Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Is the BMWMOA website slow

  1. #1
    Registered User WalterK75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Posts
    932

    Is the BMWMOA website slow

    I am online Tuesday around 16:00 EST and I was thrilled when I got 10 KB/S throughput when going to a thread from the forum page. This was the fastest I experienced. It seems very slow, but this was slower than the old dial-up modem speeds. Is it my end or the is the site slow? It took up to ten seconds for this message to come up so I could preview it. Way too slow.
    Walter

    "Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

  2. #2
    Cannonball Rider #52 darrylri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Surf City, USA (Santa Cruz, CA)
    Posts
    4,573
    I'm not experiencing any particular slowness. It may be that your ISP is having some difficulty. Are other sites slow to load?
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

  3. #3
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,557
    From time to time, I get very slow loads of the MOA pages, forum or otherwise. When I see that happening, I usually close my web browser and reopen...things seem to run faster. I'm sure it's just me and mine...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  4. #4
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,181
    As I was recently reminded by one of the members -it's a good idea to turn your modem off from time to time. When you turn it back on (abt. 15 min.) the fresh start makes a difference. Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  5. #5
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,324
    A very common cause of slow performance for any site is the connection (route) between your computer and that site. One way to see this is to use the Windows tracert command. Go to your Start menu, then pick "run" and enter "cmd" and press Enter. This will get you a command window. Then enter "tracert somewebsite.com" and press Enter. The results show the time in milliseconds of every connection (hop) between you and the target system. Times below 100ms are very good, when close to 200ms you will see some noticeable lag times.

    Here's a link to more information about the tracert command:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/internet...raceroute.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Foundation Secretary, Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  6. #6
    #4869 DennisDarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sugar Valley, Ga
    Posts
    1,992
    For me, I go to my desktop "Explorer" icon, click on that, perhaps 2 seconds to start coming up and loading. I then scroll over to "favorites" and click BMWMOA and that begins to come up in again perhaps 2 or 3 seconds. Now over to forums, click, and here I am......all in all perhaps 10 seconds....more like 5 usually.........

    I am wayyyyyyy out on the end of a long telephone line with the medium speed AT&T DSL........best I can get........anyway...working just fine here.....God bless....Dennis

  7. #7
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    For me, I go to my desktop "Explorer" icon, click on that, perhaps 2 seconds to start coming up and loading. I then scroll over to "favorites" and click BMWMOA and that begins to come up in again perhaps 2 or 3 seconds. Now over to forums, click, and here I am......all in all perhaps 10 seconds....more like 5 usually.........

    I am wayyyyyyy out on the end of a long telephone line with the medium speed AT&T DSL........best I can get........anyway...working just fine here.....God bless....Dennis
    The load time for Internet Explorer is 100% a function of the performance of your local PC. The response time you see when cruising the Internet is a combination of the speed of your PC, the performance of your Internet connection, and a given site itself.

    You can test your connection easily at several locations. I use SpeakEasy a lot: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Foundation Secretary, Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  8. #8
    #4869 DennisDarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sugar Valley, Ga
    Posts
    1,992
    NOW......with the NEW home page..........it is totally slow.......laggged a lot

  9. #9
    Registered Schmoozer irish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    221
    +1
    14 R1200GS, 02 R1150RT (retired)

  10. #10
    Rpbump USN RET CPO Rpbump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,003

    Unhappy

    It is slower on my home desktop and on the pc's at work as well.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

  11. #11

  12. #12
    #4869 DennisDarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sugar Valley, Ga
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by GrafikFeat View Post
    My flash updates automatically perhaps once per week. Graphic design and videography here so MUST have the most current and up to date software, DSL connection, and knowledge base.

    Anyway, updated Flash just now for grins and then booted the puter. THIS web home page, BMWMOA, took perhaps one second to come up after clicking on the favorites. After it came up it took 18 seconds to load so I could click on something for it to work. This has become about the NORM........If I go into one of the "articles" it takes a very long time to load that and then when I go "back" to the "home" it takes a very long time to load that and be ready to click something else.

    Yes, progress is great........BUT SOMETHING IS WRONG.........God bless......Dennis

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    My flash updates automatically perhaps once per week. Graphic design and videography here so MUST have the most current and up to date software, DSL connection, and knowledge base.

    Anyway, updated Flash just now for grins and then booted the puter. THIS web home page, BMWMOA, took perhaps one second to come up after clicking on the favorites. After it came up it took 18 seconds to load so I could click on something for it to work. This has become about the NORM........If I go into one of the "articles" it takes a very long time to load that and then when I go "back" to the "home" it takes a very long time to load that and be ready to click something else.

    Yes, progress is great........BUT SOMETHING IS WRONG.........God bless......Dennis
    There is another thread on this topic also. Maybe combine the two?
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=53689

    I posted a movie of my loading the new page w/ safari for the first time w/ a log in.

    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=14

    It loads fine for me w/ no hesitations on all three browsers - Firefox 3.6XX, Safari and Chrome.
    I never use Explorer.
    There are so many variables that suggestion seemed the easiest for now.

    "My flash updates automatically perhaps once per week. Graphic design and videography here so MUST have the most current and up to date software, DSL connection, and knowledge base."
    Yes I know. I do the very same thing. But on a Mac w/ a Cable Modem. DSL is too slow out here.

  14. #14
    Cage Rattler wezul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Posts
    3,788
    Just a thought . . .
    If you don't have your browser set up to clean up stuff like cookies and browsing history you might want to do so occasionally.

    I like to do a manual clean up from time to time anyway.

  15. #15
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    11,807
    Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    snipped: The load time for Internet Explorer is 100% a function of the performance of your local PC.
    ??? I have been experiencing incredibly slow load times since i "upgraded" to IE 9. I will be switching back to 8 when I have a chance. Chrome and Firefox on the same box work fine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •