Thread: not charging

not charging

My Gen lite came on suddenly while riding yesterday. Volt gauge went from 14 to 12. It stayed bright red all the way home. RPM's have no effect on gauge,however turn n brake lites will deflect gauge. I replaced rotor,diode board and brushes last fall. After getting home and letting bike cool down,I started checking around. My rotor still shows 3.5 ohms,rings were a bit dirty from the new brushes so I cleaned them up. I did find a problem although I'm not sure it's charging related.The connections on ATE master cylinder cap. The brown n blue wire broke off with the tab still in the spade. I've searched here and Snowbum"s site and cannot find info on this cap. Would this cause my charging issue ? I see no way of fixing the broken tab,short of getting a new cap. Can this be left unplugged,it's for the fluid level,not the brake lite ?

I'd be looking for a loose wire somewhere if things were working fine up until this situation. And yes, the M/C wire is just for the telltale to indicate you're low on brake fluid...not the actual brake light.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Only loose wire found was on M/C cap. I cleaned rotor rings and swapped my old diode board back in. Everything seems ok now,lite on at idle,raise throttle lite goes out. Meter shows 13.35 volts @ battery @ 1500 rpms. Had a storm blow in,will test more later.

Thought I was gettin somewhere. After buttoning everything up,,,I'm back where I started. Gen lite is on and stays on,volt gauge shows 12. Meter shows battery at 13. I've got to be overlooking something. Almost sounds like a bad ground,rotor shows 3.5ohms,brushes good(otherwise lite wouldn't come on at all). She starts right up,just don't charge.

Exclamation

Did you check the voltage regulator?
    RS Rennsport, Whiplash Motorsport Group
    AHRMA # 59R

Still searching, I swapped volt reg w/spare,no change. Dash lite works,which means rotor n brushes ok. I currently have main wire harness loose,no nicks,cuts or sharpe bends. I'm thinking,how bout that front relay under the gas tank. From what I've seen,the red wire on right side of diode board runs up out top of motor,then goes to front relay,the same relay has a red wire running to "+" side of battery. Am I correct,that this is the one that's supposed to charge the battery?

If you can't figure this out, I'd call Rick Jones at Motorrad Electrik - a very nice guy who will do his best to help you.

His web address is http://www.motoelekt.com/

Rick wrote an Airhead troubleshooting book pertaining to electrical. I bought the CD and copied it to a thumb drive that I keep on my bike in case of a breakdown somewhere.

From what it sounds like, you may have a bad generator.

Will be interested to know what the RX is for you.

Good Luck!

Found something today. Blue wire in that runs out top of motor to voltage regulator. This couldn't be seen until pulled away from frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations! You're on the right track.

Rick Jones at Mottorad Electrik can provide you with a VR if it turns out you need one. I bought one to beef up the voltage output on my '82 R65LS.

Let us know what the outcome is.

I cleaned every connection that I could find. I taped the VR wire and tied the harness back up. My GEN lite is working as it should,on @ idle,goes out around 12-1300 rpms. My meter is showing 13.85 volts @ 2200 rpm's @ battery. Time for a road test to see if anything acts up.

That's what it was. I'm running same VR,I did swap my spare diode board yesterday-didn't feel like changing it back. But,everything is back to normal.I took a 20 or so mile ride,no surprises volt gauge showing past 13 and Gen lite is acting as it should. I inspected the rest of the harness,hopefully I have no futher issues. This website and Snowbums really hepled out, Thanks to All.

Great going! Another Airhead back in action!