• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Vancouver to LA

mgordon

Just acquired a 98 R1100r with 110k kms on it. Slowly doing maintenance, upgrades, but it is in pretty good shape (needs tires, rear disc, front bobbins).

I have a week of business in LA in two weeks. Contemplating riding down, making a road trip of it. I brought a 94 RS back from LA a few years ago with my ex. That made the ride longer (!), but just wondering if it's worth such a long trip and wear on my bike for straight riding down and up. I'd do it in legs: Seattle overnight, then N. Cal, then Berkeley, then LA....Same return route.

Only another insane rider can encourage me!

Cheers,
MG

When I bought my 'new to me' 97 R850 last year, spouse and I traded riding from South Dakota to Minneapolis (family) then back home to central WA.

The weather sucked, the bike had bald 13 year old tires, but other than that, it was a great ride. :)

I think it would be a great trip. I seldom take I-5 for my SoCal trips, but....

I have made the run from Portland to LA many times. There are so many alternative routes that I-5 is not necessary. This time of year you may want to keep to the coast range (and coast) as the east side of the Great Pacific Northwest is still getting lots of weather. Today the snow level is 4000'
Make the ride. It beats the heck out of driving.

Just acquired a 98 R1100r with 110k kms on it. Slowly doing maintenance, upgrades, but it is in pretty good shape (needs tires, rear disc, front bobbins).

I have a week of business in LA in two weeks. Contemplating riding down, making a road trip of it. I brought a 94 RS back from LA a few years ago with my ex. That made the ride longer (!), but just wondering if it's worth such a long trip and wear on my bike for straight riding down and up. I'd do it in legs: Seattle overnight, then N. Cal, then Berkeley, then LA....Same return route.

Only another insane rider can encourage me!

Cheers,
MG

MG,

Two route suggestions; first route is slightly less than 2600 kms or less than 700 km/day and the second route is 2200 kms or about 550 km/day.

First route I5 to Salem then across Santiam Pass (SR22 to US20) to Bend, then south on US97 to K-Falls, next SR39 (OR) which becomes SR 139 (CA) make for Susanville, from there SR36 to US 395 to Reno, then take a quick jaunt on I80 (east) to Fernley then south again on US50/US95 to La Vegas, from Las Vegas I15 to LA.

Second Route Same to Reno but continue south on US 395 to I15 --OR-- take SR14 off US 395 (depending on where in LA you need to go).

Good Luck. Whatever route you decide-just GO!:dance

Backroad ADV

PS 'The Coast' would be my preferred route but I would want more than four days on that route.

MG,

Two route suggestions; first route is slightly less than 2600 kms or less than 700 km/day and the second route is 2200 kms or about 550 km/day.

First route I5 to Salem then across Santiam Pass (SR22 to US20) to Bend, then south on US97 to K-Falls, next SR39 (OR) which becomes SR 139 (CA) make for Susanville, from there SR36 to US 395 to Reno, then take a quick jaunt on I80 (east) to Fernley then south again on US50/US95 to La Vegas, from Las Vegas I15 to LA.

Second Route Same to Reno but continue south on US 395 to I15 --OR-- take SR14 off US 395 (depending on where in LA you need to go).

Good Luck. Whatever route you decide-just GO!:dance

Backroad ADV

PS 'The Coast' would be my preferred route but I would want more than four days on that route.

Took 395 north to Reno from SoCal couple of weeks ago. The roads were in great shape and no closures.

If you take S/B 395, several of things to check on.

Reports of some road construction at or near 4 corners, with delays up 1 hour. Was clear when I rode through, but there was evidence of paving going on.

When you pass through the small towns along the route, pay attention to the posted speed, could be important.

When you get to Adelanto on S/B 395, make a left on Air Expressway, ride pass the old George AFB, to National Trails. Right on National Trails to I-15 south. This will let you bypass several miles of stop & go commuter traffic.

And here's a couple of good sites to check for traffic condition (long & short term).

CHP CAD for the entire state... http://cad.chp.ca.gov/ (Real time traffic problems)

CalTrans... http://www.dot.ca.gov/ (current and long term traffic)

Enjoy

I have made the run from Portland to LA many times. There are so many alternative routes that I-5 is not necessary. This time of year you may want to keep to the coast range (and coast) as the east side of the Great Pacific Northwest is still getting lots of weather. Today the snow level is 4000'
Make the ride. It beats the heck out of driving.

Looks like I am going to take the coast...so much more scenic. I'm thinking Coos Bay as a first stop (from Vancouver, BC). That's a solid day's riding...Unless you recommend a better spot?

The Oregon coast is indeed very scenic. So much so that the the north third of the coast highway is chock-a-block with little towns with stop signs, signal lights and tourist traffic. The southern part, not so much.

So you burn down I-5 from Vancouver, get to Portland and go west on Hwy 26. I would take Hwy 6 (Wilson River Hwy) to Tillamook, Stay on 3rd street to Bayocean RD and then veer north for a rock'n little scenic detour where the Cape Meares lighthouse is perched on a high bluff over a roiling cove. Then cruise south on the Cape Meares loop to Netarts Bay road, which becomes Cape Lookout Road, then continue south on Sandlake Road which becomes Cape Kiwanda Dr. These roads are an coastal alternate to Hwy 101 and very easy to follow. The inn at Cape Kiwanda is right across the street from a beach front brew pub and state park. I think this would be a nice stopping point for a long first day.

The Oregon coast is indeed very scenic. So much so that the the north third of the coast highway is chock-a-block with little towns with stop signs, signal lights and tourist traffic. The southern part, not so much.

So you burn down I-5 from Vancouver, get to Portland and go west on Hwy 26. I would take Hwy 6 (Wilson River Hwy) to Tillamook, Stay on 3rd street to Bayocean RD and then veer north for a rock'n little scenic detour where the Cape Meares lighthouse is perched on a high bluff over a roiling cove. Then cruise south on the Cape Meares loop to Netarts Bay road, which becomes Cape Lookout Road, then continue south on Sandlake Road which becomes Cape Kiwanda Dr. These roads are an coastal alternate to Hwy 101 and very easy to follow. The inn at Cape Kiwanda is right across the street from a beach front brew pub and state park. I think this would be a nice stopping point for a long first day.

Great stuff! Bringing my tent/camping gear, so it looks like Cape Lookout for me!

Made it to LA!

Ride is going amazing...some goofy side-trips (Leggett to Fort Bragg CA then back on 20)....bike is STELLAR. Camped at Cape Lookout in Tillamook.

Back