Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Drive Issue 2008 R1200RT

Don't forget the 3/9 & 6/12 checks - hold the wheel on opposite sides & see if you can wiggle it. Pretty solid sign of FD failure if you can move it more than a teensy bit.

--chiba
    --
    Your MOA Digital Media Editor since 2015 | Lifetime Member #87301
    '05 R1200GS | '98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar | '19 Indian FTR1200S
    Check out Chasing the Horizon, a podcast by, for & about motorcyclers

Paul,

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - I'm adding that info to your thread title.

It's also worth checking if your rear brake caliper is dragging. That's almost endemic on the hexheads.. it appears BMW or whoever assembled it failed to lubricate the pins the sliding caliper slides on. Piece of cake to do: remove the brake pads (pull out pin and jiggle them out, you don't have to remove the caliper); Move the caliper all the way in toward the wheel; Pull back the little accordian boots on the pins; Put a small dab of high-temp grease on the pin; Slide the caliper in and out until the grease is spread evenly; Recenter the caliper on the rotor and jiggle the pads back in. Make sure the wheel turns easily.

I have seen dragging pads cause a very hot rear drive just due to heat being transferred.. and greasing the pins will make the rear pads last longer, give you better fuel mileage (probably..) and lessen the brake dust on the rear wheel.

FWIW - as far as the infrared thermometer gun - Harbor Freight. It's not a Fluke, but it also only costs about 1/5th the price. Cheap enough to buy for giggles.

Since you're so close to being under warranty - appealing to your friendly local dealer for assistance (assuming it is the rear drive) should yield results if the dealer has serviced the bike. Chances are less if you DIY, and probably even less if you DIY and didn't buy the materials and supplies from the dealer. Having a record of the required 12k change interval service for the rear drive will help. As Paul Glaves has mentioned many times - it's really up to the dealer if you will get assistance. If they tell BMW you're a good customer, and likely to be a repeat customer, BMW generally coughs up good-will money.

Good luck, and PLEASE include year/model in the thread titles.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Checked mine, all good:)

My '07 GSA is at 65000m now and the FD checked out aok this AM. I took the wheel and brake calipre off the bike, to check the feel with no load on it, as suggested above. The bearing had no roughness at all, very smooth. Now, just get me to PA and back! Thanks for the Harbor Frieght tip and I have one of the stores near me. I did a 30 mile ride and found I could touch my FD for more than a few seconds, so its NOT too hot, thanks goodness. Randy, "veteran" FD failure on my last bike, '01KLT1200.

New tires installed. Still makes a growling noise. Doesn't seem like a brake rotor issue.
    I think it's dealer bound tomorrow morning and I hope we have this resolved by the rally in PA.
    No side to side play, just a deep growling noise.
    Paul Witt
    2008 R1200RT
    Greensboro, NC

Paul,
    My dealer ( Hermy's, Port Clinton, Pa) rebuilt my final drive in a day. The cost was around $600. I had a choice as to which sealed bearing could be installed. BMW with a two year unlimited mileage warranty or aftermarket with no warranty. Price was about the same and Hermy's had both in stock. I went aftermarket. If your problem is the final drive you might ask your dealer if they stock aftermarket along with the OE and ask their opinion especially if BMW isn't going to pick up the tab.
    Good Luck and I hope you make Bloomsburg!

jduke
    nplenzick,
    Please don't take this the wrong way, which is easy online, I'm just curious.
    If the prices were the same for the BMW or the aftermarket, yet the BMW comes with a 2 year warranty, why would you go with the aftermarket?

The dealers initial opinion is a transmission or drive shaft issue. It will be a week until then can get to it.
    Paul Witt
    2008 R1200RT
    Greensboro, NC

Rally Rat

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jduke View Post
    nplenzick,
    If the prices were the same for the BMW or the aftermarket, yet the BMW comes with a 2 year warranty, why would you go with the aftermarket?
    I was offered the same options when my FD failed, but while the cost of any dealer-repair (partial rebuild) is around $600, the cost of the BMW-warranted repair will still be in the neighborhood of $1,900.

So, still a decision that needs to be pondered on an individual basis, considering affordability, trust in provided parts, desire for a warranty period following the repairs, etc.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 06-30-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Ouch!
    Let's hope it's just a u-joint or something.
    Paul Witt
    2008 R1200RT
    Greensboro, NC

This wouldn't be the first driveshaft that failed that way on an RT. I was riding with a friend on an '07 R1200RT - about 42k miles on it. He noticed something felt weird, so he pulled off. We put the bike on the centerstand, and rotating the rear wheel we could feel a hard spot in the rotation. We decided the bike wasn't going anywhere under it's own power.

One of the U joints (the rear one IIRC) had puked out all the needle bearings. Fix was a new driveshaft - about $500 plus labor (swingarm has to come off to install it..) Contego Direct's policy paid all but $50 of the cost. He also used the roadside-assistance from Contego, who sent a great guy with a pickup truck and a well equipped enclosed motorcycle trailer. They towed it about 45 miles to a friends shop - no charge, then drove my friend home to his house (another 10 miles or so out of their way.)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by jduke View Post
    nplenzick,
    A warranty means absolutely nothing when your stranded by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. They have had very good luck using aftermarket bearings. Even the service manager used one in his GS when his FD went out. If it's good enough for him its good enough for me.

Update....
    I went by the dealer this morning and the final drive is shot.
    I'm waiting BMW's decision to cover or not to cover.
    By the way......the gear oil in this final drive has been replaced every 6K miles so FD issues are not a lubrication issue.......I would say it's a design issue. They are HOPING to have me up and running by the PA rally.
    Paul Witt
    2008 R1200RT
    Greensboro, NC

It could be a lubrication issue, just not a lubrication issue with the gear oil.
    The service manager took his apart when his went bad and noticed the lack of grease in the sealed bearing. It could be that the grease their vendor is using is inadequate.

That would make sense because there was no metal debris in the fluid.
    I don't know if we will ever know the true reason, as I'm sure they will not be opening up the FD at the dealer for me to look at.
    Paul Witt
    2008 R1200RT
    Greensboro, NC

On the Road

Rear seal

Recently took my used 2010 K1300 GT to the dealer for a recall (bought with 17,600 mls.). They discovered oil on my rear wheel and final drive. Had to wait for them to order and receive the new rear drive seal they said it needed. Replaced under warranty and so far no more issues. Honestly it worries me a little...don't want a catastrophic RD failure. Is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks!