• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cam Chain Tensioner replacement--simplest method?

Old Thread I know, but hopefully a good place to ask my question.
1995 R1100RSL, 60,500 miles, with original tensioner, 10w-40 oil, in winter hibernation for over 2 months. Today I fired it up listening specifically for chain rattle, heard about "5 ticks" then all quiet. Question - would this be a correct indication that the tensioner is still in good condition? Thank you! DP

1995 R1100RSL, 60,500 miles, with original tensioner, 10w-40 oil, in winter hibernation for over 2 months. Today I fired it up listening specifically for chain rattle, heard about "5 ticks" then all quiet. Question - would this be a correct indication that the tensioner is still in good condition? Thank you! DP

Yes! But, as simple as it would be to replace it I would do it anyway. The risk when it isn't working properly is a broken chain guide which is not simple to fix.

Thanks Paul. In 2011 the EPA gas fume canister was removed, and the input shaft splines were greased. During the last couple of years, the spark plugs were changed to Auto Lite 3923, throttle bodies were rebuilt with the Dan Cata kit, Hall Effect Sensor replaced, brake lines replaced with the Spiegler kit, gas tank hoses/filter replaced, and soon, a new cam chain tensioner. l plan on keeping this RSL a few more years, so any other preventative maintenance suggestions? Thanks! DP

It's the rattle on HOT startup that is the indicator and is what damages the chain guide. Cold startup is much less pronounced if at all.

I just installed the upgraded tensioner in my R1150RT a few days ago and have ridden the bike a few times since then. I never even realized how awful it sounded during startup with that old tensioner until hearing just how quiet it is with the new one.

I replaced the tensioner with the aftermarket version from Beemer Boneyard.

A few tips that made my installation super smooth. I bought some crappy wrenches and cut a notch around one of box wrenches to increase the swing space (got this tip from a Chris Harris video). This makes installing and removing the tensioner super easy without buying a specialty tool.

On my bike, I didn't have enough clearance to get the tensioner in/out without compressing the front suspension (i.e., the arm from the tele-lever swings up and away to create more clearance when the suspension is compressed).

When I first installed it I went a bit light on the torque (afraid to over-torque since I didn't have a way to torque to spec in the tight spot) and ended up with a leak requiring more tightening.

Back