Thread: Airhead Friendly Shops: BMW or Independent

criminaldesign

Airhead Friendly Shops: BMW or Independent

Ill be heading to Alaska next month.

Playing it safe, what Airhead friendly shops, be it BMW or an independent garage, should I keep an eye out for if one happens to be needed?

Thanks. h

Planned route to get there:
    From Alaska
    :

Beemer Barn, Middleport NY
    Ambassador Emeritus BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    Niagara Riders
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS

Hey, there's an iPhone app listing Airhead shops

http://brainzai.com/?project=afs
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

criminaldesign
    Doh, should have checked ABC first.

They have just the thing I was looking for, a PDF list with contacts.

Thanks anyway. h

In Fairbanks the official BMW dealer, Trails End BMW / Harley Outpost, will work on Airheads. If it is something they are not sure about they will sometimes call in George Rahn the original owner of Trails End. George worked on Airheads and vintage Beemers for 50+ years. He still takes in some work at his home shop as well. There is also a newer shop called MME, but I cannot seem to find his contact number. There is also an active Airhead Club in town with some members that have shops, parts, knowledge and the desire to help. If you need help in town give me a call and I can direct you to a source of help, or at least commiserate with you over a beer. I'll PM my number.

I recommend that you visit the Alaska regional page over on Adventure Riders. That site is used by many Alaska riders. In addition to being a good source of advice about riding in Alaska and the Yukon, you can get help if you need it by posting there. It is a pretty friendly place to those who are friendly themselves.

In the Anchorage / MatSu Valley area there is an independent shop called the ABBY in Wasilla (you can see Russia from there). The owner is often on the Alaska page (Friar Mike). Also in Wasilla is a fellow named Kurt Schrieber who is a long time independent. Not sure how active he is these days in taking in new work.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Grand Rapids BMW

When you're around the Grand Rapids, MI area, Grand Rapids BMW has just had Oak give the techs a tutorial on Airheads. I plan on using them for the R80RT as needed.

HTH,
    Jer
    Jerry Palma
    99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 6); 97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night 'The Silver Knight';
    I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Thumbs up Good Single Source for Alaska Resources

Alaska Leather is in the progress of creating a Traveler's Page on their website. While it is under construction, it does have a lot to offer from m/c shops to eateries to people who will help in an emergency. Check it out...........

GO TO: http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/StoreFront

CLICK ON: "Traveler's Page" button
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador