• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Por-15 Cure time?

bobinthemtns

So just Por-15'ed my fuel tank- the guy who did it said, regarding curing time, to not use the tank until I couldn't smell any more acetates off-gassing.

The por-15 instructions said to cure for 4 days... it's now been 5.. However, the 5 days have been pretty humid..

I can still smell acetates, but just barely..... but dammit, it's been 5 days.....!!

So.. ride or not? Any advice??

Do you want to do the sealing job again in a few years? I'd be inclined to wait a long to time to be sure. What about curing with some heat? Could you put the tank into a large cardboard box with some light bulbs spread around? I wonder if that would help matters.

Do you want to do the sealing job again in a few years? I'd be inclined to wait a long to time to be sure. What about curing with some heat? Could you put the tank into a large cardboard box with some light bulbs spread around? I wonder if that would help matters.

One 60 w bulb will create significant heat in small area. Several might cause paint damage. I do not know this, just thinking outloud.

Yeah.. I don't think I want to heat it up...
Dammit Kurt-- you were supposed to say "hell yeah- it'll be fine!"
What's a "long time"?

Obviously too much heat is not good...what about sticking it up in the attic or something?? Probably the first response that to wait until it stops out gassing is the way to go. If it's not out gassing, that would mean that the conversion process has stopped.

Why get in a hurry? Relax...if you mixed it correctly, all is well...just let it take a day or two...not unusual for stuff to still smell after they've dried, I think it's good...

Aim a small fan toward it. It's not like the offgassing has anyplace to go in a tank with no air circulation....

Hell yeah- it'll be fine. Go ride your bike!

Of curse, if it isn't, don't come crying to me!

I rode it! It's too sweet!
And then it started leaking gas like a sieve.....................goddammit

Back to the drawing board.

:cry

What was wrong with the tank originally? POR-15 is a liner remover/reliner, not a hole repair kit. What's the deal?..............Dennis

PS.....ahhhhhhhh I see the answer in another thread......good luck....and for me........God bless.......Dennis

Back