• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

05 R1200GS - rain caused the dash to temporarily fail

M

MasterChiefmas

So I was riding back today with some pals from a 4 day trip, and we got caught in some rain. No big deal, we were prepared, and had in fact started the trip in rain. It was a little different this time around, as after about 30 minutes, my dash started freaking out, it would report a various failures, and problems, then reset, then do it all over. Eventually, it just appeared to quit. The bike itself ran fine, and all the other electricals seems to be working, I had to ride another 90 minutes to get home.

It's been in my garage for about 3 hours now, and I went and turned it on and everything seems fine.

It seems obvious that water was getting in somewhere, but I'm not sure where, I'm hoping some one can tell me where to look. I am guessing it's not just the connections to the dash though, unless the dash is self contained with the brains, as the trip meters quit recording for the duration it was dead. They didn't reset, they are now showing the numbers they did around the time it went out.

So, where should I look, or what steps should I next be taking?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the GS but the RT has a single multi-pin connector that powers the dash. I can only think the connector on the GS would at least be as robust if not moreso than the one used on the RT but it is less exposed than the GS connector.

I would start there to see if it is secure and then possibly trace it to see where it connects and check that as well. It should be #3 in the diagram.

Attachments

• K25_02_R63020b_small.jpg
    K25_02_R63020b_small.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 37
Back