• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Zumo 660 Media Capacity??

The issue is that Windows Media Player uses a different format for music than that supported by your Garmin. You need to translate the windows files to something the Garmin (and most other MP3 players) will understand.

Garmin has all bases covered here, yes? The Zumo won't play itunes default AAC either. :banghead

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. They will be explored at length.

But for today, pushing away from the computer and getting out there to enjoy great summer weather.

Hope to resolve all this before Bloomsburg.

Otherwise, look for the guy with a 2' boom box strapped to the trunk luggage rack of his R1200RT - that would be me! :dance

2 hours and 10 minutes on the phone with a very patient Garmin Geek ('Jessie') and we've managed to increase song capacity from 24 to 91.

Still not where I want to be with this gadget, but some progress.

Hope I can figure out how to get another hundred or so imported?! :scratch

I simply look at my I-Tunes collection, highlight an album's songs, right click and chose Create MP3 version. I then highlight and copy all the MP3 created versions and paste them into a new file titled MP3, each with the same categories, albums and artists as I have in the I-Tunes library. Next I tab back to the I-Tunes library where the MP3s are still highlighted, and hit delete. (If you don't complete this step, you end up with a double collection of I-Tunes and MP3s.)

Once there are a suitable number of MP3s in the MP3 library, simply copy them onto the card, place card in the Zumo 660, and browse to find the artist, album, or genre that you wish to listen. It did take me a while the first time to find them on the card, but ever thereafter, they are there at my finger tips. At different times of the day, music can be a welcome relief.

Best of luck with the music, Greenwald.

Zumo woes

THread hijack engaged:

First off my apologies for the hijack, but this thread is dealing with the same issues I'm having.

I've got the Zumo 660 and a Kingston 16GB class 10 card for it. I plugged the card into my laptop, made some new files on the card and loaded them with MP3s from a external harddrive. Then plugged the card into the Zumo and.....nothing. When I'm browsing through the Zumo I can't find the files where the songs are. When the card is plugged into the Zumo where are the songs supposed to be? Media? Nothing is showing under there.
All the songs are MP3s, but do I need to go through Itunes to convert the songs to a specific type of MP3?

I've read this thread and have no clue what "seperate directories/file at root level" are. If someone could write down (Step 1: Grab SD card, etc) an Idiots Guide to loading songs onto a Zumo, I'll happily buy you a cold beverage or two at the Rally! :drink

Heck, if you could PM about Zumo help, I'll PM you back with my phone number and you can talk me through it or I'll call you. I know it can't be that hard to do, and any assistance would be appreciated.

:Thread hijack disengaged, again my apologies.
C

THread hijack engaged:

First off my apologies for the hijack, but this thread is dealing with the same issues I'm having.

I've got the Zumo 660 and a Kingston 16GB class 10 card for it. I plugged the card into my laptop, made some new files on the card and loaded them with MP3s from a external harddrive. Then plugged the card into the Zumo and.....nothing. When I'm browsing through the Zumo I can't find the files where the songs are. When the card is plugged into the Zumo where are the songs supposed to be? Media? Nothing is showing under there.
All the songs are MP3s, but do I need to go through Itunes to convert the songs to a specific type of MP3?

I've read this thread and have no clue what "seperate directories/file at root level" are. If someone could write down (Step 1: Grab SD card, etc) an Idiots Guide to loading songs onto a Zumo, I'll happily buy you a cold beverage or two at the Rally! :drink

Heck, if you could PM about Zumo help, I'll PM you back with my phone number and you can talk me through it or I'll call you. I know it can't be that hard to do, and any assistance would be appreciated.

:Thread hijack disengaged, again my apologies.
C

Casey - you in no way hijacked this thread. Glad I'm not afloat in the Zumo lifeboat by myself.

I was on the phone for an eternity with patient guys at GARMIN HQ, and even they could not get songs loaded and recognized at will.

Some users have had success - others, not so lucky.

I too long for a step-by-step flowchart for getting songs from Windows Media Player into the Zumo 660.

Too bad GPS issues never end up as seminars at our Rally - suspect they would be well attended! :dunno

Zumo 665 Audio

Hi,

I have spent a lot of time trying to load music files to my Zumo 665. I have an 8GB micro SD card installed and I follow the "directions" from Garmin which say to simply copy/paste the files to the SD card and everything will be fine, but I have copied several files in several different ways (ie, in folders, sub-folders, individual songs, etc), but I always get the message "No MP3 files found" even though I can find them using My Computer and even play them, but the Zumo can't seem to recognize them. I'm using Windows 7 and I have tried both Media Player and just copying and pasting the individual song files. I'm not a computer whiz, but I'm reasonably proficient. In reading the posts ahead of me, I'm not even getting as far as others have. So far I get nothing. When I go to "Properties" I get a file extension of .wma, which I suspect is part of the problem, but I cannot figure out a way to save it as an MP3 file except in a Playlist where I can save it as an M3U file, but I have even tried that with no success. All I get is "No MP3 file found."

thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Hi,
When I go to "Properties" I get a file extension of .wma, which I suspect is part of the problem, but I cannot figure out a way to save it as an MP3 file

The Zumo will not recognize .wma files; only .mp3 files.

Review earlier messages in this thread for how to convert .wma to .mp3.

Lee

The Zumo will not recognize .wma files; only .mp3 files.

Review earlier messages in this thread for how to convert .wma to .mp3.

Lee

Been there - done that.

Still little or no success.

Glad things worked out for you, though. :dunno

PS: A Geek at Best Buy is going to try and help me this Thursday - says WMP (Windows Media Player) is at best, a 'tempermental beast.' He uses better language than I already have!

Last edited:
MP3 Conversion for Zumo

Hello again,

Sorry to be late with feedback, but I had to go out of town for last week and didn't get everything finished before I left.

The Sound Switch program worked great. When it "converts" the files it actually makes a copy of the .wma file as an MP3 file, so you wind up with two files of everything, which is ok. I went through and deleted all the original .wma files so there were only MP3 files to copy over to the Zumo. I had everything organized in folders according to artist or genre and it goes a lot faster if you 'Add' folders one at a time in Sound Switch and then clear them out when each one has finished being converted before adding the next one. You wind up with the converted songs listed individually in your music library outside of the folders you have created (assuming you had them organized that way). So I deleted the .wma songs in each folder after they had been converted and then cut and pasted the MP3 songs back into the appropriate folder. I saw no reason to have both types. Then I copied all the folders over to the Zumo, took it out to the bike and put it in its cradle, plugged in my earbuds and listened to the music. I now have 510 songs to listen to and adding more will be pretty simple.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

Last edited:
Hello again,

Sorry to be late with feedback, but I had to go out of town for last week and didn't get everything finished before I left.

The Sound Switch program worked great. When it "converts" the files it actually makes a copy of the .wma file as an MP3 file, so you wind up with two files of everything, which is ok. I went through and deleted all the original .wma files so there were only MP3 files to copy over to the Zumo. I had everything organized in folders according to artist or genre and it goes a lot faster if you 'Add' folders one at a time in Sound Switch and then clear them out when each one has finished being converted before adding the next one. You wind up with the converted songs listed individually in your music library outside of the folders you have created (assuming you had them organized that way). So I deleted the .wma songs in each folder after they had been converted and then cut and pasted the MP3 songs back into the appropriate folder. I saw no reason to have both types. Then I copied all the folders over to the Zumo, took it out to the bike and put it in its cradle, plugged in my earbuds and listened to the music. I now have 510 songs to listen to and adding more will be pretty simple.

I'm jealous!

Spent an hour at Best Buy the other day with a Geek. It appears I will still be limping out to Bloomsburg with only 91 songs.

Oh well - at least I should know the lyrics quite well by next Thursday! :dance

PS: Imagine if we could lure GARMIN out to one of our National Rallies (2012?!) for several 'tech sessions,' and members could submit questions/issues ahead of time, so that a platform of explanations could be created!

Hello again,
Then I copied all the folders over to the Zumo, took it out to the bike and put it in its cradle, plugged in my earbuds and listened to the music. I now have 510 songs to listen to and adding more will be pretty simple.

Glad you got it working OK. It's a common error to try to get the Zumo to play .wma files. It simply doesn't recognize that file type, but does fine with .mp3s.

Lee

Back