• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Textile pants

JeffMcK

I am searching for a pair of pants, ride a RT 1200, , travel only 10,000 Km a year.

But I am looking for added safey over jeans. An all season pant, including rain if possible.

I have seen that Firstgear have two that may fit the bill, what are other using?

Thanks I am sure I have read this dabated before but wasn't shopping then.

I am searching for a pair of pants, ride a RT 1200, , travel only 10,000 Km a year.

But I am looking for added safey over jeans. An all season pant, including rain if possible.

I have seen that Firstgear have two that may fit the bill, what are other using?

Thanks I am sure I have read this dabated before but wasn't shopping then.
Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum. A question like this will get a bit more response over in the Gear section so I'll move it on over for you. Good luck, Gary

I rode all last summer with the BMW summer 2 pants. Made with Dynatec fabric (nylon/kevlar mix). BMW NP armor at the knees and hips. Really decent price for BMW stuff.

They aren't "waterproof", but have a coating and do shed water. I rode through a couple frog stranglers with them. They got a little damp, but not soaked. Legs zip off mid thigh for walking around shorts. Rode with the khaki version into the 100's. Hot (what's not at 100F), but tolerable.

textile pants

I am a big fan of the Aerostich Darian pants. They are goretex with padded knees. They have full length side zippers and work really well in rain. I have both the regular Darian and the Darian lights. I ride with them all the time. Rain has never once leaked through the seams on my pants but when you wash them, Aerostich makes a waterproofer that is supposed to be added to the wash water just to keep the fabric waterproof. A+ on the Darian. Incidentally, my Darians are 9 years old and still look and work great.

Last edited:
Be very careful buying pants you haven't tried on. Nearly all of that Asian made stuff has a low waist (meaning ultimately too little "ball room") and odd leg fits. The BMW stuff and some others (like RevIt) have reliable sizing tables but many do not.

Your RT provides protection without needing rain gear on your lower body or waterproof boots in light rain conditions. Also, any waterproof pants will be way too hot in hot weather. I find that (after almost 50 yrs of riding) I still prefer a good set of GoreTex rain pants and only use them when its really raining. In the summer, it is often so hot and humid that getting a little wet in a lighter rain feels better (and you dry in a few minutes anyway). I also don't worry about waterproof gloves in the summer- anything waterproof is too hot and just leaves you with hot, sweaty wet hands instead of cool ones. I use gloves with a fabric mesh back instead.

Those who live in a dry hot climate (eg out west) often prefer the other approach but evap cooling is N/A in NC most of the time and anything waterproof induces instant sweatbath. Where are you???

I like the Darians also. I have been in storms, hail, snow, and ice with them. Across the desert in over 100+ deg temps all day. They are tough stuff. In March, I even slid down Interstate 55 in Chicago on ice with the GSA on top of my leg. They did get a bit rough looking. This winter I will take them back to Areostich to get repaired. Just cosmetic damage though. Funny what blacktop and ice will do to textile clothing.when they all get together. By the way, not a scratch on me. Just picked the bike up and rode away - very carefully. Interstate was closed right after my slide.

BMW Airflow suit, it's fantastic, very comfy, high quality, and I wear a liner from another jacket inside when the mornings are cold. Had it for 2 years and I love it.

Aerostich Darien pants. Saved my butt, literally. Basically cut like jeans, leg zippers allow for easy on/off. Knee pads, hip pads, will fit over pants or shorts.

I'm a big fan of Olympia gear and have both AST and Airglide. Find the quality excellent and the price much more reasonable. As I am tall, Olympia sent me free fabric to lengthen my pants.

I like the Firstgear HT Overpants. You can wear them "over your pants", or you can wear them over shorts or biking shorts, etc. They come with a liner that I've never used, since I think they would suffice to below zero with the liner in.

They do not have the waist issue, as previously mentioned, and the pair I got was true to size. I love them.

I got mine from newenough.com, which I think is now known as motorcyclegear.com or somesuch.

I've never heard a negative word on the Aerostich Dariens. They will custom alter the inseam to meet your needs. Available in a lighter-weight version, too.

I'm riding in Olympia gear these days: the AST jacket and Ranger pants. The Rangers are well designed and built and can be shortened by a tailor/seamstress, if needed.

Even the Kevlar-reinforced jeans are no match for real riding pants, IMHO.

pete

Back