• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No Surge + Autolite 3923 plugs + wow!

mgordon

Just went for a test ride. Can't believe the change from the Bosch FR6DDC plugs that were in the bike. Almost NO surge and almost imperceptible vibration now at 5k rpm!

That is very encouraging. Is that change just from the plugs? I may give that a shot. I am not wrench savy, but I can do plugs..I think. :)

That is very encouraging. Is that change just from the plugs? I may give that a shot. I am not wrench savy, but I can do plugs..I think. :)

Before you start, clean all the little stones out of the spark plug channel. Make sure the socket fits all the way down to the bottom.
Some folks have had trouble when the socket gets jammed.

Just went for a test ride. Can't believe the change from the Bosch FR6DDC plugs that were in the bike. Almost NO surge and almost imperceptible vibration now at 5k rpm!

So now you're a believer.
Please provide an explanation if you can.
To me, another believer, this fix is preposterous.

So now you're a believer.
Please provide an explanation if you can.
To me, another believer, this fix is preposterous.

All I can tell you is that I had noticeable surge, did obsessive TB sync, etc. Had very strong surging and fuel cut-off at low RPM. Changed plugs, rode the bike...and I'm a believer.

Go figure, but remember Rob Lentini was the first one apparently to widely report the better performance. Fatter spark is my guess.

Anybody who wonders how this can possibly be should do research on the term sparkplug indexing, and should then contemplate what the effect of two electrodes vs one electrode might be.

Then go back and reread my Benchwrenching column from October and November, 2008.

Paul, are those ON issues accessible to anyone not a club member at the time? Online? I've come and gone a bit...

All I can tell you is that I had noticeable surge, did obsessive TB sync, etc. Had very strong surging and fuel cut-off at low RPM. Changed plugs, rode the bike...and I'm a believer.

My 1100 never did surge, but when I bought it, it did stumble once and awhile at idle. It never actually stalled but it sure did not idle with confidence. Changing the stock Bosch plugs for 3923's completely cured the idle stumble. My 2 cent opinion is that the traditional axial-fire Autolites (and probably any single electrode plug) will ignite an ultra lean mixture better than radial-file multi electrode plugs like the Bosch.

Breyfogle,

Could you expand on why you think that ? I don't know, but I'd like to hear some ideas.
Many moons ago I ran a auto parts business and the plug manufacturers touted the dual and multi electrode plugs as better than ice cream and free.........

Unfortunately, no.

I agree with the "unfortunately" bit! I have raised this question before as to why the BoD's/editor don't make this tech stuff available in a reachable form. I have seen the answer but still have to say that given the level of tech interest in the membership, it is a shame we cannot go after this information/knowledge. Rant over...

What was the condition/age of the old plug when you changed it? New?

I had my bike serviced and when it came back it was fine, but I wanted to have the spark plugs everybody was talking about: the iridium. I swapped them against the brandspankingnew originals that the mechanic put in and went for a ride...absolutely no difference... ;)

So I wonder: is it not so that when you exchange old plugs for new ones, there will be an improvement, regardless if it's the wonderplug or just the original?

Breyfogle,

Could you expand on why you think that ? I don't know, but I'd like to hear some ideas.
Many moons ago I ran a auto parts business and the plug manufacturers touted the dual and multi electrode plugs as better than ice cream and free.........

Well, the thinking is like this (and ICBW!!): The intake charge drawn into the cylinder is very turbulent. Not all areas have the correct air to fuel ratio to ignite easily. In modern ultra lean burn engines, some of these areas are too lean to ignite while other areas are rich enough to ignite just fine. As the piston rises on the compression stroke, these areas of charge swirl around rather randomly. If the plug fires just when a lean area passes thru the spark gap a miss-fire occurs. With a traditional axial fire single electrode plug, the spark gap is very exposed to swirling flow from every direction except the small angle blocked by the side electrode. With multi electrode radial fire plugs, the spark gaps are tucked uo against the plug body and seem to be shielded from almost every direction. This increased shielding might decrease the chances any of the spark gaps "seeing" a combustable air to fuel ratio when the plug fires. Note also, just because a plug has multiple electrodes doesn't mean more than one spark is produced. On each cycle, only the one spark gap that sees the minimum resistance fires. The others do nothing except block the flow to the spark gap that does fire.

:dunno

i have you seen the price of membership

lately? For the amount that we pay, they had better offer something that not anyone else can get.

I seriously considered not renewing my membership this year when i found out how much my 5 year membership was.

Rant off....

I agree with the "unfortunately" bit! I have raised this question before as to why the BoD's/editor don't make this tech stuff available in a reachable form. I have seen the answer but still have to say that given the level of tech interest in the membership, it is a shame we cannot go after this information/knowledge. Rant over...

Well, the thinking is like this (and ICBW!!): The intake charge drawn into the cylinder is very turbulent. Not all areas have the correct air to fuel ratio to ignite easily. In modern ultra lean burn engines, some of these areas are too lean to ignite while other areas are rich enough to ignite just fine. As the piston rises on the compression stroke, these areas of charge swirl around rather randomly. If the plug fires just when a lean area passes thru the spark gap a miss-fire occurs. With a traditional axial fire single electrode plug, the spark gap is very exposed to swirling flow from every direction except the small angle blocked by the side electrode. With multi electrode radial fire plugs, the spark gaps are tucked uo against the plug body and seem to be shielded from almost every direction. This increased shielding might decrease the chances any of the spark gaps "seeing" a combustable air to fuel ratio when the plug fires. Note also, just because a plug has multiple electrodes doesn't mean more than one spark is produced. On each cycle, only the one spark gap that sees the minimum resistance fires. The others do nothing except block the flow to the spark gap that does fire.

:dunno
Thanks for the follow-up. I get the physics involved, but I just don't know if it really matters. Of course, way,way back in college, a physics professor told me there are some things you just have to take on faith. I just shook my head and thanked him.

benchwrenching articles

Paul, are those ON issues accessible to anyone not a club member at the time? Online? I've come and gone a bit...

I happen to have a copy of Paul's Benchwrenching articles from October and November 2008. I try to save as many of Paul's excellent articles as I can so I can refer to them in the future. I have access to a scanner at work that can email copies as a pdf file.

If anyone would like a copy please pm me with your email address and if I can get the articles scanned into email I will send you a copy. Please give me a few days since I am off until wednesday. Please send your snail mail address too and if the scanning doesn't work I will try to mail a few copies of the articles to you.

Gort

I happen to have a copy of Paul's Benchwrenching articles from October and November 2008. I try to save as many of Paul's excellent articles as I can so I can refer to them in the future. I have access to a scanner at work that can email copies as a pdf file.

If anyone would like a copy please pm me with your email address and if I can get the articles scanned into email I will send you a copy. Please give me a few days since I am off until wednesday. Please send your snail mail address too and if the scanning doesn't work I will try to mail a few copies of the articles to you.

Gort

Not to be a dead electrode... Ain't they copywritten?
Hold the flames please.

As long as there is no commercial gain, there shouldn't be any issue. It's no different than giving one to a buddy down the street.

I am using the Bosch 4417 this is a 4 electrode plug. It workls very well for me, much better than the Autolite 3923. If is is indexing, 4 electrodes should be better than 2. This is another solution.

Rod

Back