• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I am so excited, I can't hide it

I bet you guys are tired of me

Cussing and fussing over a brand new high end luxury sport touring masterpiece. BUT, I won't stop fussing until I have nothing to fuss about. I just got off the phone with my dealer. Fri, when he told me he could not in fact put a throttlemeister on a heated grip bar because of the wire, he said he would go ahead and get the bike from KC and it would take two weeks. He said it in the same way you say something you are sure of because you have already worked it out. WRONG. WHat he meant to say was that he would TRY to order the bike from Engle in KC and it might take two weeks. Now he is saying that he is getting a bike from Mass and it will take 3-4 weeks. I'm still getting fed up. All I can think about at work and home is the KGT. I am sick in the head. I am not in a position to be able to go globe trekking around the country and get a bike from whatever dealership has one and ride it home. The dealer is still a nice guy who is genuinely (I think) trying to accomodate my strange request (a blue KGT with the normal options). BUT, my biggest beef is he has gotten my hopes up three times now by promising me something that he is not sure about and he turns out to be wrong about. I just want to buy a fricking bike. And ride it, a lot. I hope for my wife's sake, he gets it right this time so she can get her normal non-obsessive husband back.

WVCajun

Last edited:
wvcajun said:
Fri, when he told me he could not in fact put a throttlemeister on a heated grip bar because of the wire

I have a Throttlemeister on my RT with heated grips. You might want to ask again.

Dealer

They said that once they tried to install the throttlemeister, it would not work because the heated grip wire was routed internally in the bar. ????

MG

wvcajun said:
They said that once they tried to install the throttlemeister, it would not work because the heated grip wire was routed internally in the bar. ????

MG

Guess he should try the throttlemeister made for heated grips instead of the other one. Dealer doesnt sound all that bright.

I'd ask for my deposit back and look elsewhere for a K12. I've dealt with people like your dealer and I've gotten the feeling that if they think you'll put up with thier nincompoopery then they'll milk it for all its worth. I had a land lord who was really good about doing work on the apartment on time, but then once he couldn't get to a repair when he said he would and I said "hey, no problem, just get to it when you can." After that NOTHING ever got fixed on time. :banghead

This guy you're dealing with is acting like he doesn't want your money, so I wouldn't give it to him.
Think about what will happen when you take the bike in for a repair? "Oh sorry, that part I thought we had in stock really has to be special ordered from germany and that will take three weeks."
Do YOU want to deal with this????????

BTW, the K12GT is such a sweet bike that it is almost worth putting up with this dealer. Almost. You'll still be glad you bought it though.

Dealer service

I work in the medical field. I say that to preface a question. When you are unsatisfied with your MD, it is very difficult to change docs because of an unwritten rule that one won't take the others patients away. Do BMW dealers act in this way? Will I be shooting myself in the foot if I buy elsewhere and one day need to goto the original dealer for service? I have read many many posts on many forums that indicate that you need a quality dealer fighting for you rights as an owner if big problems arise. What do you guys think?
PS The dealer that is yanking my chain is giving me a sweet deal on my trade that no one else comes close to.

:dunno
MG

wel see if you can find one somewhere else and get more off the top. The k12s will kill the sales of the gt when it comes out.

An educated consumer is the best customer. So tell your dealer you are a little worried and here are your X reasons why. Why should you trust him? See what he says.

Update

So far, the bike is scheduled to be picked up from MA on April 8 and be delivered on April 11. That works out exactly crappy for me because I am obligated until April 30. The only way I am going to be able to take delivery sooner is to take a day off work. ARGH! BMW NA is lucky that I know exactly what I want and am willing to put up with all the crap to get it. Sorry for the foul language.

MG

Take April 12th off

The forecast for April 12th is upper 70s, sunny and no wind. Take the day off, pick up the bike and go for a ride. The first twist of the throttle will make all this aggregation go away :)
Enjoy

That's a good idea

I think I will go up the night before. I have a 3 hour ride on my old bike to trade her in. If I go after work the night before, stay with a friend, then I can be at the dealership when they open. Hopefully I can finish all the paperwork by lunch and have the whole rest of the day to put the first 600 miles on it. :brow :brow . Since it's about 200 miles give or take one way, I'll probably make the first service appt when I pick up the bike.
I'm getting excited again, must guard against that because we all know what happened the last three times I got excited (something went wrong). No, I'm not really that pessimistic (yes I am).

MG

Oh Yea

I had been riding the K100RS (my dirty bike) untill today. I just couldn't take it anymore and pulled the mighty RS out of the shop and did some SMILES !!

The other two are still parked for winter storage in the "rescue-storage-escape winter, enclosed trailor" but that may change soon. Right now I am satisfied, but in the back of my mind I wish I could afford your airhead. Still loves them, hope you don't miss her too bad when she's gone.

Tim

I've got a bad feeling

That's right, this thing "ain't" over yet. The shipper was supposed to pick up the bike in Mass. on Fri 4/8 and deliver it on Mon. 4/11. I just got an email from the dealer (because I sent him one on Fri to check on things) that said the shipper will now pick up the bike on Mon 4/11 and deliver Wed 4/13. I went ahead and got the day off for Thur 4/14 to pick up the new K1200GT. I am quite pessimistic about the outcome of this whole process. I really would like to sell my 1977 R100RS so that I could go elsewhere and actually get a bike. I have it listed on the 4Winds forum and the I-BMWR.com classifieds by the name Matthew Guidry. I am about at my wits end. I hope to one day use the maintainance CD that Boofer so graciously sent me. I know of two RED GT waiting for a good home at this moment, but I am stuck.

MG

My Two Cents Worth

I've read all the posts for you WVCajun and my heart goes out to you. Now, I must say this: I have an '04 K12GT, Blue. It came standard with heated seat and handgrips, AND Cruise Control. The only things I added were the bar backs, BMW navigation system, Baehr communications system, and an Aeroflow windscreen. And yes, the magnetic tang bag also works. Once you break that bike in, you will be smiling from one end of the back of your head to the other. It is oh so sweet. I previously had an R11GS which took me across the U.S. 3 times, including Alaska and up to the Arctic Circle, and over to Goose Bay Labrador. That was one ugly bike, but it was tough. Bike was totalled in an accident and it took me over 3 years to recover. I wanted to try a K bike, so I looked for 2 years before I chose the GT. Sweet, oh so sweet... :drink

Raphael

Forever more you will be humming that Linda Ronstadt song in your helmet.

BLEW BY YOU !!! :clap

Enjoy :thumb

Tim

God...

is surely smiling on me. Every great hero must endure/suffer before he is rewarded. I have been greatly rewarded. I have the new K1200GT, 2004, cc, heated grips/seat, and she is all mine. I have named her Fliegen Lowe (German for Flying Lion) and it certainly fits.
I rode up last night and stayed with a friend of mine because the dealership is 3.5 hrs from my abode. I was at the dealership bright and early at 10:00 (traffic) ready for the exchange. Through all these 6-7 weeks of waiting, I have been very nervous/worried. I didn't want anything to happen to my old bike that would spoil the deal. The whole way up I was thinking, "Just ride smart and stay safe and DON'T let anything happen to the bike." Everything went very smooth. The weather was awesome and the traffic homeward was light. What FANTASTIC FUN this new bike is. WOW. :clap :D :clap
One last word on the dealer. They need to get their act together. After all I have been through, I only got 20 miles from the dealership and ---------------you guessed it------ I needed to fill up. Obviously an oversight, but a perfect example of their attention to detail. They are very nice and I like the dealer on a personal level, BUT I doubt I will go there for all my service. I live too far away to fart around and be delayed or unable to get home because of one of their future goofs/blunders. Enough of that talk.

It's time to rejoice! :drink :drink :drink

Attachments

• me_and_gt_1.jpg
    me_and_gt_1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 89
Here's more

I know you guys/gals want more shots of the truly gorgeous one.

MG

Attachments

• new_gt_1.jpg
    new_gt_1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 88
Enjoy Matthew

Well Matthew,

After all that I am glad you finally got the darn thing, Can't wait to see ya and the bike here in Pittsburgh on the 30th.

gsweave

Back