Thread: Which way does this go?

Which way does this go?

Here's a good one- many years ago I blindly re-build my front wheel. Now, I've had a nagging feeling for years I did it wrong, but I never got around to checking. I decided to take it apart, now with the benefit of the Internet, and Duane a's article and the barrington book. I must be missing something, because the don't seem to be addressing the sleeve that goes over the axle on the front on a /2 wheel. So, the million dollar question is which way does it go? Does the rim face the brake side or the hub cap?

One of the reasons that I think I did it wrong is that the tire seems off center relative to the fender, in that it seems like only .5 cm form the fender on the hub cap side, but a large gap on the brake side. It is, however, a uniform distance. Just doesn't seem to be centered in the fender...

Thanks for the input!

I guess I'm not understand what you're talking about. Can you point to a picture somewhere? Is it on this picture?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...03&hg=36&fg=05
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Nope, I took a pic with my iPhone, I have to figure out how to post it from this thing... Stay tuned....

If you are talking about the 3" or so sleeve

If your talking about the 3-4 inch sleeve that fits snugly over the axle and into the bearing I have your answer. That is a spacer so that the front and rear wheel can be interchanged if needed. That sleeve slides into the wheel bear AFTER you have attached and tightened the hub cap. The shoulder on that sleeve stays outside of the hubcap and its retainer and on the left side of the wheel.

If I have confused you I'm sorry but a simple way is to assemble both wheels as if they were being mounted on the rear and then take the front wheel and there will only be one way to put that spacer in.

I think that's it!! I'll give it a try (hopefully tomorrow)...

Quote Originally Posted by 69zeff65 View Post
    That sleeve slides into the wheel bear AFTER you have attached and tightened the hub cap. The shoulder on that sleeve stays outside of the hubcap and its retainer and on the left side of the wheel.
    Exactly. The front axle has a smaller diameter than the rear axle. The wheels will fit front or rear. To make the wheel fit with the smaller front axle a spacer is inserted into the front wheel before being mounted on the bike. As you are sitting on the bike the spacer goes in the left hand side of the front wheel.