Thread: Windshield?

We live in a rustic cabin in Maine though our residence is in NH.

Windshield?

I am thinking about a windshield for my 07 F650GS and would like some suggestions. I am 5'6" tall and want to look over the windshield but keep the wind going over my head as I don't like to put my face shield down. I do wear good protective prescription glasses.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just got the Thumper and am sooo happy with it.

06 R1200RT
    07 F650GS

I have tried 3
    Cee Baileys, Ermax and Britannia Composites fairing and screen.
    all have worked in different ways, my favorite is the Ermax at $105.00 it offers great protection for me at 5"4"
    The britannia fairing /screen is new to me and I am awaiting a larger screen which is in development. If you will run a GPS it has dash space to accomadate one.
    Cal

Registered User BetterLateThanNever's Avatar
    Been testing some wind screens myself of late...

I've had some experience with Cee Bailey (20" I think), Ztechnik VStream Tall Touring Screen and the Wunderlich High Ergo Screen. I'm 5'10" and for me the Cee Bailey was OK though still got some air on the body/head. The Ztechnik probably provides the most protection to the point where you get less ventilation through helmet (w/ visor closed) and through jacket too. Nice for long days at high speed though. Currently testing the Wunderlich which seems a bit more like the Cee Bailey in terms of protection... haven't done a long highway stretch yet, so can't fully comment.

The Cee Bailey and Ztechnik slope back towards the rider much more than the Wunderlich, which probably makes the Wunderlich better for off-road style standing on the pegs. I actually broke my Cee Bailey in a big off while riding some rough trails (oops), not sure the others would have fared better, but the Ztechnik looks to be the heaviest duty material of the three.

I had to modify the Wunderlich slightly (which was annoying as it was the most expensive of the three) by trimming off the portion that bolts onto the side panel, but it still appears quite stable and I like how it is more upright.

All three seem to push the strongest airflow above my head and the peak of my helmet, so no whistling! Being a bit shorter you might want to go with a shorter Ztechnik, I think it would give you the most protection for riding with the visor up...

http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/zte...h_model=bm-077
    http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/zte...h_model=bm-077

Just my 2?...
    Michael
    2009 G650GS

I have tried stock, Parabellum, Cee Bailey, Wunderlich, and Ermax.

The best shield I loved out of all the above has been the Ermax...

Thanks, This gives me some real possibilities. Guess I will just have to bite the bullet and get one, I have been concerned about the backward slant I have seen on some and this being a problem for off roading. Having the electric shield on the RT has me spoiled.

Registered User BetterLateThanNever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillZeller View Post
    ...I have been concerned about the backward slant I have seen on some and this being a problem for off roading...
    Yes, this seems problematic... as I mentioned before I actually broke a windscreen while offroading... I didn't go over the handle bars but still impacted the top of the screen, which was enough to shear it down by the mounts. Maybe any screen would have been a problem there... I had intended to remove the screen but forgot on the day... oops.

And of course that's the other approach, to remove the screen on days when you know it could be an issue. Obviously going back and forth between highway and off-road it can be inconvenient to be removing/installing the screen, but I will probably do this in the future, assuming I'm not too brain-dead to remember!
    Michael
    2009 G650GS

I have broken 2 Cee Baileys. One in a good off road crash. The other when the bike tipped over off it's center stand when the mud got too soft.

I am looking for a stronger one. Or I need to stop crashing!
    Larie
    Reno-Tahoe, NV
    '07 R1200RT, '09 F800GS

Less crashing would be good Larie, good luck with that.

Well, I did order a Wunderlich and expect it next week, I just like something to break the wind, it sure makes a big difference especially on long rides on pavement.

Bill

I bought my 2006 F650GS thumper with a Cee-Bailey already installed. I wasn't satisfied because it sloped back too much and I got quite a bit of buffiting. ( I'm 5'11"). The Wunderlich High Ergo Screen has worked much better for me.
    Al - Ogden, Utah
    Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
    2004 1150RT and 2018 Triumph Tiger 800xrx

The Wunderlich came and i put it on the same day and went for aride. What an incredible difference!! It doesn't slope back so shouldn't be problem off road. I am 5'6" and it sends the wind well over my head/helmet and I still get a nice breeze around the side to keep me cool without the 50+ MPH blast to my chest and head. I am very happy with the decision!

2006 R1200RT
    2007 F650GS

Which Wunderlich screen did you get ?
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Mark II
    I know its a bit late, but I went through this about a year ago. If you haven't already seen it, check the following:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=44625

Ace,

Sorry for the late reply but I got the short Wunderlich which is just right for me at 5'6".

Bill