• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tail light doesn't work/parking light does

RANBUSH

Ran Bush
On my '01 R1100 RT-P, a riding partner told me that my tail light wasn't lit when I was riding the other day.

I've been messing with it this weekend, and I have found that the tail light bulb does light up when the ignition switch is in the parking light position. So the bulb is good. Just not when the bike is running. All fuses test good, relays are good.

I have tried to trace the circuit with Doug Raymond's excellent schematics, but nothing jumps out at me. I also know that the RT-P's often get re-wired by each agency for various lights, sirens and other equipment.

Any thoughts on what else to look at?

Check the wiring at the bottom of the ignition switch. It flexes there whenever you turn the handlebar in either direction. I found this out because at times I had no taillight, but the brake light worked fine on ,y 94 R1100RS.

I found out the wiring going into the ignition switch base had cracked and was making partial contact sometimes. I re-soldered the wire best I could for now but I did get a replacement switch assembly from BeemerBoneYard.com.

There is a very small allen screw that retains the switch assembly to the bottom of the ignition switch housing. It is covered in a red dot of paint. Turn that screw ONLY enough to get the switch assembly loose. Once the switch is out it may be easy to repair the busted wire.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Yes, the tail light bulb is a single-filament 5008.

ANDYVH - good suggestion; I'll take a look at the switch wiring this weekend.

Check the wiring at the bottom of the ignition switch. It flexes there whenever you turn the handlebar in either direction. I found this out because at times I had no taillight, but the brake light worked fine on ,y 94 R1100RS.

I found out the wiring going into the ignition switch base had cracked and was making partial contact sometimes. I re-soldered the wire best I could for now but I did get a replacement switch assembly from BeemerBoneYard.com.

There is a very small allen screw that retains the switch assembly to the bottom of the ignition switch housing. It is covered in a red dot of paint. Turn that screw ONLY enough to get the switch assembly loose. Once the switch is out it may be easy to repair the busted wire.

Andyvh, you just saved my sanity! Got home from a trip yesterday and noticed my aux lights weren't working - thought it was the relay then noticed the tail light was out too (relay powered by tail light). Sometimes I'd turn on the key and they'd both work, sometimes not. After 4 hours of diagnostics I came in and checked the moa board and found your post. Went back out to the garage and if I jiggle the wiring under the switch stuff comes on.

I have an 95 RS. Did you have to take the front fairing off to get to the switch? I'm not seeing how to get to the wiring connectors without doing some tear down. Any advice is appreciated - thanks!

Back