• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Really basic wiring question

sheridesabeemer

I Used to Be Someone
I cannibalized the battery harness for my Gerbings off my K12GT.
It was connected directly to the battery terminals and has an inline 15amp fuse.

5728646752_69525cbb85_z.jpg

Under the seat of my new to me 05 R12GS is this power stuff (probably has another name huh?)
5728096659_e80b73fc83_z.jpg

I don't really know how to connect the Gerbings wires to what I have.
I don't get where the positive and negative should go, and can I even use the inline fuse harness on this gizmo.

Help, I don't want to screw things up!

Gail,

Connect the wire with the red on it to the phillips head screw by one of the slots that doesn't have a fuse and connect the all black wire to a good ground. Insert a 10 amp fuse in the slot where you connect the red marked wire.

Or - since the harness already has a fuse you could connect it directly to the battery. But then you have a stray fuse at a different location.

If you hook it to the fuse box as in my post 2 put a fuse at least as heavy in the harness as in the fuse box so that if a fuse blows it will blow in the easy to get to fuse box first. If I had a 10 amp in the fuse box I would put a 15 in the black box on the harness.

Or - since the harness already has a fuse you could connect it directly to the battery. But then you have a stray fuse at a different location.

If you hook it to the fuse box as in my post 2 put a fuse at least as heavy in the harness as in the fuse box so that if a fuse blows it will blow in the easy to get to fuse box first. If I had a 10 amp in the fuse box I would put a 15 in the black box on the harness.

You may only need a 7.5 amp in the fuse box. If so put a 10 in the harness.

You may only need a 7.5 amp in the fuse box. If so put a 10 in the harness.

Why not put a 30 in the inline fuse and a 15 on the block. This way the 15 will always go first leaving little or no reason to fiddle w/ the inline. That is, short of cutting the inline out physically.

the loops on the Gerbing harness were too big to put on the side. So I put them on the ends of the pack. The inline fuse, rests comfortably outside the box.

The wires of one of the other aux parts were jammed into the tail, and in the way of the seat release mechanism. I cleaned up the routing for that.

I also saw wear on the wire bundle coming off of the battery. I clipped the green tie to allow the wires to be lower than the seat bar hook...the seat had been chaffing the main battery wire.

I plugged in the heat control and the light came on. Let there be warmth.
thank you for the help!! I learned a few things.

If I understand correctly, you have effectively mounted the Gerbing pigtail to the battery, and you need to make sure you put the right sized fuse in your inline fuse holder.

Good move on noticing the wear on the wire and adjusting it down. Otherwise you might have eventually had a heated seat... for a brief moment.

If I understand correctly, you have effectively mounted the Gerbing pigtail to the battery, and you need to make sure you put the right sized fuse in your inline fuse holder.

Good move on noticing the wear on the wire and adjusting it down. Otherwise you might have eventually had a heated seat... for a brief moment.

the inline fuse is fine, as this harness was working properly on the GT.

Gail, you could also go down to the auto parts store & buy some ring terminals & a crimper & some shrink tube. Then you could make a real professional installation. What you did would work, but isn't quite as clean.

Gail, you could also go down to the auto parts store & buy some ring terminals & a crimper & some shrink tube. .

I could buy all those things...and they'd sit in a bag for a long time...:doh
I have an aptitude for a lot of things...this isn't one of those things. ;)

Back