• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rte 10 from Hopewell VA to Suffolk area

cooptroop

I'm riding to the OBX from Northern(ish) VA this coming weekend, and I'm looking to avoid 64/664. I have a route planned that pops me out on 95S below Richmond. From there I'm looking to pick up Rte 10 in Hopewell, VA going toward Suffolk, and on from there. 10 looks like more fun than 460. Does anyone have any feedback on this part of route 10? A portion of my route is linked below.

Thanks!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Mineral,+VA&daddr=37.4028788,-77.5360222+to:36.86247,-76.58092+to:36.45052,-76.60445+to:Nags+Head,+NC&geocode=FUf_QwIdgTVb-ykHS58XS1SxiTFHzH6xuB_YdA%3BFf64OgId6uRg-ymvpdXCoAyxiTGGbGbz0hADEQ%3BFQZ6MgIdyHdv-ymnunVvxQywiTG_XHAYlFm88Q%3BFdgwLAId3htv-yk_fOR7ffuviTEsKNPLx9Hdpg%3BFZCqJAIdghF--ynnVAUVf-OkiTGBd1-lwFjh8w&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrsp=3&sz=9&via=1,2,3&sll=36.714669,-76.846619&sspn=0.959946,1.755066&ie=UTF8&ll=36.927939,-76.953735&spn=1.91452,3.510132&z=8

That's close to the route I usually take from Richmond to OBX. Since I leave from the north side of Richmond, I head out Route 5, which is what Main Street turns in to going east from downtown, and cross the James River on Rt 156 to Route 10. Or, head east on 5 to Jamestown and take the Scotland Ferry across the James to Surry. That bypasses Hopewell, but of course you have to deal with Richmond. But, you can get off of 95 and get on Main Street in Shockoe Bottom and be on Route 5 in short order.

I also usually take 258 from Smithfield to 460, and take 460 into Suffolk instead of staying on 10. No real reason, other than it seems to stay farther from civilization longer.

Roy F.

Take 5 instead of 10.

+1 on Rt 5

I see you are coming out of Mineral, I would go down 33, through Montpelier to Poe's Pub, (about an hour from Mineral), have breakfast or lunch, then take Rt 5 all the way to Jamestown, cross over the James on the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry (it is free), and pick up Rt 10 in Surry. Rt 5 is the road we all like to ride and Poe's caters to bikes and bikers of all kinds. We sometimes take Sunday morning runs just to eat breakfast there and then ride back. Of course, that will put you through the city, but I think it would be worth it.

Personally, if I had the time, I would go to Bumpass, Beaver Dam, Doswell, West Point, New Kent, Providence Forge, Charles City, Rt 5, Jamestown, Jamestown-Scotland Ferry, picking up 10 in Surry. I am originally from Culpeper and I like going from Yorktown, where I now live, taking the back roads from Doswell to 522. As far as the Rt 5, Providence Forge, New Kent, West Point, etc, these are normal Saturday/Sunday afternoon runs for me.

Back