• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100RS 1984 tires

caseyr100rs

Any suggestion for tires, especially the front for 1984 R100RS?
I have a Metzeler Perfect ME77 on the rear and a Michelin Macadam 50 E on the front

Someone is going to say Avon but you might find them a little too "flexible" for sporting on an RS. I have been experimenting with Michelin Pilot Activ, they can be gotten in inch or metric. I like them so far.

I like Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires on my R65LS - they ride smoothly and stick very well in the twisty backroads I use the R65 on.

I use the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 on my R100RT and am very pleased with their handling on wet and dry roads. Have found though they tend to get a little squirrely on the cut highway pavement and when you hit 90MPH they tend to get that way too.

I was using the Macadams, and I recently went to the Continental, ContiGo tire front and rear for my airheads. They are available in the correct inch sizes and they are a modern tire compound and tread design. Very sticky and great feel and feedback.

Thanks for the help. I'm not happy with my ride with what I have so am looking for a proven option. Appreciated your input.

I have been running the marathon on back and the lasertec on front. have run this combo for years.
but next year Ill switch to something better
I dont think the metzlers are what they used to be, and at thier into, when still german, were a good thing
mine are german, but Ive been told that they come from brazil now and dont hold up ( but I really dont know if true or not)

as you know motorcycles have limited items to keep you safe, so running crappy tires or old tires is a mistake

my thoughts.......if more than three years old,regardless of miles, I replace and I dont do much gravel or Id replace sooner. the last thing I want is a high speed blow out.

Bridgestone S-11 Spitfires if your are looking for high mileage tires without giving up much, if any grip, and Bridgestone BT-45s if you desire a tire that wears a bit faster. I consistently got about 10,000 miles out of an S-11 rear tire but it did square off the last 3 or 4,000 miles. I like the BT-45s handling better but it isn't going to give the same mileage as a Spitfire.

Or Pirelli Sport Demons, if you value grip and handling over mileage. On that score, much better than the Bridgestone S-11s or BT-45s, and the Metzeler Lasertecs - all of which I've run and all of which are good tires.

Since you have a twin shock, I would strongly suggest you stick with the 400x18 in rear. Even though it limits your choices, it feels right!

Back