• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike hauling trailer

I think I will rent a MC trailer from Uhaul to see if I even like towing.
Has anyone ever rented one from these guys? Any horror stories?
Just be careful that what you rent is road worthy. They have a lot of stuff around only intended for local, low speed use. If you'll be towing on the interstates you'll want to check to maximum allowed speed, tire condition, etc.

I rented one of their littel motorcycle trailers and went from texas to kansas to get my Dakar and it did 50 in some snow but when it tried off 75 was no problem but I was towing it behind a 4x4, 4 door pickup.

Just be careful that what you rent is road worthy. They have a lot of stuff around only intended for local, low speed use. If you'll be towing on the interstates you'll want to check to maximum allowed speed, tire condition, etc.

That is great advise. I never would thought to request this. Thank you.
I still feel a stigma about trailering. I'm sure i will get over it when I start to pack anything I want, turn on the air conditioning and eat pistachio nuts and drink pepsi whenever I want.
Viva la trailer.

I bought a converted boat trailer for hauling my bikes. This trailer tilts and has 3 rails (U Channels) that the bikes tires track in/out on. 15" tires and a heavy duty steel open grate floor allow for good footing, lots of tie down options and easy towing. A short ramp that attaches to any one of the 3 rails along with the tilt feature makes loading/unloading fast and easy.

I never would thought to request this. Thank you.
I still feel a stigma about trailering. I'm sure i will get over it when I start to pack anything I want, turn on the air conditioning and eat pistachio nuts and drink pepsi whenever I want.
Viva la trailer.

I frequently read this crap about folks looking down on others that use a trailer to transport their bike.
Do what YOU want.

We have very good friends 5+ hours away (they live on Long Island, NY) and we like to ride with them out on the east end of the Island. Problem is that it is all Interstate to get there (no fun) and our schedules are such that we typically arrive there at 10pm on a Friday night. Friday night, 9pm going through metro NYC 2-up? No thanks- we used to live there- we know to avoid that.
If we didn't trailer, I would go there for the weekend without the bike. Would that be better?
We do what we want.

BTW, we have a great 3 rail galvanized trailer for hauling one or two bikes, but if I did it all over again I would do a flat bed with some front wheel chocks.
If you have never loaded a heavy, wide tire bike on a MC trailer with rails, you have never experienced a real scary time. Many times the front, or more likely the rear tire will be off to one side or the other of the U-channel rail and the side of the tire will try to climb up the side of the rail. This radically changes the C.O.G. of the bike and it wants to fall over onto you (bad) or fall away from you (REALLY bad). I have had several close calls with a 2009 Concours and our K100RS.

Good luck in whatever way you haul that bike. :nod

John

I really suggest having second person help you put your bike on and off the trailer. Even though I could load it without the spotter's help, one time the spotter's help was most necessary to prevent damage to my K and possibly me.

Although I have only used my trailer once for rescue and the other times for delivery to and from my mechanic, I think trailering a bike a great distance when time is short or for health reasons, to be fine idea. Make no apologies for using the trailer. Enjoy the rally!

U-Haul

I rented a U-Haul MC trailer to trailer two scooters to and from a rally in NYC from Boston. No problems at all.

I rented a U-Haul MC trailer to trailer two scooters to and from a rally in NYC from Boston. No problems at all.

I use one locally for my sport bike. Long hauls would not work for me because of the tire size (8") and the trailer has a straight axle. There was a problem with one of the tires not being balanced and it vibrated at 45mph.

I would get an enclosed trailer with a ramp door. If you have a lowered bike just rise the trailer tongue and the ramp won't have such a sharp angle when entering the trailer. Also, if they don't see it, they don't want it.

There is nothing like an enclosed trailer. I had an open trailer with a drop deck that I built..

Trailerright1-vi.jpg

TrailerRightFullDrop-vi.jpg

The bike would be covered in mud, road salt etc after a trip. Zero security.........

I built a large shield on the front to stop road waste from being thrown at the bike. Helped some, but bike still got very dirty and still no security.

I bought an enclosed trailer. Fantastic. You can store the bike in it all year at home, haul the bike and all your riding cloths asnd if you keep everything stored in the trailer you are ready to go in minutes.

On the road I sleep in the trailer at rest stops. A nice fold up cot with a nice mattress is stored in the trailer at all times.

The trailer I have is 6' X10'. Very easy to tow and easy to maneuver. I've towed two bikes cross country a number of times, and with good packing skills, I've fit three bikes (V Strom, Honda 250, Suzuki 500) inside.

Two bikes leaves plenty of room for luggage, clothing, etc.

But if I was to do it again, I'd buy a single axle 12' X 6' or even a 14' X 6'. A little more room would be nice. But not necessary.

I see 6X10 trailers used in excellent shape all the time for $1500 +/-

P1010089-vi.jpg

DSC_3194-vi.jpg

I added a propane space heater.....Great for drying wet gear and to take the chill off at night...
DSC_3200-vi.jpg

A solar panel and battery supplies lights and 12V for radio etc....
DSC_3205-vi.jpg

DSC_3202-vi.jpg

An aluminum tool box from Home Depot handles tools, spare hub, etc....
DSC_3197-vi.jpg

More pictures here:
http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/vehicles/motorcycle-trailer/

One of these days (perhaps when the kid graduates from med school....) we would like to have an enclosed trailer. RV/toy hauler? Straight forward enclosed trailer ( I like the way rbertalotto has his set up)?

Then two years ago, we were at Cabelas in Owatonna, MN. There were a couple of trailers parked on a lot next to their parking lot. We found our trailer!

http://ice-shack.com/models-8x16-TeamLodge.htm

You can get it tailored to your needs and the best thing, for me is, it lowers flat to the ground. So, I won't have to stress about pushing a bike up a ramp or trying to back it back down. Mine will be red, have a drop down ramp (obviously), and since I don't plan on doing any ice fishing, no fishing holes. But then again.......

A search reveals a whole bunch of these Ice Fishing trailers that lower to the ground. Very neat designs.

But it appears the lift mechanisms might not be able to lift the trailer with a motorcycle or two inside. Can't find this info for sure.

The drop deck trailer I built (pictures above) was designed more for transporting machine tools like lathes and milling machines. It could lift and let down gently, 2500 pounds. The drop deck was nice for motorcycles but not necessary. But it was needed for long, low, chopper type bikes what couldn't crest the transition of ramp and trailer deck.

Loading Enclosed Trailer

I'm having trouble figuring out how you manage to load an enclosed trailer. The roof is too low to let you ride the bike on even if the trailer bottom is level with the ground. So, do you walk it on? Are you bent over most of the time? How do you manage to get two bikes in a small covered space? I have an open trailer that lets me have access to the bikes from the outside to guide the bike all the way up on to the wheel lock.

Mary
2007 R1200RT

Elgin Mary;

Last year i decided to get a trailer and have no regrets at all. I found a nice Kendon on E Bay and picked it up for $1050.00 about half of retail. The things others have said about the loading ramp are all true, it's a pain to deal with but effective if you have a helper. At home get a neighbor to load up, at a rally , well there is usually a cast of thousands willing to help unload.
A big plus for the Kendon is it stands up inside a garage and takes up almost no space.

I would not consider any trailer with those small 10" wheels. Have dealt with them in the past, and it was not good.

I ended up selling my Kendon for exactly what i had in it, and plan to get either a Drop Tail or an enclosed box type next year.

There is a lot to be said for arriving at a destination fresh and comfortable while the so called real riders suffer through the heat and wet. But I'm old and busted up, my hero days of thousands of miles in the saddle are about over.

With the trailer in the pictures, I use a Baxley Sport Chock and simply ride the bike up the ramp and into the chock. The chock holds the bike securly upright while I tie it down. I use a "Canyon Dancer" handlebar tiedown device and two straps on the rear.

My trailer is over 6' tall inside height and there is no issue with headspace riding the bike into the trailer.

Plenty of room for two bikes in a 10X6 with one bike forward and one bike towards the rear, side by side.. Even more room if you back the second bike in, but this requires more folks to load.

There are a couple of things to consider when you move to an enclosed trailer. It is a great thing to have the extra headroom for the rid in and stand-up factor but if you tow with a smaller car you will notice it on the road. If some how you manage to get yourself into a "tail wagging the dog" with a trailer that is a bit oversize for your tow vehicle it will make the drive harder and eat more fuel.
The way rbertalotto has his set up is excellent and while not a camper it can be a great way to get off the ground and out of the elements. That said-if you go this route I really suggest a way to lock the latch open when you are in it. This will cut down on the goofy pranks or worse. Another thing to consider is if you are using the trailer as shelter for the night and your tow vehicle has remote entry-keep the fob near you and if you suspect trouble use the panic feature. HTH :gerg Gary

Jim Rogers,

Exactly which folding ramp did you buy and how is it working? I also have a Kendon dual rail and that short ramp is a real pain in the...........well, it causes pain in just about everything.

Jim Rogers,

Exactly which folding ramp did you buy and how is it working? I also have a Kendon dual rail and that short ramp is a real pain in the...........well, it causes pain in just about everything.

I got the Prairie View Industries MC Ramp (MC1296) (http://www.pviramps.com/products/product-details/id/44). I think it was $189.00. I had to take the first one back as it was only rated at 500#. It was pretty flimsy with open grates, was narrow, and did not attach well. It was more of a dirt bike thing and similar to what one might have gotten at Harbor Freight. I would have had to Carolina Engineer something to make it stay put. This one, WOW. It is wide, rated at 1000#, has a solid deck that has 'non-skid' on it. It comes with an attaching strap that is real easy to use on the Kendon. When unfolded, it is long enough (96") where the slope to the Kendon deck is not bad at all. It is secured in the folded position with the same attaching strap and even has a carry handle installed. This pic is from their web site. If you want one with it attached to my Kendon, send me a PM.

Attachments

• pvi--mc1296--motorcycle.jpg
    pvi--mc1296--motorcycle.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 1,340
Back