• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Determining Used Motorcycle Prices

jogitu

So I am thinking about another bike to add to my small stable and once again that light search has led to the same question I have each time I look for a used bike. That question is "What in the hell are you thinking"? I bought my 2010 new from the dealer and when I start looking at used prices some people come up with I think to myself, just buy new. Why would you think your 10 year old GS is worth $10,000? Why would think putting new tires or new anything on the bike makes it worth more? Is it not supposed to have tires, battery, exhaust, grips, windshield, etc. anyway? Do some people just not research this stuff? I see 2-3 year old bikes that people are actually asking $1000 or so less than new. I can haggle that much off a new forget I find a demo and save much more. Anyone heard of dealer incentives that make that used asking price equal to or more than new?
Don't get me wrong on my Andy Rooney like rant, they have a right and can ask the moon. If you can get it more power to you but reality is a reality. Unless you are adding solid gold farkles they don't add real value. Since when does does having a bike in solid mechanical shape add value? Answer: never. See that is taken into consideration on used values. When it needs things like new tires, battery, windshield cracked, headlights cracked, etc. you subtract that from the value considering the cost of reconditioning.
In this age of the Internet and all the information available to make informed decisions about buying or selling anything this ignorance has no excuse. Especially when you are advertising via the Internet. Ask what you want but don't be surprised when nobody calls. After all I can just use common sense to know you have lost your mind.

I watch Craigslist often and the prices people ask are often ridiculous (esp. on a certain "American" brand) and continue to see the bike listed over and over...

However, I disagree with you about buying a new bike, they depreciate way too fast.... i.e. In January I purchased a 4 month old R1200RT (2010) LOADED, PERFECT (and CalSci windshield, new BMW R1200RT tankbag, NO radio- I'm all BT anyway) only 2,100 miles from a DEALER (bike was on consignment) for $15.5K, Seller took at least a $5-$6K++ hit in 4 months. Sticker was over $20K; and I recently sold a cruiser and in 2 years lost over 1/2 what I paid for it. They're deals out there.. just got to search.

Let someone else take the hit..Yes, many are asking high, high prices... but you'd be surprised what they will take.. ASK and SELL are two different things.. Altogether.

I saw where 2-3 year old used economic cars are selling at an all time high. Used bikes may follow this trend if gas stays high enough. But I agree, sellers seem to think that routine maintenance costs should be added to the retail value. WRONG!

Sellers need to walk a fine line. They expect to be talked down. So they give themselves room to drop the price. But if they puff it too much then folks just ignore the ad and they never get a chance to deal.

I use a different tactic. Pick a good price, fair to me and a buyer. Advertise it and sell the bike quickly. I sold 2 with one ad and had three firm buyers in the first two hours. The price was enough and it was a no hassle sale of both bikes. None of the three hopeful buyers wanted to argue about price.

When I want to buy a bike I consider the bike, its condition, etc. and decide what I will pay. I offer that amount. Seller take it or leave it. Only rarely do I get emotionally involved with a specific bike - and they are usually red, and not for me anyway. :)

snip....Since when does does having a bike in solid mechanical shape add value? Answer: never.

I disagree with you. I think a bike in good, solid mechanical condition can and will command a higher price. My 2 cents.

See this is at the heart of the issue. It is supposed to be in solid mechanical shape. That is the norm. That is not supposed to add to value. When things are needed they subtract from value. That is valuation 101. I suggest to you and everyone that regular maintenance is the expectation. Leaking gaskets are not.

said it before say it again== ANY BMW 5 seconds after it is sold-- you will take on avergage a 45-50% loss............. flame away--------- i've done the math.

It took me quite a while to find the K75RT I now own. I looked at dozens of bikes over a couple years and what ultimately sold me on this one, besides looking and running well, was a 1" thick stack of maintenance and repair receipts detailing every required service and then some. For 15 year old bikes this is quite the exception, often you're lucky to even get some of them.

To answer the OP's question, try first searching all of Craig's list by entering "site:craigslist.org" then the model for which you are looking (K75S)- that is an excellent place to start to see what bikes are selling for in various states of condition. Then look over at the IBMWR classifieds, and here in our flea market.

Also, some bikes just hold their value better, usually the ones that cost less new. For instance, the K1200LT bikes sold for $14k+ and can be had all day for $7k these days, whereas an F650GS which sold for $7k+ new will often command at least $5,500.

I just sold my R1100RS for a very fair price. I rebuilt the Ohlins shocks, replaced the aging battery, gave it a full once over, new plugs, set the valves and freshened all the fluids and filters. Also included some extras like the tank bag and such. Basically I did everything to it I would have done had I been keeping to ride another season, then let the guy have it for my bottom line price.

But don't be too quick to think that I'm a great sucker, er seller, the buyer is my Brother-in-law and friend. He'll also be a riding partner for a few trips so my motives have a bit of a selfish side to them. Plus, since the bike is still in the family, I'll be doing most of the future serving on it anyway, might as well do it now. :nod I did leave the old tires on, but they are still good for four or five thousand Kms.

All the same, had it been anyone else buying it, I would have done most of that to it anyway. The shock rebuild was an extra, as was choosing an Odyssey dry cell batter over a standard one. I agree that basic maintenance and good mechanical condition should be the standard for valuing a bike. Defects and faults reduce the value. Just the same, an above average machine that does not reflect the typical wear and tear expected coincidental to its age should demand a premium value within reason.

Having also just purchased a newer bike, I am familiar with the overvalued used bikes on the market. I spent quite a long time looking at ads to find the exact bike I wanted at a fair price. I saw one that was the right bike, but the asking price for a three year old bike at just slightly below that of a brand new model was a clear sign the seller was out of touch. I can't be bothered to even contact someone who prices a bike that high as there is no way they will be willing to come down to a realistic value. Patience is your best weapon when buying used vehicles, keep waiting and watching and eventually the right deal will appear. Just be ready to move on it when it does.

said it before say it again== ANY BMW 5 seconds after it is sold-- you will take on avergage a 45-50% loss............. flame away--------- i've done the math.

Perfect. With that math, i should be able to find that nearly new 2010 F800GS for $8000 (just over 1/2 of new).
And then i will rub my magic genie lamp again and go for my other 2 wishes!! now, you can say it as many times as you like, but it won't make it so.

your percentage devaluation/depreciation calculation is nothing close to reality. yes, buying new takes a big hit, but 50%? a ha ha ha!

on another note- those used cars that are selling way high are primarily the Toyo Prius, and that is for 2 reasons- lesser reason, their excellent fuel economy. major reason- Toyo is not producing the numbers of those that are being demanded by the market, so price on used is up up up.

Buy low - sell high. That's the American way :)

Nobody likes to lose money; selling a bike for far less than you paid for it feels like a failure in some ways. Similarly, adding a bunch of high-dollar farkles, if you don't add something to the price for them, it feels like wasted money.

IMO farkles do add value to a bike, but not full price value. When I think about selling a bike, I usually start with about half of what the farkles cost new - and then, only the really important ones like aftermarket seats & shocks. If I put $1500 worth of Ohlins shocks on the bike I'm selling less than 10k miles ago, I'm definitely going to want to get something back on the sale for those - but not $1500. It's just not realistic.

When it's time to sell, like Paul said, I set a price that already contains a little wiggle room. When it's time to buy, I make an offer that I can come up a bit from. After all - you never know what the seller wants. If he's dead set on getting $5500 from his asking price of $7000, when I offer $6000, he's liable to take it - and we both walk away feeling good about the deal.

--chiba

FWIW... I have read that the added values of Farkles is about 30% of what you paid in a private sale; a dealer could care less..(and they will tell you that)

Take em' off and sell em before a trade in.

I agree, ask a fair price with little wiggle room, not some crazy asking price when selling...

..and bikes do depreciate but BMW's losing 40 to 50% instantly as was suggested... "Ain't happenin".

But, if you do see that good a price.. it is on Craigslist.. they want a Money Order, they will want to use "eBay Escrow service" to handle the transcation, they are on their way to Afghanistan and the bike is already crated in Oklahoma.. for a friend! :nyah:laugh

..and also their cousin in Nigeria wants to give you 10 million dollars for a little "help"

As far as Craigslist being a good place to investigate prices, that only indicates asking prices, not selling prices.

I find that Craigslist prices are usually pretty high. Sellers figure What's the harm in asking a high price in a free add? They aren't out anything if it doesn't sell, but if they list it enough times maybe they'll find a sucker.

That being said, sometimes there are good deals found on Craigslist, but they don't last long.
Also a Searchtempest.com user here.

FWIW... I have read that the added values of Farkles is about 30% of what you paid in a private sale; a dealer could care less..(and they will tell you that)

Not sure about the 30% number.

It's not only the dealers than can care less. A buyer might use added farkles as a tie breaker if two bikes are otherwise priced the same, but few will pay extra.

I now make my bikes as close to stock as I can before selling or trading them in. The farkles either get sold separately or moved to the new ride.

As far as Craigslist being a good place to investigate prices, that only indicates asking prices, not selling prices.

I find that Craigslist prices are usually pretty high. Sellers figure What's the harm in asking a high price in a free add? They aren't out anything if it doesn't sell, but if they list it enough times maybe they'll find a sucker.

That being said, sometimes there are good deals found on Craigslist, but they don't last long.
Also a Searchtempest.com user here.

Except they are out sometjing if it doesn't sell. Time. Presumably they didn't just wake up one day and think, "Oh, I think I'll sell my bike." Usually they have a reason. Want to buy a new(er) one. Need money. Some reason.

Assuming they want to sell the bike then using a tactic to ensure it won't sell is counterproductive.

Now if the spouse says "sell that bike" and the rider doesn't really want to, so fakes it, then that might be a reason for overpricing a bike.

Otherwise, it is wishful thinking or fishing for a sucker.

Buy New!!!

Always add at least 10% to the dealer price for TAXES!!!!!

Gotta pay to support Goverment Motors!!!!

I always buy used Cash Talks - BS walks!!!:nyah

Back