• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Final Drive Issue 2008 R1200RT

nplenzick,
Please don't take this the wrong way, which is easy online, I'm just curious.
If the prices were the same for the BMW or the aftermarket, yet the BMW comes with a 2 year warranty, why would you go with the aftermarket?

The dealers initial opinion is a transmission or drive shaft issue. It will be a week until then can get to it.:cry

nplenzick,
If the prices were the same for the BMW or the aftermarket, yet the BMW comes with a 2 year warranty, why would you go with the aftermarket?

I was offered the same options when my FD failed, but while the cost of any dealer-repair (partial rebuild) is around $600, the cost of the BMW-warranted repair will still be in the neighborhood of $1,900.

So, still a decision that needs to be pondered on an individual basis, considering affordability, trust in provided parts, desire for a warranty period following the repairs, etc. :dunno

Last edited:
This wouldn't be the first driveshaft that failed that way on an RT. I was riding with a friend on an '07 R1200RT - about 42k miles on it. He noticed something felt weird, so he pulled off. We put the bike on the centerstand, and rotating the rear wheel we could feel a hard spot in the rotation. We decided the bike wasn't going anywhere under it's own power.

One of the U joints (the rear one IIRC) had puked out all the needle bearings. Fix was a new driveshaft - about $500 plus labor (swingarm has to come off to install it..) Contego Direct's policy paid all but $50 of the cost. He also used the roadside-assistance from Contego, who sent a great guy with a pickup truck and a well equipped enclosed motorcycle trailer. They towed it about 45 miles to a friends shop - no charge, then drove my friend home to his house (another 10 miles or so out of their way.)

nplenzick,

A warranty means absolutely nothing when your stranded by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. They have had very good luck using aftermarket bearings. Even the service manager used one in his GS when his FD went out. If it's good enough for him its good enough for me.

Update....
I went by the dealer this morning and the final drive is shot.
I'm waiting BMW's decision to cover or not to cover.
By the way......the gear oil in this final drive has been replaced every 6K miles so FD issues are not a lubrication issue.......I would say it's a design issue. They are HOPING to have me up and running by the PA rally.

It could be a lubrication issue, just not a lubrication issue with the gear oil.
The service manager took his apart when his went bad and noticed the lack of grease in the sealed bearing. It could be that the grease their vendor is using is inadequate.

That would make sense because there was no metal debris in the fluid.
I don't know if we will ever know the true reason, as I'm sure they will not be opening up the FD at the dealer for me to look at.

Rear seal

Recently took my used 2010 K1300 GT to the dealer for a recall (bought with 17,600 mls.). They discovered oil on my rear wheel and final drive. Had to wait for them to order and receive the new rear drive seal they said it needed. Replaced under warranty and so far no more issues. Honestly it worries me a little...don't want a catastrophic RD failure. Is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks!:bolt

Recently took my used 2010 K1300 GT to the dealer for a recall (bought with 17,600 mls.). They discovered oil on my rear wheel and final drive. Had to wait for them to order and receive the new rear drive seal they said it needed. Replaced under warranty and so far no more issues. Honestly it worries me a little...don't want a catastrophic RD failure. Is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks!:bolt

I'm not "concerned" - I do glance at the rear drive (and the rest of the bike) when filling it up with gas. Seems the simple preventive thing to do.. if you see a leak, then get it fixed. If not - keep on riding it.

BTW - although this isn't the K bike forum - I'm leaving this here since the rear drives are about identical except the K bike one is oriented in a different (stupid - [think Archie Bunker describing the house next door]) manner.. ;)

Update.
BMW is now offering 75% coverage for the FD. I find this a little hard to swallow since the bike was only 2 weeks out of warranty and in reality, a FD should last a lot longer than 32K.
No parts yet, I'm told they should be in next weeks. Does anyone know an address or phone number for customer service?

Phone number

Sad to say this, but you might just as well call your local Garden Shop if you think a call to BMW Customer Service will help do ANYTHING. BMW is here to SELL-SELL-SELL, they are NOT interested in your input regarding their products or services.

Hi Randy and all, a good way to check things like this is with a non-contact infrared thermometer. I'm a big fan of the Fluke brand but there are others.
F-62_03a_200p.jpg

Some don't want to make the investment for what is considered an occasional use tool but it actually can be used quite a bit. An example would be checking the basement temps this past winter as it was a tough one. On the bike you can check side to side temps and even the temps of the heated hand grips. HTH Gary

No that is both cool AND handy. Thanks for the post!

Update.
BMW is now offering 75% coverage for the FD. I find this a little hard to swallow since the bike was only 2 weeks out of warranty and in reality, a FD should last a lot longer than 32K.
No parts yet, I'm told they should be in next weeks. Does anyone know an address or phone number for customer service?

Should you decide to 'dance' with BMW Customer Service, let us all know how that turns out. :scratch

Another '08 final drive failure!

Update.

My '08 RT's FD has also failed (mine with only 23400 miles). No play at all at 9/3 or 6/12. I removed the FD from the bike and have found it to be rough (tight & loose spots in the rotation of the wheel mount flange). Also noted growling noise when riding that I also thought was tire noise. My local BMW shop (BMW of Western Oregon is checking with BMW NA to see if they will offer up any support. I am encouraged that BMW is offering you 75%. At this point I'd be happy with that since I am looking at doing it my self otherwise.

Just curious....what is the last 5 digits of your VIN? Mine is 12680. I believe they use this number to determine the validity of the warranty period. I the meantime I'm in a holding pattern waiting to hear back from the shop. The weather is finally getting decent here in rainy Oregon and here I sit with a broken scooter. :mad

Good luck....I hope it work outs for us both!

Last edited:
My '08 RT's FD has also failed (mine with only 23400 miles). No play at all at 9/3 or 6/12. I removed the FD from the bike and have found it to be rough (tight & loose spots in the rotation of the wheel mount flange). Also noted growling noise when riding that I also thought was tire noise. My local BMW shop (BMW of Western Oregon is checking with BMW NA to see if they will offer up any support. I am encouraged that BMW is offering you 75%. At this point I'd be happy with that since I am looking at doing it my self otherwise.

Just curious....what is the last 5 digits of your VIN? Mine is 12680. I believe they use this number to determine the validity of the warranty period. I the meantime I'm in a holding pattern waiting to hear back from the shop. The weather is finally getting decent here in rainy Oregon and here I sit with a broken scooter. :mad

Good luck....I hope it work outs for us both!

I feel for you (been there) and hope for the best.

I just wish the owners who keep insisting this problem is either 'insignificant', or "has been solved" will set down the BMW koolaid once and for all.

Not unless we bark at corporate BMW with one voice will there even be hope of a credible retro-fit. :banghead

Last edited:
Just curious....what is the last 5 digits of your VIN? Mine is 12680. I believe they use this number to determine the validity of the warranty period.

The last seven of the VIN tell the model bike and the date of manufacture (among other thngs) to the dealer. See this website (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/), put in the last seven of your VIN, and you'll have access to the correct parts diagrams too.

My VIN shows manufacture date of 12/2007, but my warranty expires on 8/3/2011...three years after it went into service.

I feel for you (been there) and hope for the best.

I just wish the owners who keep insisting this problem is either 'insignificant', or "has been solved" will set down the BMW koolaid once and for all.

Not unless we snap at corporate BMW with one voice will there even be hope of a credible retro-fit. :banghead

Agreed. If I ever buy another motorcycle, new or used, it will not be a BMW.

Back