• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Western trip advice

W

WDaigle

The wife and I are planning a trip out west in mid-June to Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota. I went to the National in Wyoming and did some travelling around Wyoming and South Dakota but the wife did not go on that trip. any suggestions about places to go and things to see other than the obvious like Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, which are already on the agenda?

The Black Hills, Custer State Park, wildlife loop.

The Big Horn Mountains west of Buffalo and Sheridan; Ten Sleep Canyon, Shell Canyon on 14 and 14A.

Devils Tower Nat. Mon.

The Custer Battlefield on the Little Big Horn.

a few spots

Beartooth Pass from Red Lodge is a must; at least it's on my bucket-list of rides. It made the top of the AMA list if I recall correctly.

The south end of the Wind River Range in Wyoming has some great fishing in ponds and lakes you can hike to. Eastern Brook Trout were introduced and are like pirranhas. In that same area are remnants of the Oregon Trail near South Pass.

You can stop and fish (with license of course) in lots of spots towards Yellowstone. I caught some nice cutthroat trout and had a nice dinner.

Take your time and don't race though the area.

Harry

Lots of great stuff to see! Since Paul mentioned Little Big Horn, I will add that I found it very moving to visit that site and then Wounded Knee, in succession. You get a real feel for the history of this land by seeing both of those.
173160275_faNWq-M.jpg

Thanks Paul, Harry , and Rad. I visited many of the areas that you have suggested but not all and already have some of the others on our list. In 2008 I visited Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs, Jackson Hole, Cody, Devil's Tower, and Mt Rushmore. I rode through the Wind River area and it was beautiful. Paul, the Big Horn Mtns were fantastic as well as the Black Hills, Spearfish Canyon and Wounded Knee. I do plan to make Custer Park, Little Big Horn battlefield and Bear Tooth Pass and as many other areas as we can. Hope to make it up to Glacier NP and ride the Going to the Sun road but checked on the web site and it is still not completely plowed yet. We have reservations for camping in Yellowstone and also plan to spend a few days in Grand Teton NP camping. I would like some suggestions for some areas to ride and visit in Idaho. We would like to ride to Lolo Pass but don't relly have any other places on our list yet. Thanks for your input.

Read The Big Burn, by Timothy Egan. Excellent story of the 1910 fire that destroyed three million acres of timber, seven towns completely, and much of Wallace, Idaho. If you do the Lolo Pass, and you should, head north to Wallace. In town there is a bordello museum, reminding us of one of the mining town's most important enterprises. Several blocks of downtown are on the National Register as a historic district. Outside of town is the Pulaski Tunnel Trail. You can walk/hike two miles out to the mineshaft where Ed Pulaski had his firefighters hole up during the Big Burn while the fire went over them. All but six of his 45 man crew survived. Pulaski forced them to stay inside by pulling his pistol.

Further north is Lake Pend Oreille. Some pretty country and nice roads.You might consider heading back along the Cabinet Mountains.

Check out http://www.idahobyways.gov/

Read The Big Burn, by Timothy Egan. Excellent story of the 1910 fire that destroyed three million acres of timber, seven towns completely, and much of Wallace, Idaho. If you do the Lolo Pass, and you should, head north to Wallace. In town there is a bordello museum, reminding us of one of the mining town's most important enterprises. Several blocks of downtown are on the National Register as a historic district. Outside of town is the Pulaski Tunnel Trail. You can walk/hike two miles out to the mineshaft where Ed Pulaski had his firefighters hole up during the Big Burn while the fire went over them. All but six of his 45 man crew survived. Pulaski forced them to stay inside by pulling his pistol.

Further north is Lake Pend Oreille. Some pretty country and nice roads.You might consider heading back along the Cabinet Mountains.

Check out http://www.idahobyways.gov/

That's an excellent recommendation and and excellent book...

And, I'd mention that THE primary hand tool of forestry firefighters is named in honor of Ed Pulaski. I should know, I did a lot of ground pounding in the Sierras with a Pulaski in hand...

Hope Mr. Lagatour and wife have a great western adventure...frankly you should be prepared for major crowds in Yellowstone and the Tetons, but still worth a visit.

Cheers!

Back