Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Info

Emergency Info

I carry emergency info in a pocket, but wondered if a first responder would come across it if I weren't able to point it out. I wanted the information available without a telephone line or cell (bye-bye Medic Alert bracelet) or a computer (bye-bye memory stick). The AeroStich velcro-mount emergency pocket on the arm didn't appeal to me.

I found http://www.designsondemand.com/. They make custom cloth labels at very reasonable prices. I played around with fonts and colors, and voil?:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Yarddog
    In the heat of the moment, it's likely that any emergency info is gonna get passed up...especially if you're lying on the pocket that it's in...I reckon it's better than nothing if you've really got a medical issue...what I used to do was put my blood type at the back of my helmet, but I've even got away from doin' that anymore...

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Good idea David. Especially if you have an allergic reaction to common use first responder supplies
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Yarddog View Post
    In the heat of the moment, it's likely that any emergency info is gonna get passed up...especially if you're lying on the pocket that it's in...
    I figure if I'm being worked on, I'm probably on my back. The label's on an upper chest pocket.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

I think it's a good idea. Show it to Aerostich... maybe a future option?
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS

I wear a dog tag, customized with these folks -
    www.roadid.com

I put a horseshoe image on one side for luck. If luck runs out, emergency info on the other side. Enough space for name, hometown, contacts #s, blood type, allergy info.
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org

I have been a paramedic for 20 years. The one thing everyone from the cops to the hospitals are looking for is your wallet. Every one of these entities will need identification, emergency contact information and in the case of the paramedics and hospital, insurance and medical information. If you want to duplicate this information and store it in the pocket as a redundancy, by all means please do so. All the new gadgets and ICE are OK, but the wallet is the gold standard in these situations.
    2015 R1200GS Adventure

frankiep
    I have my name, DL#, blood type and allergies printed on a label on my helmet.

+1 on what Kurt says. I am also a paramedic with over 30 years experience. I am going to remove that Aerostitch, either before or after we are in the ambulance. I may cut it off or I may help you take it off. I will look for a wallet but I may not notice your sticker in the heat of the moment.

However, anything you can do to improve your chances of me finding your medical information is a big help! Unfortunately there is no recognized standard location for people to store information, that has meant the wallet, or purse becomes the place we look.

Ride safe!

John

Quote Originally Posted by 20975 View Post
    Unfortunately there is no recognized standard location for people to store information, that has meant the wallet, or purse becomes the place we look.
    John,

Thanks for your comment. I'm sure you're right about there being no standard location: for example, I keep my wallet in the tankbag. Duplicating the data in the jacket pocket can't hurt, and might help.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Rally Rat
    Also keep my wallet in my tank bag, easier at gas stops and so on. Great thread, I'll be adding emergency info to other locations that first responders will be looking for. Thanks, all, for the heads up!

Yarddog
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    I figure if I'm being worked on, I'm probably on my back. The label's on an upper chest pocket.
    It's better than nothing at all...but having been in this position, I agree with the concept that the wallet is the gold standard...

I just print out info on HI VIZ paper & tape onto my helmet as frankiep & kurt1305 said and free
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

Quote Originally Posted by mvscorpio View Post
    I wear a dog tag, customized with these folks -
    www.roadid.com

I put a horseshoe image on one side for luck. If luck runs out, emergency info on the other side. Enough space for name, hometown, contacts #s, blood type, allergy info.
    I also use the Dog Tag (actually an old set of mine from a previous life). It's simple and works. Lots of places will put what ever you want on a set of dog tags.

In addition, I have an ICE (In Case of Emergency) listing in the directory of my cell phone. A lot of emergency responders will check a cell phone for the ICE listing and the names/numbers of family members.

Lightbulb flash/ thumb drive

I wear a USB Flash drive labelled I.C.E. on a lanyard round my neck- it holds loads of information about emergency contacts, medical history etc.
    I figure that all emergency vehicles are now equipped with laptops, allowing instant access to the required details.
    Sometimes carry my wallet in my tankbag and it may not be found quickly.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    Ian Robert "Scoobs" Scobie

'92 K75RT, '02 F650GS Dakar;
    But fondly miss.. R80RT, R45,CB250RS,DT125MX,TS100