• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Windshield for a tall guy-'06 R1200rt

R

robe

Probably same problem again, but I'm 6'5" and stock windshield on my 06 R1200RT is too short.
Any sudgestions? What is best price/efficiency choice?

Thanks!

+1 on the CalSci screen on my 2009 R1200RT.

I just finished a 2,000 mile trip with a new CalSci screen. It worked perfectly without any problems. The center hole allows air to enter the rear of the screen which increases the pressure there and reduces turbulence as the high pressure air from the front spills over the top and sides. I'm hoping that the reduced frontal pressure will preclude having to buy stronger mounts too as some other screen reportedly require.

A few bugs did enter the through the hole and hit the top of the dashboard, but apparently most bugs are swept up behind the screen and over the top of the rider's helmet. I had no problem riding in rain either.

Size is critical, of course. I'm 6'3" with a 33" inseam and use the X-Large size (+3.5" taller than stock). This works perfectly for me as I can lower the screen to see really well over the top for the twisties, but can raise the screen to the point where all of the air flows completely over the top of my helmet. At this point, there is still an inch or more of upward screen travel remaining and I still can see over the top.

The only downside is that the screen edges are not smooth like the OEM screen. They're not so sharp as to cut you, but you can definitely feel an edge. Also, the mounting instructions are correct that the screen curvature initially does not match the mounts. But a slow tightening of the mounting bolts will bend it into place.

Oh, there was one other possible issue. At 50 to 60 mph, any bike lean while turning caused a slight growl/whine from the screen; perhaps from the hole area. It wasn't annoying, but definitely was there. When straight and level or at other speeds, there was no noise. I'm curious if other CalSci users have heard this?

Lee

Probably same problem again, but I'm 6'5" and stock windshield on my 06 R1200RT is too short.

Thanks!
Missterrr Andersonn, Welcome to the forum. I see you have a question on a windshield for your bike. I am going to add some info to your thread title for you that otta help and will make others researching the same thing through the search forum box see what you found out. Good luck, any questions just ask. Gary

My brother-in-law has an Aeroflow on his R1200RT. I think it was the tall model. I rode it for a day and didn't even have the windshield at maximum height. I had about 1-2 inches to go and the air management was great. It was quiet and there was no buffetting. I'm 6'4" and sit rather tall on the bike.

Have Cee Bailey custom make a windshield of the height and width you desire.

I've run one of their products now for six years - very satisfied, and reasonably priced.

Ad always appears in our ON. :german

PS: Don't forget to beef up the OEM struts that support bigger windshields. PM me for the source.

Missterrr Andersonn, Welcome to the forum. I see you have a question on a windshield for your bike. I am going to add some info to your thread title for you that otta help and will make others researching the same thing through the search forum box see what you found out. Good luck, any questions just ask. Gary

Thx Missterrr Smith....!:laugh:laugh:laugh

problem is that you first have to buy windshield in order to try it, and than is usually too late ...
I'll probably try 2 inch taller. It should be enough :confused::confused::confused:

Robe,
Hello! I have a Cee Bailey and i am very happy with the results. Go to the web site and they will tell you how to measure for a correct size of the windshield. The installation was very easy. I got the smoked color. i like the look of the Cee Bailey on the RT. Have fun!

Thanks!

6'5. 34" inseam. Got the Calsci XL. Very good. All the way down is as good or better than all the way up on the stocker.

So far, CalSci XL looks like best choice. Now 2 questions:

1. Does that hole make a noise on hi speed?

2. Does Cal Sci XL needs new brackets?

So far, CalSci XL looks like best choice. Now 2 questions:

1. Does that hole make a noise on hi speed?

2. Does Cal Sci XL needs new brackets?

No noise no brackets. Just make sure to only tighten the middle screws finger tight.

Only at start or always?

? When installing the screen, some people over tighten the middle screws and crack the screen. The warning here is because the windscreen is not shaped like the stock with a double curve and has to conform to the mounts. If you have doubts, talk to the people at Calsci.

I realize I'm resurrecting an old topic but wondering if anything has changed since 2011 as far as best choice of taller windshield for a 6'5 guy that sits tall on his RT. I have an 07 that I just bought that has the stocker on it and it's not gonna cut it. I need to try something else. I hate the fact that I have to buy a windshield to experiment with and it may not even work. So just curious if there is anything else I should be looking at that has changed since 2011. Also just ordered a Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit.

Had an aeroflow on my 2005 RT. It was very quiet and no buffetting. Trouble was it was so effective I was wishing for some extra breeze on really hot days :wave

I'm 6'4" so not quite pushing you limits (but I didn't get the tallest model either).

laco,
If you go fairly tall, be aware the OEM lift brackets on the early Hexheads have/will break at some point.
I'll try to find the threads, B-Boneyard sells some aftermarkets that many folks here have purchased at some point. Mine was a stock '05 screen in the full up position and caught a side draft from a truck when it crunked.

edit; found the thread:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...rts-2009-R1200RT&highlight=windshield+bracket

Last edited:
Back