Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Denali D2 Install 2008 K1200GT

Denali D2 Install 2008 K1200GT

I picked up a set of the new Denali D2 Led lights at Saturday's Twisted Throttle open house. You can read the performance claims on their web site.
    My quick assessment is that they are brighter than any other small led lights, and may be close to the larger Clearwaters.

The only "trick" in getting these to work, is that the "switched voltage" input for the Denali relay must be close to full battery voltage (13+vdc) to work. The usual parking light or tail light posi-tap input will not work.

Will post pictures of the lights enabled later
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I was at TT also. Those lights look great. I'd be interested in how they work out-how you like them. Looking forward to the rest of your review. Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Ditto here - Looking for something for my K12S
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

Denali D2 more pictures

I need to modify my initial post. The Denali D2 intensity is controlled by a pulse modulation system, so there most likely no relay in the system. This allows these lights to have different intensity outputs. Never the less, my original comment about needing 13vdc on the "sense" input still stands.
    Below is a picture of the Denali's at 40% intensity. On the rider's right (photo left) the D2 has the "fog" lens installed, the other side has the "euro" driving beam.

D2s at 90%

Below are the D2s at 90% intensity. Sorry for the picture quality. The lights overpower my cell phone cam.

D2s and HID

Here is everything lit.

Those look great.
    I've got a million questions, of course...
    I can't wait to see more pics. Do you have any from the side, showing how they mount?
    Thanks,
    R.
    '92 K75S, all black...
    '08 K1200GT, silver...
    '06 R1200GS, silver...
    '63 R50/2, black...

Quote Originally Posted by robday View Post
    Those look great.
    I've got a million questions, of course...
    I can't wait to see more pics. Do you have any from the side, showing how they mount?
    Thanks,
    R.
    I used the optional M6 mounting kit from Twisted Throttle, mounting to the lower fender mounting hole. I used my own washer to offset the indent in the fender mounting position, and used my own M6 bolts (instead of the supplied M6 bolts and standoffs in theTwisted Throttle kit) because I thought it looked better.

wire routing

Hi

I am about to install these on my 2009K1300GT. How did you route the wires up trom the fender? I'm assuming you used a fuse block to power these lights. Did you have to cut the wire harness to shorten it to get rid of all teh extra wire in the harness?

Where did you mount the on-off switch?

I'm also thinking about using one fog and one clear lense on these lights. What is your driving experience4 with this set-up in terms of road illumination?

Nice job. thanks for sharing it here.

Francis

Quote Originally Posted by francis View Post
    Hi

I am about to install these on my 2009K1300GT. How did you route the wires up trom the fender? I'm assuming you used a fuse block to power these lights. Did you have to cut the wire harness to shorten it to get rid of all teh extra wire in the harness?

Where did you mount the on-off switch?

I'm also thinking about using one fog and one clear lense on these lights. What is your driving experience4 with this set-up in terms of road illumination?

Nice job. thanks for sharing it here.

Francis
    I routed the wires from the lights (lightly) tie wrapped to the hydraulic lines from the brake calipers, making sure that nothing would hang up or stretch tight when the front wheel moves left or right, or the front suspension moves up and down.

I thought about triming the harness to length, but I was in a hurry to get the lights mounted before Americade, so I found a empty spot behind the left front fairing that was large enough to accept all the extra length (bundled up) along with the Denali control box.

From there it was easy to snake up the power wires to the Centec fuse box that I had prevoiusly mounted behind the battery. The on/off switch wires and the high/low enable wires are also routed up the left side (tie wrapped to the clutch cable).

For the enables, I posi-tapped into the red/white in 3 wire Aux plug (hidden behing the metal cross brace in front of the battery) This wire gives you power when the key is turned on, and a delayed turn off when the key is turned off.
    You can order a BMW part that is the mate for this plug (# 83300413585) that allows a cleaner looking installation if you don't want to use a posi-tap.

I mounted the on/off switch on the left side handle bar control assembly, and I also used a second switch to enable the high (90%) output (instead of trying to tap into the HID high beam control.

I am happy with the light output as a fill in to the HID at night, but my primary purpose for these lights is to increase my daylight visibility to the cage drivers.

Good luck with your install.

Mounting instructions

Thanks for this detailed description. It's very helpful and I appreciate it.

Francis

90-40 Switch

Hi

What is the switch you used for the 90%-40% power settings and where could I buy one?

Francis

Quote Originally Posted by francis View Post
    Hi

What is the switch you used for the 90%-40% power settings and where could I buy one?

Francis
    I had a lighted switch left over from a set of Hella automotive driving lights. You might be able to pick up a waterproof switch at a marine supply store.

night results

Do you have the night results?
    Why is bright at 90% rather than 100%?
    Would you buy these again?

Quote Originally Posted by DougA View Post
    Do you have the night results?
    Why is bright at 90% rather than 100%?
    Would you buy these again?
    I am happy with the night results, fills in the edges where the HID misses.

As I understand the implementation, the D2s use pulse modulation of the voltage to control the light intensity (think of switching a light switch off and on, but very quickly). This method would cause a normal bulb to fail quickly, but is OK for LEDs. I believe that Denali only runs at 90% to help keep the control electronics cool, which extends the life of the unit.

Yes I would buy these again.