• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1965 R69S Restoration; parts sourcing

bikerfish1100

Well, I am finally getting around to putting together a R69S that i bought as a rolling chassis and a number of boxes and milk crates filled with German metal and glass, sculpted in all varieties of useful and interesting shapes. Or, at the very least, putting more of it together than has been.
Frame, swingarm & forks fully disassembled, all powdercoated black. Along with a few other pieces. She obviously needs new bearings, all the way around. Would assume that wheel bearings should also be refreshed after sitting for, um well, its been "a while" since this bike ran. A long while. :bolt
So- Q1 is- what have ya'll found as best source for correct bearings? How viable is it to source them direct from a bearing supply facility? And yeah, i hope someone has correct corss referenced p/ns if the ansswer is "yes". ;)

tia, it is appreciated. (i searched this forum, came up nuttin)

Wheel bearings are 30204. Any 30204 from a reputable manufacture will do. No-name will cost about $6. Timkin will cost about $12. Something from at least one BMW dealer will cost $28.52.

I think I paid about $10 for FAG bearings last time I bought wheel bearings... that was quite a while ago, though.

Depends on the goal of the restoration

Getting the bearings and the other parts is a lot easier and less expensive these days than in the past when a very few suppliers felt the stuff was golden. If you don't have the tools or knowledge to install the bearings or the shims to set pre-load and stuff you may consider finding a reputable shop to rebuild your wheel hubs and return them to you looking (bead blasted) and working good as new. Its not rocket science by any means but if you don't have the right stuff to do it it could be more trouble than the savings are worth. I would go with a name brand and good quality bearing (Timkon) for wheel bearings, you got a lot riding on them ya know.

Parts

So- Q1 is- what have ya'll found as best source for correct bearings? How viable is it to source them direct from a bearing supply facility? And yeah, i hope someone has correct corss referenced p/ns if the ansswer is "yes". ;)

I do like Vetch and Bench Mark Works. http://www.benchmarkworks.com/

I have bought many parts from them for my R27. Also if you want advice you will get a long ways with them by calling them on Their phone number or email. Do not use the 800 number if you want to talk a while.

Also there is an online parts listing here for Blue Moon. http://www.bluemooncycle.com/downloads/Blue_Moon_Catalog.pdf

Hope this helps.............:bikes

Back