Thread: Question About RTP Oil Cooler Fan on a R1150RT

Slow & Easy

Question About RTP Oil Cooler Fan on a R1150RT

Does the BMW fan move enough air to cool the oil down on a really hot day??? I have seen 6 bars( I know thats OK) of oil temperature but, will the BMW fan actually cool the oil down to 5 bars on a 100+F hot day at idle??? The reason I'm asking is I might use another fan with more air flow. I don't have a RTP bike so this is a personal add.

Thanks

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    I could relate a story from last summer, but to keep it short, yes, they do work.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Unless you'd want to keep the bike running idle for extended time on a really hot day (like the police do) I don't feel the fan is necessary. I was in Morocco at sahara temperatures (45 celsius) and I got 6 bars but 0 problems. We weren't running very fast because of the bad road/terrain, so it didn't get very much wind. Just keep it moving or turn it off if you plan to be stationary for 10 minutes.
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

Slow & Easy
    Thanks for the responses. I thought I had found the fan and mounting on EBAY in good or rebuildable condition. Got it in yesterday and it was unuseable. Fortunately the seller was honest and refunded my money including shipping. The fan is just a farkle for my RT. It would have been manual control Vs. the factory since the RTA doesn't have the output off the Motronic for the cooler control that your RTP came with.

I'll keep looking for one.

Thanks Agn

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Faria View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I thought I had found the fan and mounting on EBAY in good or rebuildable condition. Got it in yesterday and it was unuseable. Fortunately the seller was honest and refunded my money including shipping. The fan is just a farkle for my RT. It would have been manual control Vs. the factory since the RTA doesn't have the output off the Motronic for the cooler control that your RTP came with.

I'll keep looking for one.

Thanks Agn
    Maybe buy a decent 12VDC CPU or electronic rack cooling fan and just wire up a simple switch - relay - fan circuit. Unless you live in Death Valley I doubt you will really need it though. The RTP bikes are purpose built to idle in hot weather and 99% of us just don't do that.
    The US border line up is my worst heat problem and I just turn my engine off and pedal the bike forward or if I can't make the incline I wait for 4 or 5 cars to advance, fire it up, move forward and shut down again. Other than that I've never seen the need for a fan on an RT.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Bryan
    I have been wondering if there was a fan option for the RT? Never got around to inquiring. In most circumstances, even in our 100 plus temps here in Texas, usually don't see my bars go up all the way to worry about it.

However, my wife and I were attending an airshow one day and got stuck in line waiting to park. Temps were probably in the 90's at least, maybe close to 100 that day.

I got really nervous watching those bars top all the way up while stuck idling in line. Finally just pulled the bike over and had to let it sit for awhile.

Haven't had that happen again, maybe close in Yellowstone stuck behind all the bear watchers a year later

Bryan
    2004 RT

Slow & Easy
    I know the fan is really not needed. I'm retired and it's somthing interesting to do on a rainy day. In one of my earlier posts I mentioned the fan/oil cooler I bought on an EBAY purchase was broken. I found a replacement fan on EBAY. I bought it for $10 + $10 shipping. The fan was off a 2004 K1200RS. It looks new. The broken ebay oil cooler shroud I fixed with JB weld using coat hanger wire for reinforcement. The fan support frame I bought new from BMW the EBAY frame was just to broken up. The JB weld is good stuff. It is sandable and paintable. You can't tell the shroud was even broken unless you're looking for it. I have the handle bar switches off a wrecked RTP. I plan to connect by a new fused relay I will install and connect to the load relief relay circuit in the fuse box. The Ebay seller refunded all my money including shipping. He didn't realized how bad the parts were.

BMW retail cost for these part is: Fan $243, Main Oil cooler Shroud $123, Fan Support $31.

I also plan to fuse some unprotected circuits others have mentioned while I've got the wiring box open.

It will probably be 2 -3 days work.