Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: K4x Motor-Cam Chain and Sproket

  1. #1
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kimberton,Pa.
    Posts
    497

    K4x Motor-Cam Chain and Sproket

    With the already recommendation to change out the cam chain tensioner and adding the anti tooth jump guard..and now from BMW..it is recommended to replace both the cam sprocket and cam chain at the 18 K service..and all not under warranty with the exception of the cam tensioner..this will be a very expensive service!

  2. #2
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    With the already recommendation to change out the cam chain tensioner and adding the anti tooth jump guard..and now from BMW..it is recommended to replace both the cam sprocket and cam chain at the 18 K service..and all not under warranty with the exception of the cam tensioner..this will be a very expensive service!
    BMW Bulletin?
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  3. #3
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kimberton,Pa.
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    BMW Bulletin?
    INFO ON LOCATION OF DEALER/SERVICE NOTICE FOR THE CAM CHAIN:

    The letter is dated 02/11/2011. It's in the TIS section of the dealer website.
    Not easy to find (as I witnessed yesterday). Apparently, it is supposed to be on the
    Inspection Check List sometime but it's not there yet. My dealer-LONESTAR
    brought this to the attention of their FSE (service guy from BMW).

    My dealership is going to strongly suggest that customers install the new
    guide at the 18K service and at the 36K service strongly suggest replacing the
    chain, sprockets, etc. with the new K13 components (as the original chain/sprockets are not available).

  4. #4
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the state of Misery for now.
    Posts
    1,295
    any idea what the labor and parts cost of this will be.

    This will make it easier to resist the siren call of the K1600. I needed that.

  5. #5
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    INFO ON LOCATION OF DEALER/SERVICE NOTICE FOR THE CAM CHAIN:

    The letter is dated 02/11/2011. It's in the TIS section of the dealer website.
    Not easy to find (as I witnessed yesterday). Apparently, it is supposed to be on the
    Inspection Check List sometime but it's not there yet. My dealer-LONESTAR
    brought this to the attention of their FSE (service guy from BMW).

    My dealership is going to strongly suggest that customers install the new
    guide at the 18K service and at the 36K service strongly suggest replacing the
    chain, sprockets, etc. with the new K13 components (as the original chain/sprockets are not available).
    That's more like what I heard from the Denver area. That the 36K change of chain and sprocket will be on the maintenance list. The thing about the chain guide was not mentioned back then of course...since it's a relatively new item, or new to hear about.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  6. #6
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    any idea what the labor and parts cost of this will be.

    This will make it easier to resist the siren call of the k1600. I needed that.
    $75
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  7. #7
    I'd rather be riding... spanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    183

    Real numbers

    Here's the latest quote I got for the service:

    Cam Chain/Tensioner Update
    11 31 7 703 192 (sprocket wheel set with chain) 217.30
    11 31 7 717 287 (tensioner) 124.66
    11 26 7 684 353 (clutch cover gasket) 28.31
    11 13 7 676 478 (clutch cover screws) 33.66
    11 14 7 678 478 (clutch cover screw) 2.20
    Labor 326.70
    Regards,
    Randy
    '02 RT, '06 K12s bumblebee
    '05 Ducati ST3 '04 Ducati SS1000DS

  8. #8
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Oh sorry. I was just responding to the cam chain guard install.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  9. #9
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Oh sorry. I was just responding to the cam chain guard install.
    I'm convinced now that our bikes need the chain jump guard installed. I was thinking that maybe since it doesn't happen to every bike, I might avoid the issue. A tech I know very well said that the chains are stretching. Chain noise is a sign of that...I assume if you have the new tensioner and we are not talking about the old chain noise at startup, the noise may occur even with the new tensioner or at other than startup. This tech has seen several skipped a tooth bikes where the valves kissed the pistons, etc. He also mentioned changing out the chain and big sprocket at 36 K miles. On the '07 bikes and newer, the small sprocket is pressed onto the crank. I think the two sprocket and chain kit is NLA, I heard, so the only option seems to be changing the large sprocket and chain. I don't know if I will do that...surely if I hear some rattle and since I have the chain guard installed, I assume I'll be safe until I do change out the chain.
    So for about $75 and an hours time, it is worth doing. Makes me feel better about these bikes like I used to feel about the previous BMWs I have owned. Dang it.
    BTW, the suspension link changes on our three K12Ses took about 10 minutes each. Probably worth doing and is a recall item paid for by BMW. It appears that the bushings in the link are made of a different (I guess non corrosive) metal or finish. Otherwise they are the same and our bikes had no corrosion...even with the absence of some road out west going from WY into CO on pot holes, rain, mud, gravel, hail, and smiling road workers amused at our plight.
    Jack Hawley, MOA #224
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  10. #10
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,237
    Is the 36k chain/sprockets swap required for the K13 as well as the K12? It's getting to where one needs a road map to figure out which mods and non-standard service items need to be done on which bikes. The dealers aren't much help-- I asked the parts person at my local dealership about the cam chain guard and got a blank look. He then handed me a business card and said if I got him the part numbers he'd order it in for me.
    ?????

    Anyway, just wondering if the 13 needs the swap as well or has the chain/sprocket combo been upgraded on the K13 and no swap needed?

    Best,

    GTRider
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  11. #11
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Is the 36k chain/sprockets swap required for the K13 as well as the K12? It's getting to where one needs a road map to figure out which mods and non-standard service items need to be done on which bikes. The dealers aren't much help-- I asked the parts person at my local dealership about the cam chain guard and got a blank look. He then handed me a business card and said if I got him the part numbers he'd order it in for me.
    ?????

    Anyway, just wondering if the 13 needs the swap as well or has the chain/sprocket combo been upgraded on the K13 and no swap needed?

    Best,

    GTRider

    The quality control or whatever it is called bulletin came out in Feb of 2011. Seems unlikely that any K13 bikes have it. It calls for all the 12 and 13 four cyl bikes to need it. Your dealer can check for this, it's actually a "Measure", not a bulletin. The latest RSD will have a procedure in the inspections area called "checking for chain guard". Since it is such an easy job, it might be prudent to check or just do it with the parts on hand.
    These are the parts, you need about 20 of the long screws (actually 18 or something) and about 7 of the short screws. They are aluminum so they supposedly can't be reused. The gasket probably shouldn't be reused either, but I think some have reused them.

    11318526932
    CHAIN TOOTH-JUMP GUARD
    $6.70

    11147727974
    GASKET
    $28.31

    11137676132
    ISA SCREW - M6X25
    $1.80

    11147678478
    ISA SCREW - M6X20
    $2.00

    Jack Hawley, MOA #224
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  12. #12
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    The quality control or whatever it is called bulletin came out in Feb of 2011. Seems unlikely that any K13 bikes have it. It calls for all the 12 and 13 four cyl bikes to need it. Your dealer can check for this, it's actually a "Measure", not a bulletin. The latest RSD will have a procedure in the inspections area called "checking for chain guard". Since it is such an easy job, it might be prudent to check or just do it with the parts on hand.
    These are the parts, you need about 20 of the long screws (actually 18 or something) and about 7 of the short screws. They are aluminum so they supposedly can't be reused. The gasket probably shouldn't be reused either, but I think some have reused them.

    11318526932
    CHAIN TOOTH-JUMP GUARD
    $6.70

    11147727974
    GASKET
    $28.31

    11137676132
    ISA SCREW - M6X25
    $1.80

    11147678478
    ISA SCREW - M6X20
    $2.00

    Jack Hawley, MOA #224
    I don't know if the K13S will have the 36K in the maintenance schedule, as far as I know it's not in any maintenance schedule...but the word I got is that it will be. Or at any rate, it's prudent to do it particularly if you hear any rattle when running. If the chain jump guard is in place, then I think the issue is defused for the most part...other than hearing a loose chain.
    Anyway, that's the way I am going since you need a valve check at 36K anyway and changing the chain is not much additional other than the cost of it.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  13. #13
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    The quality control or whatever it is called bulletin came out in Feb of 2011. Seems unlikely that any K13 bikes have it. It calls for all the 12 and 13 four cyl bikes to need it. Your dealer can check for this, it's actually a "Measure", not a bulletin. The latest RSD will have a procedure in the inspections area called "checking for chain guard". Since it is such an easy job, it might be prudent to check or just do it with the parts on hand.
    These are the parts, you need about 20 of the long screws (actually 18 or something) and about 7 of the short screws. They are aluminum so they supposedly can't be reused. The gasket probably shouldn't be reused either, but I think some have reused them.
    Right, I was aware that the K13 bikes need the cam chain guard and planned on having it done at the next service, hence my question for the parts guy. But I'm wondering about the chain swap at 36k-- is that K12 only or is the K13 supposed to have it done as well?

    GTRider
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  14. #14
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the state of Misery for now.
    Posts
    1,295
    Well K1200 was already off my list from the non undercut gears, a repeat of a previous mistake. I hope they find whoever the idiot is at BMW that thinks nonundercut is a good idea and give him the axe. Now it is double off my list.

    I want to know more about the K1300, is it or is not requiring a change. Right now it is off my list too.

    K1600 used will be down the road, I want one bad, but if they keep this up, I will find a nice boxer.

    Rod

  15. #15
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    Well K1200 was already off my list from the non undercut gears, a repeat of a previous mistake. I hope they find whoever the idiot is at BMW that thinks nonundercut is a good idea and give him the axe. Now it is double off my list.

    I want to know more about the K1300, is it or is not requiring a change. Right now it is off my list too.

    K1600 used will be down the road, I want one bad, but if they keep this up, I will find a nice boxer.

    Rod
    I have the 1200S...what am I missing with my non-undercut gears? Is that something that increases reliability with performance riding, and I won't care since I just want to get to British Columbia or Oregon and back easy going?
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •