• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Good day friends

pinscher

Proud owner of a new 2011 R1200RT. Traded a 2008 (purchased new 2009) Goldwing and before that 2008 FJR1300. I've come full circle (almost). Started my motorcycle search in 2008, after the typical 25 years off, looking at BMW, mostly the K1200GT. Funny, the RT was sitting right next to the GT and did not get a second look, mostly because having in line Japanese bikes in my late teens, the boxer was completely foreign to me. Was referred by a friend to someone that had a GT and he indicated he was having major final drive issues. So based on that and the thought of dropping over 20K I decided on the FJR. Really liked the FJR except with a pinched nerve in my neck, the ergos were very uncomfortable, so much so I traded the FJR for the Goldwing on the way home from the 2009 FJR rally in Johnson City. Rather rash decision because I pretty quickly figured out the Goldwing was not very exciting to ride, which is not necessarily a knock to gold wings because it is a very nice motorcycle, especially on long highway trips.

The RT, new 4/30/11, now has 1500 miles. A few comments, for those folks who are on the fence about purchasing. I should interject that ever since the K1600 was announced I was completely set on purchasing the K1600. After attending the NY show and seeing it in person I decided it was TOO nice. I really can't explain that but between that and my impatience I decided to go ahead with the RT. I am very happy with my decision. It's the perfect combination of size, speed, handling, accessories (except the seat of course). As many of you have said it is a great overall bike. A note on the vibration issue, coming off the Goldwing and reading various comments about the subject I was concerned. I have found that it is a none issue for me, even to the contrary I find the vibration to be something desirable. The boxer does take some getting used to but, again, as many of you have said, the ride gets better every day.

Many thanks to all on this forum where I have spent the last seven months lurking, and learning, in preparation of my decision.

Looking forward to my first international rally, see you there!

Welcome, former lurker! Glad to have you here!

Where in S. Maryland are you? I'm heading to Pocomoke tomorrow.

Don't ya love it when a lurker shows themself? :wave

Nice to know we can be pretty convincing after 7 months.....safe rides, pinscher

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your new RT. I often tell people that I believe the boxer engine is a derivative of the old radial airplane engines. Don't know if that is truly true, but they agree it looks like it could be. Anyway, there is something quite soothing to me about the boxer when your running down the highway. I can kind of imagine a radial engine underneath me.

Great to see you are enjoying your new bike.

Back