• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Raleigh NC to Bloomsburg PA....Best Route

Grandpa Ken

aka: Grandpa Ken
I'll be heading to the rally from the Raleigh NC area and I'm looking for an interesting route.

I'll be leaving Wednesday 7-20 or Thursday 7-21 if anyone is interested in traveling together.

Thanks
Ken

The simplest (assuming you want to staff off of interstates) would be to pick up 15 in Chapel Hill or Durham and stay on it all the way to Bloomsburg. The funnest would be to take the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive through Virginia to Front Royal, then maybe 340 to Frederick, MD and pick up 15 there.

Head over to Greensboro take RT 220 north to State College PA Then RT 45 east will get you close. But slow going at times.
Why not ride the interstate and get to Bloomsburg a day early and ride the roads around the Rally site before all those BMWs crowd the roads?
tony

NC to Rally

We have four riders leaving on Tuesday morning from Hillsborough, NC. We will travel on 86 N to Danville, head west on 158 to Martinsville, N on 220 to Roanoke and into West Virginia on 39 and then through WV on Rt 28 to spend the night at Smoke Hole Resort. On Wednesday, we travel east to Hancock, MD and into PA on 522. We will pick up 75 and 274 to head northeast. We will cross the Susquehanna and proceed on 147 to 225 to Shamokin and then travel to Catawissa and arrive in Bloomsburg on Wednesday afternoon.

Coming back to NC on Saturday, we will take 11/15 through Gettysburg and then 15 south through VA and spend the night at Warrenton. Sunday, we will travel to NC.

Bill

Thanks for the info. Hwy 15 looks like a good route. No GPS just paper maps, old school style. I have limited time off from work, so I'll be trying to make it up to PA in one day.

I'm planning to leave from Charlotte on Wednesday. Depending on the weather and traffic I might make it a one or two day trip to Rally Grounds.

Leaving Tuesday

I will be leaving the beach [near Wilmington, NC] Tuesday morning.

I will take Hwy 421 North toward Sanford then go over to Hwy 86 near Hillsborough. It will be route 86 to Danville, VA. where I will pick up I-81 for 181 miles before getting on Hwy 11 which will take me into the rally.

I normally avoid interstate travel, but I-81 through that section is some great travel. I avoid I-95 at ALL costs.

My riding time should be around 12 hours but i will add an hour to that for stops. I should be at the rally before dark. I hate riding after dark. Too many close calls from deer for me.

Back