• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Mounting

bandman

I've been riding for years and years but never mounted my own tires. I want to start. I was looking at the aerostich bead breaker, tire aryns, and a Marc Parnes balancer. How difficult is it to break the bead and change a tire? Help. I'm pretty mechanical but have never done this. Any recommendations? I have both a
K1200LT and a K1200RS. With two bikes I figure I can save a little money with each tire change.

Myself & 3 buddies just popped for a full No-Mar Classic bundle. Ended up being $310 each. I figured that for my $310, if I have 2 sets of tires done at home vs. the dealer, I have made money. I paid $414 for the last set, tires, I can get online for $225 a set & save the 2 hour long trips to the dealer...

Greetings
I to have gotten tried of paying some one else to mount my tires. I bought tires on line at great deal over any local MC shop. Was looking into a tire machine. I stopped at the my local indepent car mechanic with the removed rim and the new tire. He did know but he would try. It took him 5 minute to remove and install the tire. I had him but in 2 oz of dynabeads (Not to start another thread). I was in and out in 10 minutes and the cost was $10 cash. I will have him mount all my tires from now on. He could also computer spin balance it if I wanted, no additional cost. No way could I do that has fast or easy with any home machine. (He changes 20 car tires a day)
So before buying the machine talk to your local indepent car mechanic. You still get to check out all the nuts and bolt on your bike you will just skip the rubber part (never fun).
tony

I have a No Mar set up and balancer. It has paid for itself already ( I go through a lot of tires, on 3 bikes). I can change tires quickly. A tire man with an pneumatic machine is 'faster', but if you consider the time for me to drive there, and back, I can beat that time on my own. Also, I can run my tires as far as I want and then pop a new set on at my schedule.

I'm quite pleased with the No Mar. Maybe 5 mins to remove the tire, and 10 mins to mount a new tire. I don't go really fast, just taking my time. Maybe another 5 mins to balance it.

Thing is, I don't want some ham fisted dork scratching my rims. If I am an idiot & do it myself, I have nobody else to blame & know who will pay for fixing it. I can change them on a Saturday night after a long day if I want. Plus, I get to own another cool tool!

I've been riding for years and years but never mounted my own tires. I want to start. I was looking at the aerostich bead breaker, tire aryns, and a Marc Parnes balancer. How difficult is it to break the bead and change a tire? Help. I'm pretty mechanical but have never done this. Any recommendations? I have both a
K1200LT and a K1200RS. With two bikes I figure I can save a little money with each tire change.

I have been doing my own for a few years with the tools you listed above. Nice thing about this setup it they take up very little space in your garage when not in use. Tire machines while more convenient require more storage space.

Only thing you may want to consider is getting a car rim that is a little smaller in diameter than your MC rims. Carefully cut through one side of a piece of hose to cover the bead area of the car rim. Now when you go to change tires place the MC rim on the protected bead of the car rim. This helps prevent damaging the brake rotor and or ABS ring on the LT.

Roy

Back