• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Savanaha 2 Riding Jacket

HUGH

I am looking for a jacket that can be used in the spring, hot summer and the fall. My main concerns are for the jacket to have good protection in case I fall off my scooter, keep me cool in the hot summer and be water proof by being built in or something that can be added via a zipper. I prefer Gortex as it breaths as I do not want to sweat to death when it is hot and starts raining. I priced out the Savanaha 2 BMW jacket and I was surprised by the cost. $475 for the jacket and $200 for the Gortex liner. Does anyone have any suggestions for a jacket that will meet my criteria that is less expensive than $700. If not, I may have to bite the bullet and open the wallet. Thanks in advance.

I've used a Savannah II jacket for over 2 years now, and it is truly the most versatile jacket I've ever owned.

It is expensive, but the ventalation system is outstanding. Shortly before my first summer with the Savannah I bought a Joe Rocket Reactor jacket. I think I've worn the JR two or three times since then. The Savannah is comfortable in Tidewater Virginia summers and until about 50 degrees with no liner.

It's not an inexpensive jacket, but between the pockets and the ventalation, it can't be beat. Don't forget the copious reflective area on the shoulder. That jacket lights up like it's got its own power source in the headlights.

I have a Savanah II and I love it. It's the first MC jacket I've owned in 15 years; got the pants, too.

Forget the liner. Get the Phase 2 jacket, quite versatile and comfortable at all but the coldest temps.

Love my Savannah jacket and I couldn't believe at the time I spent $200 on the liner, but it all works great together in colder weather. The liner is super light yet blocks the wind and really breathes well.

Ideally, if it gets super hot outside, you may want to get a second jacket like their Airflow for hot summer weather. The Savannah is not going to work real well above 80 to 85?? even when the liner is removed. I know getting an expensive jacket is hard enough, but two different kinds will really cover the bases.

Good luck.

FWIW, I love my Savanna II. I have been through a few jackets over the past 5 years or so & none have held-up as well as the Savanna II. I have found that with the liner out & all the vents open I am good to ride in weather up to about 90 degrees. With the liner in & my Gerbing heated jacket I am good to ride down in the 30ÔÇÖs.

I really like the pants & the whole suite works very, very well. I donÔÇÖt know what you situation is but I wanted a Rally II suite, but they do not make one big enough. Same goes for the Darien. If the Rally fits it is a great set-up & it comes with the GORTEX liners.

If you decide to with the Savanna II get the pants one size bigger than your street pants. This allows me to wear them be it tightly over jeans. This makes commuting a little more convenient.

Fwiw

I saw a Savanah II jacket w/liner earlier today on EBay. Size 42, New with tags. Ebay Item # 7959578644 Bids started at $240. I don't remember how much longer it is up for auction.

If you are interested, check it out. :wave

Consider the Rukka APR3

If you're considering a Savannah, take a look at the Rukka. I've been looking for the perfect motorcycle jacket, one that works for all weather conditions and temperatures. They are VERY expensive (about $875), but compared to the Savannah they're worth the money. Their gore-tex liner is included, along with an interesting "air-power" liner that you inflate for more insulation when needed. Guys who recommended it to me say it keeps them warm into the high 40's and low 50's. That's good enough for me, because I rarely ride when it's below 55. When you remove the liner, the jacket flows air almost like a mesh jacket, so it's ideal for those of us on the West Coast who sometimes find ourselves riding through the desert.Excellent fit, high tech armor, obviously designed by people who understand motorcycling. After I took delivery of the jacket, I immediately sold my others (Darien, Harley's FXRG medium weight jacket, and the Cortech). The jacket comes with a five year guarantee.

Back