Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: top box makes bike unstable '07 R1200RT

top box makes bike unstable '07 R1200RT

I have a 2007RT with a Givi 49 liter top box. When riding at highway speed on a windy day it feels unstable. I have the suspension set about midway between soft and hard. Air pressure 36lbs in the front tire and 42lbs in the back. I also use an Aeroflow screen. When I remove the box the bike is very stable. I wonder if anyone else has this problem and if it is better with the BMW top box or maybe a smaller box.

Rally Rat

Smile

Give it some time - I run both the small (28L) and large (49L) BMW top boxes, and notice no problems with either after 50,000+ miles with them.

Besides - it's a motorcycle - we're going to get nudged around a bit - that's one of the neat things about being on a bike!

The D
    I just finished a 600 mi. ride with a 49 liter BMW top case on and didn't experience any problems except getting my leg stuck a few times trying to get on and off the bike.

Are you all riding solo? Having a passenger would make a difference in how the air hits that box IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv12 View Post
    I have a 2007RT with a Givi 49 liter top box. When riding at highway speed on a windy day it feels unstable. .... I wonder if anyone else has this problem and if it is better with the BMW top box or maybe a smaller box.
    Unstable, like you're going into a tank slapper, no. Extra wind buffetting, sure.

If it feels uncomfortable, try slowing down a bit.

Consider dialing the suspension down to a harder position some. You more than likely can decrease rebound to help stabilize things as well.

I'm 160 lbs and run a moderately heavy load and a fuel cell on the bike. I have a large Coocase top box [about the same as you Givi]. My 2007 RT is at just under 60,000 miles [not far from needing shocks]. I run rebound almost at full clockwise and the shock setting at roughly 3/4 hard.

I don't have any instability issues at all.

Added: The is the bike.
    Last edited by SteveAikens; 06-06-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added link to photos of the bike
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

I think the bike comes set up too soft for the topbox (It's pretty chunky for the intended location). My 08 developed a bit of wander after a truck windblast when new and after I adjusted it a tad stiffer, that went away. Find the screw adjuster for the rear...
    The ESA by itself didn't fix it.

And I weigh about what they say the bike is set for as delivered- I just think its too soft for the topbox though OK without it.

Have been debating using the topbox less and subbing a big yellow rollup on the back seat. It would be a lot lighter (about 30 lbs lighter) and handle better (better locationfor gear weight), plus give added visibility though it would not be as easy to get at stuff as the topbox. And I rarely ride double so don't require the topbox. I always remove it for play- the weight at that location notably degrades handling by slowing it, My RT already requires a fair amount of climbing around on the bike due to the high CG compared to R 1200 R, K1200RS, etc...
    Last edited by racer7; 06-07-2011 at 01:17 AM.

I am with ya! Definetly a bit more dancing with the 49L top box sans pillion on my '09!
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

I just added a factory 49 litre box. Warnings say stay below 110... by I felt no problems up to 120...

The top box sits high on the bike and can act like a bit of a sail in crosswinds. Since its location is at the rear of the bike, it can impart forces that can affect the stability of the RT. If I can do without a the top box on gusty day, I will ride using only the side cases for storage. I have worn a backpack when the side cases weren't enough storage or have strapped the the backpack to the pillion seat. This seems to help manage the stability issues.
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Jack Herbst
    2008 R1200RT Yes the bike is unstable in a crosswind of plus 25 or certain trucks with the 49 liter case. Gas tanker trucks seem to bother it the most.

I put the ESA in sport and two riders with luggage whenever I encounter crosswinds in excess of 25-35. Latley I have been leaving it home and using a smaller BMW bag in it's place.

Someone above mentioned a bag between you and the 49 liter. This does help. Always load heavier things in the side bags and only very light things in the topcase. (bread basket) You will be much more stable.

Jack

I have a '05 1200RT with the 49L top box. I ride solo and only use the box for long trips over 7 days when I have to carry a lot of crap. The box acts like an open parachute when I'm on the highway, so I usually just use a Tourmaster tail bag for the short trips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
    2005 R1200 RT - gone

I bought my bike with the topcase and took it off recently. What a difference.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Rally Rat
    Who would have thought.... I understand if you eject your pillion passenger the handling improves as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Marv12 View Post
    I have a 2007RT with a Givi 49 liter top box. When riding at highway speed on a windy day it feels unstable. I have the suspension set about midway between soft and hard. Air pressure 36lbs in the front tire and 42lbs in the back. I also use an Aeroflow screen. When I remove the box the bike is very stable. I wonder if anyone else has this problem and if it is better with the BMW top box or maybe a smaller box.
    I have the same year RT with the same Givi top box and have not noticed any handling issues.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana