• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS, phone and Sena Bluetooth

J

Jack D

I have the SENA SMH10 bluetooth headsets, a Garmin Nuvi 756T with Bluetooth and a cellphone with Bluetooth. I have the Garmin paired to the headsets as an audio device. I hear the GPS and the internal MP3 player in the headsets. I can pair the phone to the GPS as a hands free device. I can call up the phone's phonebook on the GPS and dial through the GPS. If I search on the GPS for a restaurant or a hotel I can have it tell the phone to dial their number. But the audio for the phone plays through the GPS speaker and is not forwarded through the Bluetooth connection to the headsets and the same is true of the microphone. Does anyone know if the Zumo series, or any other GPS, will allow me to dial through the GPS but talk and listen therough the Bluetooth headset? I never thought I would want to use the phone while riding but I have found situations where it would be very convenient such as calling multiple motels for availability and pricing before arriving or to verify that the motel or restaurant is still in business as the data in the GPS is not current even with the newest maps.

I think you meant to say a 765T. I am having a similar issue with both the 765T and the Zumo 660. When using the Garmin as a 'hub', the phone audio will not play through the Bluetooth headset. I am using a Samsung Rogue phone and a J&M Bluetooth. I thought it was the phone. But if you are having the same issue, it might be the Garmin(s) after all. Time to do more research on the Garmin site. Another interesting aspect is the J&M will pair simultaneously with the 765T and the Rogue but will only allow either the Zumo or the Rogue, not both. Will do more testing today and report back.

Research and testing complete. The Rogue is not compatible with the Garmin(s). Here is the interesting part, I can pair both my 765T and Rogue to the J&M at the same time. I can hit the button on the J&M and the 765T will disengage and the phone come on in voice command mode. I can dial that way, to make a call. I can receive calls. I really like being able to call out by just hitting the button on the J&M. Don't need the Garmin 'hub' feature. But, I cannot get the Zumo and the J&M to pair up at the same time. I either have one or the other.

You never said what cell phone you are using. Might want to check the Garmin site for compatibility.

I have a Samsung Rogue as well, SENA SMH10 and Zumo 660. I have issues with the my phone, all the complaints you have work great on mine.. BTW, Samsung Rogue (sch-u960) with the newest 660 4.2 firmware upgrade is now not a phone listed on Garmins' "compatibility list. ;-(

People call me, they can hear me clear as can be.. Ican't hear them... wroked before on 4.1 firmware.. Garmin engineer told me 4.2 firmware casue my phone to be somewhat incompatible... Shizzle.

research and testing complete. The rogue is not compatible with the garmin(s). Here is the interesting part, i can pair both my 765t and rogue to the j&m at the same time. I can hit the button on the j&m and the 765t will disengage and the phone come on in voice command mode. I can dial that way, to make a call. I can receive calls. I really like being able to call out by just hitting the button on the j&m. Don't need the garmin 'hub' feature. But, i cannot get the zumo and the j&m to pair up at the same time. I either have one or the other.

You never said what cell phone you are using. Might want to check the garmin site for compatibility.

+1

Yep, that is the issue with the Rogue to/from Garmin (Zumo and 765T). They can hear me, I can't hear them. Just verified both Garmins are up to date.

Bluetooth Testing - I'm Done

After two years of being thoroughly elated with my J&M Bluetooth rig, my Samsung Rogue phone and my Garmin 765T (now obsolete) I am totally bummed. The aforementioned rig worked flawlessly. The J&M acted as a hub with the phone and the 765T paired up, in parallel. The phone was dominant over the 765. I listened to music, got my directions, and could receive calls with auto answer and make calls using voice commands. Not that I made or received more than 3 each during that time, it was just cool that I could. Then, I upgraded to the Zumo 660. There is something strange going on. With the Zumo, I can have either it or the Rogue paired up to the J&M, but not both. The software in all is the "latest and greatest"? :doh Options are to spend more money on a Zumo compatible phone, shift to a wired system (both of which will be somewhat expensive) or just keep the stuff I have and use what is needed/desired when it is needed/desired. The real lesson to be learned here, at least for me, is that while technology is a wonderful thing, all Bluetooth is not equal. While some are compatible, some are not. And, if I ever need a phone and Garmin at the same time, the obsolete rig is always available. Not so bummed after all.

I have used a Sena SMH10 for about 1 year. After testing the bluetooth phone capability, I decided to un-pair it and don't plan to use it for that purpose. I have it paired to a bluetooth MP3 player and for that purpose, it works quite nicely.

If I'm riding with my buddy who also has a Sena, we'll pair them before a ride and chat a little but that's really all I need it to do. It's capable of much more but talking on the phone or trying to manage a call while riding is not for me. I prefer the conversations in my own head while riding ...:brow

Back