• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hit hole in road, fall down, go boom, need advice.

Visian

look out!!!
Does anyone know what might cause a road to have a hole like this in it?

NC209Crash2-XL.jpg

it *appears* to be a hole in the road that was taken like a core sample -- as if an engineer wanted to know the condition of the road bed beneath the pavement -- and then not properly refilled. As traffic passed over it, and perhaps erosion from rain occurred, the pavement surrounding it collapsed to make a conical depression about 12" in diameter and 6-8" deep.

it's really hard to see, and hard to see how deep it is, which is why I hit it while heeled over to the left and now have 5 ribs broken in 9 places. :cry

More pics here... ATTGATT works. :nod

Ian

OUCH! How 'bout broken bones on the bike? Can't always tell from the pix. Forks okay?

Yikes!! All things considered Ian it looks like you came out on the "better" end of it. Did the compression and rebound start the throw then the death wobble?
I don't know what caused that pothole in particular but have seen many like them. Freeze/thaw cycles will cause a fracture in the pavement allowing water to infiltrate the road base and with the hydraulic action of the vehicles the associated pressure "pumps" the roadway to create the pothole. This is much more prevalent in the travel lanes from 4-wheel vehicles. Once water is introduced it "shifts" the fines (sand the size of flour) and allows the roadway to give way. This can be seen real regular in my neck of the woods with catch-basin (man-hole) covers that have the appearance of sinking at the edge of the roadway. The sinking is accelerated at the catch-basins as the roadways are pitched for maximum flow to the CB's-roadway drainage.
It would be interesting to check for road maintenance reports with the authority that maintains that particular section of road to see if there have been other complaints. Up here after a long time of being dangerous they snap into action and put a traffic cone on it. :banghead Some months later they will repair it.
Heal fast man, Gary

Aren't broken ribs wonderful? There's always some brilliant individual who tries to cheer you up with a joke, just to make you laugh. Coughing is a thrill, and don't even think about sneezing.

Seriously, I hope you heal up fine. There are times where I can still feel things move around and creak. Maybe you'll be well enough to share some cigars and scotch in PA.

Judging by the other side of the road from where you crashed there are erosion problems. I would have an attorney involved getting compensation. I would say thats small sink hole which can be caused by any number of things. If it were just that hole I would say it's a fluke but when I can see more erosion in the same picture theres a problem. The edge of the road in the opposite lane is caving in from similar erosion.

Sorry to hear, but I hope you IMMEDIATELY called the highway department in charge, by phone and email advising of the hazard. I would hate to see someone killed

Hope you heal quick. I am not sure where it happened, but if it was reported previously, and not fixed there is a liability on the municipality, for not fixing a known hazard.

See if there were police reports from the other accidents too, that might tell you if there was knowlege that was ignored by the highway department. .

+1 on leesrt's comment. It appears to be erosion of the underlying road bed that has resulted in a sink hole beginning that in turn caught you up. Lack of annual maintenance and a significant remedial repair to that stretch of road is my guess for the culprit.

One road in Arkansas has many such holes. It is a letter road somewhere south of Fayetteville, I stopped to look at one and it was obviously intentionally drilled. Why I will never know.

Heal well.

Rod

OUCH.....I've done six water skiing so I know you have to be hurting. Trying to sleep is fun isn't it! Speedy recovery Visian. Six months you"ll be good as new

Broken bike and broken ribs - BTDT - and it sux. But, ribs heal and bikes can be fixed or replaced. However, I think you are onto something with going after the local agency responsible for maintaining that road. It is going to put another rider down if it's not fixed. Heal fast, my friend!:thumb

Mend Fast Ian . . .

Sorry about your misfortune. Looks like a lot of damage to bike/rider. In these days you probably will have difficulty with culpability. Too bad you couldn't locate other motorists who also had damage.
I hope you're OK
Campbell Tellman
:thumb

i will definitely report this to the proper authorities.... i was very surprised that this put me down.

ian

Happens when you least expect it. As prepared as you were (dressed for the ride) maintaining surface awareness while looking through the corner is not easy. As to why this put you down I'm sure your front end pitched and dipped or the tire may have even skipped coming out of the hole which any combination of which can and did upset the whole apple cart as it were.
Heal fast.

Back