• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Krauser Mounts Install

dennisdarrow

#4869 Earned Lifetime mem
Just acquired some Krauser mounts and bags for my 1975 R90/6. A little bit of guidance and answers to a couple of questions would be welcomed.

Have done a lot of research on mounting techniques but NOT a lot of specifics soooooo:

These are the round chrome style racks without a luggage rack.

1. Does the rear mount directly to the tubular tab/bracket above the brake light using a 2" or so bolt? Or does one use a spacer of some kind?

2. Does the shock mount tab go on the outside of the frame or inside between the shock eye and the frame.

3. I assume you pull/install one shock bolt side at a time so the other will hold up the frame/bike...........?????????

The bags have the seat belt type latches and I have no key. I saw in other posts about getting in touch with Krauser themselves or a couple of locksmith type folks to get new keys. Can one still get the newer style of latches for the bag and the mounts themselves?...........Where?.......

Thanks for the help guys............God bless......Dennis

Even without the rear rack there are several slighltly different design of the type mount you reference. I've got 3 or 4 different sets I've accumulated over the years. I generally use stainless steel bolts to avoid corrosion. I go to a hardware store with a big selection of bolt hardware, and I try to use metric when possible. 1. Use a shoulder bolt here. Metric or standard. You want the sholder of the bolt to fill this area as completely as possible. Too small and the bolt will move around. 2. Several different designs here. If the top of the rack curves back it mounts to the inside of the frame. The shock takes all the area in the shock mount slot. You will most likely need longer bolt here. 3. Use your center stand or jack to hold up bike. Get every thing mounted and in the proper location then tighten everything up. Hope some of this helps.

Thanks for the help Barry........Sometimes all one needs is a bit of a confirmation that one is on the right track........Got them installed just fine with your thoughts.

Now, still wondering about new parts and pieces. Specifically keys for sure; but possibly locks and trim pieces? I see that Krauser themselves have them. Is that pretty much the only solution?

Now wondering also about the straps one uses to hold the bags on and how to attach them to the mounts. Research indicates many paths to follow as far as the straps themselves but little guidance on WHERE to actually place the straps. Am inclined to just use the rubber straps that are readily available; but am open for pretty much any direction.

Thanks for the help and consideration.......God bless......Dennis

If you have a luggage company around, one that repairs high end luggage; I bet they have a key expert and can get a key to work for you. I've done this before. These keys are very simple in shape and design. I think maybe 3 or variations fit all the bags. Or go to a locksmith, I bet they can make some up some pretty quick for you.

Go to the Garage forum then resourses and links. Look under parts and find keys. There is an online catalog as one of their threads. You will see Sudhaus. They show pictures of their luggage keys. One of those probably fits your Krauser saddle bag.

KEYS: Search is our friend...
icon_wink.gif

KEYS: Search is our friend...
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the thought....seems this that what you sent is for finding ignition/fork keys, not Krauser keys......YES, I totally agree that search is my friend and that is what I did BEFORE I asked anything in the original post.......

Thanks guys for all the help, I have them installed now with the advice of Barry, above and got a reply from Krauser for $20 I can have keys from them.......I still wonder about other parts and where to get them.

Currently am searching for what kind of straps to use and the placement......LOTS of stuff about what kind of straps but not much on placement......Advice here would be appreciated.......Thanks again for the help........God bless.....Dennis

R90/6 Krauser bag mounts

I have a 76 R 90/6. The person who sold it also supplied bag mounts....that ABSOLUTELY not work. I have been trying to find proper mounts but this has been very time consuming and frustrating. Please help, Rileous

Straps for your Krausers

Just acquired some Krauser mounts and bags for my 1975 R90/6. A little bit of guidance and answers to a couple of questions would be welcomed.

Have done a lot of research on mounting techniques but NOT a lot of specifics soooooo:

These are the round chrome style racks without a luggage rack.

1. Does the rear mount directly to the tubular tab/bracket above the brake light using a 2" or so bolt? Or does one use a spacer of some kind?

2. Does the shock mount tab go on the outside of the frame or inside between the shock eye and the frame.

3. I assume you pull/install one shock bolt side at a time so the other will hold up the frame/bike...........?????????

The bags have the seat belt type latches and I have no key. I saw in other posts about getting in touch with Krauser themselves or a couple of locksmith type folks to get new keys. Can one still get the newer style of latches for the bag and the mounts themselves?...........Where?.......

Thanks for the help guys............God bless......Dennis

Go to airheads.org (this is a chartered club dedicated to airheads). Click on AirBazaar, then Airstore. You'll find a set of straps that are for luggage-I have a set and think they are great ($20.00 for a pair as I remember).

I highly recommend joining the Airheads group if you don't already belong. Lots of information available much like on this forum. Have tech days scattered around the country to fellowship, learn and work on airheads.

Back