• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Installing powerlet power connection in BMW tank bag R1200RT

kctay

Has anyone installed the Powerlet power connection to the BMW tank bag on a R1200RT? I'm wondering if there is a FAQ or something detailing how to do this.

I'm a little wary of cutting into a nearly $400.00 bag, with a waterproof liner. Also, they suggest using a hot knife, or soldering iron to cut the hole, but the BMW has some type of reinforced backing around the sides of the bag.

Has anyone done this?

I have the R1200S BMW tank bag. I started to install the Powerlet connector, and almost got it done. Then for $30, I let a shoemaker finish it.

He did a much better fitting it than I would. It looks like BMW put it there.

I installed one in late '07 just after I bought the bike and the bag. I used a soldering iron to cut the holes. I think instructions came with the kit I bought from Powerlet. I recall it being simple to do, and I have not had any problems during the past 3+ years. I installed it on the left side as the bag curves from the side to the front. It is an easy connection from there into the power outlet on the faring.

I installed several in Marsee bags just fine, but the BMW bag was far more difficult.

How did you line up and cut the hole on the inner waterproof liner since the bag expands? Did you just drill the screw holes? I can't see how a soldering iron can make these holes.

Also on the sides of the BMW bag, it feels like there is a hard reinforcement behind the outer material. Did you just melt through that with the soldering iron as well?

This is a very easy job if you can follow directions! Done my own (2 ports- the second being an outlet for heated jacket at the rear so I don't have any long cords for it). Also done them for friends, who, like you, were a bit nervous about cutting their bag.

Cut the center hole with an exacto knife or similar. Put the pointed end on your small soldering iron to bore the screw holes. Seal the port with a very minimal amount of black silicon seal under the external flange. Don't use too much or it will squish out all over the fabric. If you squish some out, get if off immediately with water and rubbing with a cloth. DO NOT overtighten the 4 bolts that hold the port.

Once you've done this you'll wonder why you worried about it..

Thanks man, I was mostly worried about the inner waterproof liner. Getting lined up right, etc. I'll give it a go tonight.

Thanks man, I was mostly worried about the inner waterproof liner. Getting lined up right, etc. I'll give it a go tonight.

If the liner moves with the bag as it expands, I would install the port with the liner in the expanded position.

Back