• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hit hole in road, fall down, go boom, need advice.

OUCH! How 'bout broken bones on the bike? Can't always tell from the pix. Forks okay?

forks and frame seem ok. the rear subframe on these are not the strongest, so could possibly be tweaked. my dealer has an in-house expert on this model and you can be sure he'll give mine a close going over.

As to why this put you down I'm sure your front end pitched and dipped or the tire may have even skipped coming out of the hole which any combination of which can and did upset the whole apple cart as it were.
Heal fast.

thanks.

i felt the wheels leave the pavement and things go sideways from there. i just did not know i had hit a hole, so was caught out. i believe both front and rear wheels slid down the left side of the cone shape and as they bottomed out and slid up the right side of the cone the steering took a very solid tweak. i am really glad i didn't high-side. as it was, it became a semi over-the-bars (a** over applecarts) type of fall.

racing dirt and enduro bikes as a kid, i am no stranger to get-offs. but you usually know they're coming because you build up to them over the course of a couple of bumps.

the size and shape of this hole contributed to the crash, it was quick and violent but i was still able to tuck and roll somewhat... to the point where my Darien pants and Sidi boots were unscathed.

ian

It would be interesting to check for road maintenance reports with the authority that maintains that particular section of road to see if there have been other complaints. Up here after a long time of being dangerous they snap into action and put a traffic cone on it. :banghead Some months later they will repair it.
Heal fast man, Gary

thanks, Gary. I intend to provide this information and check into the road's maintenance history. it would be good if they actually do something on this.

on balance, the road maintenance in NC is fair. this was a mountain road cut into rock... and since it was in western NC, the state government out in the flatlands has historically short-sheeted us on these issues.

On GA180, we used to spray paint nasty things that will catch you out. maybe i will volunteer to do this on NC209.:nod

Dang, that sucks. Looks like the bike took it hard, and sounds like you smacked pretty hard yourself.

those core drills are used to determine the quality of the pavement. the ratio of asphalt to stones in the blacktop. the put them in a special furnace and burn off the petroleum products, while on a scale, and the weight difference gives the ratio of materials.

Dang, that sucks. Looks like the bike took it hard, and sounds like you smacked pretty hard yourself.

those core drills are used to determine the quality of the pavement. the ratio of asphalt to stones in the blacktop. the put them in a special furnace and burn off the petroleum products, while on a scale, and the weight difference gives the ratio of materials.

hey Gale.... *great* to see you here! :thumb

what you say is what i thought... the hole is just too symmetrical and smack in the middle of an otherwise smooth section of pavement.

thanks for this info.

ian

Sorry to hear this Ian. I'm in the BTDT group and can only tell you that soon you will be able to breathe, sleep, cough and laugh again. Hurts like hell in the meantime.

Holly
from the land of frost heaves and potholes

Glad you're able to write about it, Ian, and share your experience so others can learn from it.

Heal well, and I hope to see you in Bloomsburg.

Maybe it is an engineer cut hole. But I would also propose a shabby job of compacting subsurface before paving, with resultant sinking and erosion. Maybe something heavy fell out of a truck to get the hole going.
Our roads here have a lot of defects, even new ones. Local authorities and contractors have a nice cozy good ol boy relationship, so pretty much anything goes with no real consequences. Sloppy workmanship and cost overruns are the norm.
Like the idea of marking these sort of things with spray paint, but wonder if it is legal?

I noticed the same type round holes (here and there) in the asphalt just up the road on my way to work this am. They re-did this road just a number of years ago.... jeez.

It might have been a frost related problem. If you have silty soils under pavement, ice lenses tend to form in the winter. If an ice lens formed up close to the pavement (from water vapor pulled up to the bottom surface of the pavement layer and freezing in layers) then this ice lens could displace soil material and result in a round depressed area when it melted.

By the way, I used to do a lot of coring on roads to do pavement evaluations. Our crew would always fill in the core holes with cold patch.

The hole in the picture is not necessarily from a core drill. A core drill hole usually has a very well defined circular pattern. The hole in question looks old. There is also grass growing in it, which suggests it has been there quite a while.

Harry

The hole in question looks old. There is also grass growing in it, which suggests it has been there quite a while.

it has... i've been dodging it for years. just didn't see it this time. it's very hard to spot, especially in time to avoid it.

How well does that cold patch stick. Not very well?

I have seen this in Arkansas , the patch falls out, grass growing. If it would ever quit raining I could see some more.

I know I saw some in Missouri last year on some letter road off of highway 90.

And seen several more times in Arkansas.

Rod

i manage to miss it, too... except last time. :ha .... OW!

fwiw, it's smack in the middle of the best line.

ian

I am a real late apexer on the street, and use the whole lane, the white line is my friend, as it is far away from oncoming traffic. Looking at the pics, I am sure I went outside of it, but it still concerns me that I didn't recognize it.

Last edited:
Back