• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

local daytime motorcycle fatality

f14rio

a 47 year old cyclist was killed by a 75 year old woman making a left turn, apparently she did wait for several cars but did not see the motorcycle.

i'm getting a modulating head lite conversion ASAP.

anybody know if there are CAN bus compatiblity issues?

thx
ed flanagan

Last edited:
That's sad to hear.

I have been using the Kisan PathBlazer modulators for years. They do attact attention. Other drivers, but also cops. Two cops put me in their laser sights and told me my headlights had "attracted" them. (They gave me tickets anyway.)

www.kisantech.com should have the right model for your canbus bike.

That's sad to hear.

I have been using the Kisan PathBlazer modulators for years. They do attact attention. Other drivers, but also cops. Two cops put me in their laser sights and told me my headlights had "attracted" them. (They gave me tickets anyway.)

Well... that's two very different ways to get noticed: modulate your headlight and speeding. Not exactly related. :nono

For the original poster, I run Kisan and have no CanBUS issues at all - good product!

Just remember that whether it's a modulator (will help), ABS, GPS or whatever ........ the ultimate safety accessory on any motorcycle is an alert and well-trained operator. :thumb

I don't have modulating headlight but do have some signicant 'landing lights' to help being seen and perceived close. That's the idea anyway. My question about modulating headlight is: Since many locales regard an oncoming vehicle's flashing (ie high/low/high/low) as a signal to "go ahead and turn in front of me" could this modulation lead to a mis-communication? :dunno - Bob

That's sad to hear.

I might be different.

Modulators do attract attention but not always in a good way. Most people, including me, hate to see the flashing headlignts coming at us on the highway. To me it's the visual version of the loud pipes "LOOK AT ME, I"M SPECIAL" that helps give the general public a negative opinion of motorcycles. I also thinks that the modulating lights are a distraction from other things drivers should be looking out for. I can understand why a policeman would look for an excuse to give a ticket to an irritating light flasher.

I might be different.

Modulators do attract attention but not always in a good way. Most people, including me, hate to see the flashing headlights coming at us on the highway. To me it's the visual version of the loud pipes "LOOK AT ME, I"M SPECIAL" that helps give the general public a negative opinion of motorcycles. I also thinks that the modulating lights are a distraction from other things drivers should be looking out for. I can understand why a policeman would look for an excuse to give a ticket to an irritating light flasher.

I agree wit this. A majority of the time they are irritating and that last thing I want people thinking is how irritating motorcyclist are. I want them thinking happy thoughts when they see me :wave

You can run aircraft landing lights but if they aren't looking at you they won't see you, a truck, or a train for that matter. Thats why you see people pulling out on trucks and trains. They they thought they were looking but were just glancing while dialing a number on their cell phone. The biggest problem we have as riders is not that our lights aren't seen, it's that we ride in a manor that makes us invisible.

If you ride close to the car in front of or next to you you blend into that car as seen from the car behind you and also the cars turning left at intersection.

I always trail several cars lengths back when approaching intersections so that the motorist that wants to dart out can do it and still allow me time to brake. It also gives me time to scan and look for cars with bad intentions. If you can't see them they can't see you.

I might be different.

Modulators do attract attention but not always in a good way. Most people, including me, hate to see the flashing headlignts coming at us on the highway. To me it's the visual version of the loud pipes "LOOK AT ME, I"M SPECIAL" that helps give the general public a negative opinion of motorcycles. I also thinks that the modulating lights are a distraction from other things drivers should be looking out for. I can understand why a policeman would look for an excuse to give a ticket to an irritating light flasher.

I agree with this based on my experience. The flashing headlight annoys and confuses the very drivers that are likely to turn in front of you. I have heard several people remark they thought the flashing headlight was the equivalent of a wave indicating go ahead.

Being seen can be accomplished with bright colors and a triangle of light making the motorcycle visually larger. I have been satisfied with Clearwater lights on my GS. There is no way to measure the effectiveness of various conspicuity devices but one thing is for certain, all of them will fail to get attention at some time.

The very best tactic is being alert and having a practiced plan for various avoidance strategies like direction change, speed change, and maximum braking maneuvers.

I might be different.

Agreed. It screams "I'm so important it doesn't matter who I piss off." I agree with the other poster who said they're the visual equivalent to the "loud pipes save lives" nonsense.

I first saw a modular headlight in my rear view mirror (in my car) in fast moving yet heavy urban highway traffic. When I first spotted it he was way behind me with quite a few cars still between us. He must have changed lanes or something like that, because I just caught a glimpse of him. I thought it must be a motorcycle officer, so I got myself ready to change lanes as he got closer. Then, as he got to a couple of cars behind me, I realized it was just another motorcycle with a bizzare flashing headlight. The light was far more of an annoyance than a safety device. In fact, when he was directly behind me it was so annoying that I tilted my rear view mirror to get rid of it. I had the sense that it was leading me to target fixation, and I needed to pay attention to the road, not that one guy behind me.

We as motorcyclists have a bad enough reputation as it is without further hurting it with modular lights that irritate other motorists. Rather than relying on such passive safety devices, we need to promote active safety by riding smarter.

BTW, I've found this to be an extremely sensitive topic. The people who buy them do not want to hear that they annoy people. In fact, I've heard modular headlight proponents say that they're pleased it irritates people because it proves they're seen. That's right out of the "loud pipes saves lives" handbook, and its just as selfish.

Just want to chime in .... and I have/had a Kisan on my current R1200R and previous K75RT.

Yes, modulators "annoy." IMO, they are designed to do just that ... create something out of the ordinary.

Studies I've read suggest that the operators of some left-turning vehicles really didn't know that a motorcycle was approaching them before they turned into the M/C's right-of-way. The motorcycle blended into the background & was "invisible", because the operator was just attuned to not seeing the motorcycle.

Besides enjoying the ride of a motorcycle, its a matter of managing and minalmalizing the risks. If a modulator will help me do that ... acknowledging that I can't rely on it ... then I'll take advantage of it.

JohnM

PS>

If modulators are such a annoyance, then why aren't also the pulsing brake light systems which are so popular?

We as motorcyclists have a bad enough reputation as it is without further hurting it with modular lights that irritate other motorists. Rather than relying on such passive safety devices, we need to promote active safety by riding smarter.

BTW, I've found this to be an extremely sensitive topic. The people who buy them do not want to hear that they annoy people. In fact, I've heard modular headlight proponents say that they're pleased it irritates people because it proves they're seen. That's right out of the "loud pipes saves lives" handbook, and its just as selfish.

very well stated.

same goes for ultra-bright driving lights, too.

IÔÇÖve had a headlight modulator on all my motorcycles for several years. I do make certain that my headlight is aimed properly and when I get close to the vehicle in front of me, as at a stoplight, I turn the modulator off so as not to P.O. the person in front of me. Once I get moving again and have some space, I turn it back on. I also wear Hi-Viz jacket and helmet. I do everything I can to make myself visible. Some folks however, wouldnÔÇÖt notice me if I hit them over the head with a baseball bat! I drive defensively as the life I save may be mine!

If modulators are such a annoyance, then why aren't also the pulsing brake light systems which are so popular?
Because most pulsating brake lights stop pulsating after a few seconds. While I'm sure they're out there, I haven't seen one that remains pulsating for an entire stop.

Ian:

You're such a trouble-maker! :D

I'm not implying that I run my Kisan all the time. (I'm cheap enough to worry about burning out my high beam.) But when I get into those heavy-traffic situations where standing out might help me, I'll use it.

Because most pulsating brake lights stop pulsating after a few seconds. While I'm sure they're out there, I haven't seen one that remains pulsating for an entire stop.

Wish mine would. IMO, a "solid" brake light just blends in with the vehicles already stopped in front of it ... especially at failing light.

But being that its a red light, federal & state laws likely prescribe that it can't pulse beyond a certain point.

I'm not disagreeing w/ any of you .. except for maybe the Loud Pipes comparison .. that the modulator is annoying. IMO, its designed to grab your attention. N'uf said.

Unfortunately, most of the ones used in my area stay on-extemely annoying.
They are variations of a strobe. I have been looking for an aux brake light and found many that have a choice of patterns but few have a flash pattern that goes solid after a period of flashing. To get that welcome feature, it is necessary to spend more money for a bike specific light system. I'm still looking.
The ones here are interesting.
http://ledoutfitters.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=131

I don't have modulating headlight but do have some signicant 'landing lights' to help being seen and perceived close. That's the idea anyway. My question about modulating headlight is: Since many locales regard an oncoming vehicle's flashing (ie high/low/high/low) as a signal to "go ahead and turn in front of me" could this modulation lead to a mis-communication? :dunno - Bob

I think you are correct. Just today at work in my truck, while waiting to make a left turn, the car coming flashed its light several times for me to go. I think loud jackets or helmets or maybe daytime running lights would make more sence.

I might be different.

I completely agree - you are different! :dance

flash rate on a modulating headlight is 4x/second. thumbs don't flip hi/low beams that quickly, but we are dealing with people that don't really need an excuse to be incompetent.
i had a modulator on my KLR. that bike had such an amazingly craptastic headlight, that using the modulater was about the only way it could be seen at all.
I've been running PIAA fork-mounted driving lights and HID mains on my R11S. in 7 years with that setup, NO ONE has pulled out in front of me. Not once. Not ever. However, i remain vigilant.
(and to be perfectly honest, i don't really care if i annoy someone because my lights are bright. rather have them angry at me and still in their lane, than feeling all comfy cozy with me as a motorcyclist, while i'm lying on the ground, waiting for the ambulance to arrive. their angry will go away long before my pain would.)

Back