• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R1200RT Windshield Swing Arm Support Bracket

T

thundley

Hi all,

Was wondering if any of you have had to replace the windshield swing arm support bracket/s on your bikes and if so, how difficult of a job this is? See the attached image, I have circled the part in question.

BMW Windshied Swing Arm.jpg

My clutch side bracket has broken most likely due to the additional stress involved with an aftermarket (larger) windshield. I have heard there are aftermarket aluminum brackets available?

Also, there are some round retainer springs that hold this bracket in place (item #13 in the attached image). Is a special tool needed to remove/replace these?

Thanks in advance for any support with this!

Tom
2007 R1200RT

Hey Tom.

Here is what you want:

http://www.westtoolff.com/index_files/West_tool_products.htm

Replace both brackets, not just the broken one.

I did this on my 05 a couple of years back. It was not difficult, and required no special tools. Not dropping and losing the small parts was the biggest challenge. I had to remove some pieces of the faring, but nothing difficult.

I made a post with pics on XPLOR, but XPLOR is now dead and gone.

It really is not a tough job to do. The new brackets are strong and well made.

Thanks Rob!

How are those retainer clips removed, no special tool needed? screwdriver, needle nose pliers?

Tom

Hi all,

Was wondering if any of you have had to replace the windshield swing arm support bracket/s on your bikes and if so, how difficult of a job this is? See the attached image, I have circled the part in question.

View attachment 28673

My clutch side bracket has broken most likely due to the additional stress involved with an aftermarket (larger) windshield. I have heard there are aftermarket aluminum brackets available?

Also, there are some round retainer springs that hold this bracket in place (item #13 in the attached image). Is a special tool needed to remove/replace these?

Thanks in advance for any support with this!

Tom
2007 R1200RT
I have a guy who is a BMW owner who makes replacement supports himself. I bought a set from him and they are of the highest quality, with German sourced bushings. I beleive they are solid stainless and painted black. I have permission to pass on his email address.

I originally came in contact wiht him either here at this site or BMWlt.com or possibly BMWst.com.

He sells his struts for $65.00 including airmail shipping to US (He is in Canada) contact him at jkwinchester@sympatico.ca

These struts are beautifully done and have operated flawlessly for well over a year now. I usually run a V-stream. But these things are truly bulletproof!

He made a set for himsellf and then posted that he had made a few for sale back when I bought mine.

A couple of days ago I conversed with him and he had 2 fresh sets sitting on his workbench ready for shipping!

His name is Jim Winchester Here is a photo of his Yep solid Stianless struts! http://gallery.mac.com/jkwinchester1#100335&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Jim also makes a RAM Mount some folks have used. here is the thread!

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=33949&highlight=jakfrost

TURNS OUT HE IS FLYBIKE ON BMWMOA!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Rob!

How are those retainer clips removed, no special tool needed? screwdriver, needle nose pliers?

Tom

I don't specifically remember, it's been too long. But I know that I did it in the shop, with 'normal' tools. So a screw driver, needle nose, etc. I do remember dropping one and hunting for it on the floor, and I recall some minor difficulty, but nothing that was overly difficult. Certainly no special tools.

I have a set of the West Tool supports sitting on the workbench. The OEM's haven't broken yet, but I'm going to go ahead and install them anyway. Exactly which pieces of the plastic need to be removed?

Here's the only picture I have showing what I did. I removed the mirrors and it appears I separated the dash upper part. I don't remember exactly, as I said, but what you see here was not difficult to do. I know it took maybe an hour, working at a relaxed pace, including a good buffing of the windshield.

Attachments

• IMG_1686.jpg
    IMG_1686.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 239
I bought them from Flybike: jkwinchester@sympatico.ca

The other source was weeks out & I needed them ASAP. They were easy to install & fit perfectly. As for the clips, they are half moons, just pick them out with a small screwdriver & give them a little squish to close them up a scoch before reinstalling them. Very very simple...

I bought them from Flybike: jkwinchester@sympatico.ca

The other source was weeks out & I needed them ASAP. They were easy to install & fit perfectly. As for the clips, they are half moons, just pick them out with a small screwdriver & give them a little squish to close them up a scoch before reinstalling them. Very very simple...

Didya read my post 3 posts above yours?

I just replaced one of mine on my 07 R1200Rt.
I didn't even think to see if there was aftermarket ones, so I bought the OEM part.

Remove the mirrors. remove all the windshield parts. Remove the screws that hold the top and side of the part that holds the gauges. I was able to pull back the top of that part to gain access to the bracket.

Use a small screwdriver or needlenose to get the circlips off. But be VERY careful they don't fly away. Go slow and use one hand on the circlip.

I hope that helps!

support arm bushings (washer)

Does anyone know where to obtain replacement bushings (washers) for the support arms? These are the ones not shown on BMW micro fiche.......

Please reply to rjgrhm@sbcglobal.net

Thanks,

Ron

Windshield Arm

My right hand bracket broke on a trip to Alaska. A dose of superglue every other day got me home. I bought the aftermarket brackets and they look to be stronger.

These are the instructions that were included with my stainless steel support arms:

Windshield Upper Support Arms Replacement procedure

1. Remove your windshield.
2. Remove the upper side fairing panels, ( the ones with the roundel's ).
3. Remove the mirrors. They 'pull rearward' off. I put a little silicone on the tabs after prior to reinstalling them..
4. Remove all the fasteners for the instrument facia. Remember the 2 black ones go in the top of the 'sun shade' portion
5. Run the windshield about 2/ 3rd of the way up.
6. Remove the plastic piece (shield/guard) between the arms, it lifts rearward and up to remove, no fasteners. Carefully remove the cir-clips on the ends of the pins holding the arm in place.
8. Using a pair of needle nose pliers lift the spring where it goes over the arm. Just move over and off the arm for now.
9. Now 'tap' the pin all the way out, don't let the spring fall down behind the instrument panel!
10. Remove the pin from the other end of the arm.
11. Reverse the installation with the new arm.
Repeat for the other side.

That's the procedure I followed and had no issues

YMMV

Back