• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Side stand switch

ksnyder

Kurt Snyder
I have a 1995 R1100RSL. I would like to change the side stand switch to the RTP model which allows starting the engine with the side stand down. I remember seeing a parts list a few years ago. I can't locate the list. MAX BMW thinks it requires the switch and a wire harness. Max couldn't find the parts list either. Does anybody know what parts are required?

Thanks

Kurt

I just wired in a relay myself. Total cost $0, since I had the relay and the wire in my toolbox all ready, but even buying one at the auto parts store has got to be cheaper than the BMW parts. I tied into the neutral light wire to close the relay and bypass the side stand switch. It works like a charm, all saftey features still intact, plus able to run the engine on the side stand.

I have come so close to disabling that side stand switch, it really is a PITA. I'm stopped every time though by this visual image of myself riding off with the sidestand down (again). BMW put that thing there for fools like me.
Steve-O

I hadn't thought about a relay. Great idea. I spent $3.69 on a universal relay and wired it in parallel with the side stand switch. Works like a charm. Runs with the side stand down unless it is put in gear.

Thanks

My 2004 RT will run on the side stand provided the bike is in neutral. This must be something that was addressed by the factory on later models. You may just need to review the RT wiring diagram. If the neutral switch was in parallel with the side stand switch it would allow the bike to run with the sidestand down, provided the bike is in neutral.

Aaah! I'm begining to see.
So, the conversion still protects from self inflicted injury. Clicking into gear with the sidestand down will cut-off the engine. Hmm. This makes the conversion sound very worthwhile. I'm definitely going to take a look at this. It would be so nice to let the bike warm up for a minute in cold weather without having to put it on the centerstand.
Steve-O

Last edited:
Side Stand Switch

I drove off twice on my 96 with the stand down (previous owner disabled switch) and got lucky both times so I reconnected it back to the factory way. I would like to tie it into being in gear or not, how did you two above wire it so that it works in N but shuts off in gear? Can you draw up a diagram? Thanks.

Does anyone know if running an oilhead on a sidestand creates any oil circulation (or lack there of) issues? :dunno

Our R1100S and our R1150R will both idle on the sidestand as delivered from the factory. I doubt there are oil circulation issues.

Cdn_GS said:
Does anyone know if running an oilhead on a sidestand creates any oil circulation (or lack there of) issues? :dunno

It will cause no problem at all, the factory made it standard in 2003 or so.

Mick

PS I just finished wiring a relay into my sidestand today. Very easy with a
Bosch relay. Starts and idles on the sidestand and kills the engine if I
shift to any gear.

Last edited:
KBasa said:
Our R1100S and our R1150R will both idle on the sidestand as delivered from the factory. I doubt there are oil circulation issues.

i was gonna say, i can't immagine the guy that rode my bike 4,000 miles in 5 years before i bought it started the bike enough to care about such a mod

neutral engaged - bike runs w/sidestand down

Any Pictures

Any pictures of the modifications? I'm interested in removing the switch, but don't want to add another relay (don't want something else that can break) is it as simple as closing the circuit?

Derek

bmwmick said:
It will cause no problem at all, the factory made it standard in 2003 or so.

Mick

PS I just finished wiring a relay into my sidestand today. Very easy with a
Bosch relay. Starts and idles on the sidestand and kills the engine if I
shift to any gear.

Hmm... no oil circulation problem, but the manual does clearly state not to run the oilhead without riding it around. It warns that it will create an overheating situation...

Now... the manual says alot of things...

And I did watch a certain professional BMW stunt rider let his 1200GS idle for quite a long time without much care...

just my $.02

-Xaque-

breyfogle said:
Or in less technical lingo, cut both wires anywhere easily accessable, twist together the two bare ends, wrap with black tape, done !!
Two years later, black tape adhesive tape fails and tape falls off, twisted wires touch frame, blow fuse, motor dies (or refuses to start).

For a more permanent solution, solder the two wires together and then cover the joint with heat-shrink tubing.

flash412 said:
Two years later, black tape adhesive tape fails and tape falls off, twisted wires touch frame, blow fuse, motor dies (or refuses to start).

For a more permanent solution, solder the two wires together and then cover the joint with heat-shrink tubing.

slide the heat shrink tubing on before soldering the wires or you will do it twice.

Orionrider said:
Any pictures of the modifications? I'm interested in removing the switch, but don't want to add another relay (don't want something else that can break)...Derek

The CHP modification uses all BMW parts, plugs right into the existing harness. You don't want a relay... your bike depends on a lot of relays already, and they basically don't break. It's more expensive to buy the CHP harness, but much easier to install if you aren't deft with electronics.

Back