• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bike hauling trailer

Being an old guy and riding a R-RS, a 350 mile day knocks me out. To go to rallies and some such, I was thinking of buying something to haul my bike.
Nothing fancy just a basic put the bike on it, hook it up to my SUV and go.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions except what a wimp I am and man up and just ride.
:help

Dedicated Bike Trailer

IMHO, these light weight mesh bottomed trailers are fine for short hauls. But if you are gonna go any distance, the security afforded by a quality bike trailer cannot be beat. I came across a 2004 Kendon dual rail with stone guard for a super price. Yep, a Harley guy. The torsion bar suspension allows for one or two to be hauled equally well and it can double as a nice cargo trailer. It is a bit above your 'nothing fancy' criteria but after all, I am hauling my Girls. This was especially welcomed last Saturday when, after being on the Lee Parks range all day in blistering heat, we loaded up and drove the 200+ miles home in the comfy, AC'd van. My riding partner slept all the way home after getting a bite to eat. FWIW - I did notice a Kendon single rail on e-bay, in Summerville, SC with a current bid of $910.

I bought a personal watercraft trailer converted to a flatbed several years ago for almost nothing...I put short sides on it, for protection, and one of those whatevers that holds the front tire, and some hold-down points on it, and it works great! Can hold two bikes...and looks good doin' it!

I bought the 'Economax' model:

http://www.trailerinfo.com/

Treated wood floor, steel mesh ramp, full sized tires. I chose the 4x6 one, as it fits perfectly behind my Pontiac Vibe. I can haul two smaller bikes (F650GS, 250cc dual sports, etc) or one of the larger bikes (R1200C, R850, Guzzi EV, Guzzi Scura).

I have three attach points for the Condor on it, depending on what's being hauled. Having the full sized ramp is so nice, especially when we are unloading one of the big bikes.

I plan on adding some LED's to the back and sides and a couple of tie down loops as well.

Not a great picture of it, but.... (350 lb gas welding table sitting on it in the pic)

1e6f80b7.jpg

Dedicated Bike Trailer

Jim, I bought a Kenyon dual rail also but getting a bike on it turned out to be somewhat of a dance with death. How do you manage the Harleys?

Once I got the bikes on the trailer it was great. Drove 1000 miles with no trouble. I really like it but wish I could figure out a safer easier way to get the bikes on.

Mary
2007 R1200RT

Fortunately, with the economy the way it is, there are a lotta good trailers out there for a whole lotta nothin', costwise...If I was to do it, I'd target one of those utility trailers with the tailgate that flops all the way onto the ground, surely the most secure way to get the bike onto the trailer...the one thing ya gotta worry about is the breakover between the gate and the bed of the trailer...if your bike is low, you could highcenter it there...

Zaasu... I know your pain... I'm getting on in years as well. I think the Kendon is a great trailer, but when I considered it's cost and the problem with finding a place to store it, we decided to rent a trailer. Last year's major trip for us was the Colorado Rockies. We rented a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul for 1-1/2 weeks and it cost us less than $200. Pulled it from Southern Cal to Greeley, Colorado and back with the wife's Lexus GX470 and it pulled really well with our BMWR1200RT on it. I don't know if you have that type of trailer rental available where you live, but you might consider that if you don't think you'll use the trailer much.

Here's a link for the trailer that we rented...

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=MT

Jim, I bought a Kenyon dual rail also but getting a bike on it turned out to be somewhat of a dance with death. How do you manage the Harleys?

Elgin Mary,

I am not the Hardley guy. LOL That is who I bought it from as he had to upgrade to a 'covered/enclosed' unit. I guess they melt if they get wet. LOL The key to any loading is the ramp. If there is one thing wrong with the Kendon, it is the ramp. It is OK for emergencies as it will work and stows quite well. But, the shorter the ramp, the steeper the angle and the harder it is for one person to load. I built my own ramp that is a bit longer and a bit wider out of a 2x8 piece of pressure treated wood. When not in use, i just bungee it to the trailer or put it in the van. Now, I did just order an aluminum folding rascal that is about 7or8' long from my local bike shop after watching them use theirs. The longer the ramp, the less the angle and the easier it is for one person to load. The other trick to using the Kendon is to get the wheel chocks adjusted so there is no 'slop' when it is engaged. This will keep the bike upright and stable enough to let you do the tie down easily. While one person CAN do it, if possible it is always better to have two. Hilda is a bit tricky because it is hard to see the front tire over all the tupperware. Heidi, on the other hand is lighter and it is much easier to see her front tire. OBTW, never try to load unless the trailer is connected to the tow vehicle. Hope this helps.

I bought the 'Economax' model:

http://www.trailerinfo.com/

Treated wood floor, steel mesh ramp, full sized tires. I chose the 4x6 one, as it fits perfectly behind my Pontiac Vibe. I can haul two smaller bikes (F650GS, 250cc dual sports, etc) or one of the larger bikes (R1200C, R850, Guzzi EV, Guzzi Scura).

The wide ramp IS VERY NICE, I agree, But, if you get one of the utility trailers, make sure it is long enough to allow the ramp to fold all the way up to the stowed position with your longest bike in the desired position. Heidi will not fit on one this size unless she is catty-cornered which then turns it into a one bike trailer. Also, with a leaf spring suspension, weight distribution is just a tad bit of a concern, if hauling a heavy bike on one side an a lighter one on the other. Actually, had I not found the Kendon at such a good price, I most likely would have gone with a 4x8 or 4x10 utility, if I could have found one with a torsion bar suspension for the same money. Then again, storage of such a long, non-folding trailer that I could not stand up on end in the garage would have been an issue. All in all, both the utility types and the dedicated bike trailers will adequately do the job. All that really matters is what your needs and moreover your wants are when hauling, what your needs and wants are when not hauling, ease of loading and securing, add on accessories needed or wanted (wheel chocks? stone guards? longer ramps? tongue jack? trailer dolly?) and tech specs (size of receiver? size of ball? tongue weight? hitch height to level trailer?) and what fits your wallet. Get what fits YOU.

Last edited:
The wide ramp IS VERY NICE, I agree, But, if you get one of the utility trailers, make sure it is long enough to allow the ramp to fold all the way up to the stowed position with your longest bike in the desired position.

With my two Guzzi EV's there was about 1/2" of space between the fender and the ramp. First time I loaded one on the trailer.... eek! I ended up letting out some of the air in the front tire and using and extra set of ratcheting tie downs to pull the front end closer forward. That worked. I have since move the mount all the way to the front of the trailer. Now I get about two-three inches of clearance.

Thought about getting the bigger trailer (6x5) but for as often as I haul bikes i figured it would just be a pain to haul behind my itty bitty car. I have a an 8 x10 trailer that I can haul behind the big Cummins Dodge truck if i need to haul two big bikes together.

I use my "Gator " brand, 5x10 tilting utility trailer for everything from occasional bike hauling to toting firewood out of the woods and you name it. I bought mine from a dealer, ordered WO a floor so I could put in something better than SPF 2x6's. Some use Trex, mfg lumber, I used 1" actual white oak and screwed it down with self threading flathead socket screws-it has lasted around 20 years , so far, so good!
I have a Harbor Freight bike wheel holder that is permanently fastened in. No ramp in the way, or needed,cheap(way less $ than Lowes or similar) and very sturdy. I cut the taillight brackets off after my wife hurt her leg on them. I use the cheapo mag. taillights when I run it at night.
Check trailer regs in your state as for KY there is no tag/registration required for under 2,000#'s.

I forgot to mention that with my trailer it is easy(level ground) for one person to ride on, get off and strap down the bike, what with the trailer tilting forward as you hit the wheel chock. No need for pricey, specialized trailer setups.

Last edited:
Really like the concept and easy loading. Pricey though. Easy tire changes too as the wheels are off the ground when the boom is up.

IMG3857-M.jpg

IMG3858-M.jpg

Big Wheels, Used.

Used trailers can be had for little money on the list of Craig, etc.

Whatever you do, opt for larger diameter wheels over smaller as they are easier on the bearings and better at speed.

Another option, if you're not going to trailer often, is to rent an MC trailer from U-Haul. Not need for registration or storage.

Those Baxleys are amazing (no affiliation):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaxuYMbk8Ss

I'll guess that you'd better be dern serious about yer bike trailering if you want one of these puppies! There was a guy with a motorcycle rescue business that used either one of these or something similar a few years ago...out of business now but it was sure comforting to know that someone had the ability to tow yer bike without damaging it!

I purchased a flatbed

I purchased a tilt flatbed, but found the angle a issue. I went to Harbor Freight and got a wench with a remote. I can hook up the cable and walk the bike up the ramp easily and have good control. I carry a battery to power the wench, and this works well the few times I used it (usually when my wife is going with me and she does not ride- My son and I can ride and she can spend time with daughter-in-law).

Good idea, but somebody has to do this...

Wench -- a historical British Modern English colloquial term for a lower class woman and/or promiscuous woman. Also in the 19th and early 20th centuries a derogatory term for a non Euro-American woman, the male counterpart being Buck.

Winch -- a hauling or lifting device consisting of a rope, cable, or chain winding around a horizontal rotating drum, turned by a crank or by motor or other power source; a windlass.

Never could

Nver could type or speel,

by the way might sell both the wench and the winch for the right price.

Back