• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

got the R90 out in the sun

Looks good from here. I suspect it will look good going down the road too. The lower top may allow a tank bag that does not interfere with the kill switch. Don't lose heart, spring is here, soon the warm weather will follow and bugs will die.

Sashweet 898.

You going to do a BSA Victor-esque kinda detail on the tank, or buff out the whole thing?

bsa-victor-441-special-1-2282.jpg

Wish I had that Beesa, what a Beauty.
Not to hijack this thread, but a friend of mine rode one of those in the 60s. You could tell his tire tracks from mine in the soft sand of Northern Michigan. My tracks were smooth with trials universal tires, his tire tracks were scuffed, then smooth, then scuffed again. Each scuff was on a power stroke. I once tried to start his bike with tennis shoes. It kicked back so hard I could hardly walk. That said, I too would love to have one.

Now, back to the R90.

Wayne

I actually get weak in the knees just dreaming about kicking a brit bike over, and then pushing my buddy down the driveway. But that single scrambler, with an aluminum tank no less, really gets my mind ticking.

I worked at the Three Guys Marine & Motor Sales Company in Columbus, Indiana the summers of 1968 and 1969; I was 17. 3 Guys sold Glaspar and Steury boats, Mercury outboards and Honda and BSA motorcycles. Besides installing trailer hitches, and sweeping the parking lot, it was my job to uncrate the bikes and set them up.

It was like working in a Candy Shop.. ...

The biggest bike Honda built at the time was the CB450... aka, The Black Bomber (try to buy one of these today...)

BlackBomber1Cobbed.jpg

Thunderbolt
bsa-new-05x.jpg

Lightning 650
BSA-20A65-20Lighting-2068-20-201_2.jpg

Royal Star.
12126.jpg

898 -

Not sure why you had problems with the upload. Your picture is quite small...the forum software lets you have a picture up to 156Kb big (yours is 36Kb) and 800 lines wide (yours is 600) and 1000 lines high (yours is 500). One thing that would help is the quality of the picture. The software that I use (Irfanview) let's me control the lines and the quality independently. So you could select that you want an 800x600 picture and then keep working with the quality so that the final size is in the neighborhood of 150-160Kb. The picture would have been better all the way around.

I did some experimenting with uploads and it will take a wide range of pictures...here's my experiment:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?68796-Posting-Photo-Problem&p=879726&viewfull=1#post879726

I really don't find there to be any real issues with the picture upload capability. :dunno

898... what a great project! It turned out perfectly.

I'll walk you through the image posting protocol if you like. Much easier than what you just fabricated.

Always uploaded huge photos and everything was copathestic. Since the changes don't know how to screw around with computor or whatever.

I think we got used to that "feature"! Actually, I think that might have been something of a bug which was not corrected with the forum upgrade to the latest vBulletin. Lew or I can help out...as he suggested, it easy and you won't even have finished that first beer and you'll be an expert at sizing pictures!!

Hats off to you sir for tackling the sheet metal....lots of thinking ahead when working with the stuff. Looks great. 898, that sounds like one of the old Mohawk (OV-1) tail numbers....any way great job sir!

Might have enough to make a zoomy frame mounted fairing next winter, with a brass headlight wire cover.

'98 yer not goin' steampunk on us ... are ya?
brow.gif

yie0g.jpg

OwlsHead2012SteamPunkBMW3.jpg

OwlsHead2012SteamPunkBMW2.jpg

OwlsHead2012SteamPunkBMW.jpg

OV/1 - gorgeousmous aircraft, in it's own Grumman-dy way. It always reminded me of a salvaged UH-1 with wings, flying in close formation with a Connie.
09.gif

FOR THE RECORD '98... I love that tank and especially the rear view ... the weld seams and rivet are great. If you could make another one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd have to put a second on the ranch, but it'd be worth every Pfennig.

Also for the record ... I didn't take those shots, I grabbed them off the net. AND, I should have grabbed the builder's name. I'll see if I can conjure up the website again.

Found it -> http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1534038

"Steam Paul" is all there was. Too bad, a really creative guy. BTW, there's some other nice iron on that website, check it out.

OV/1 - gorgeousmous aircraft, in it's own Grumman-dy way. It always reminded me of a salvaged UH-1 with wings, flying in close formation with a Connie.
09.gif
[/QUOTE]

Nice pics, still trying to identify what the parts are, I think its a 750cc or greater, aaa lets see who can identify year and mods :D. The Ov-1 grows on ya eventually, but they're not in service anymore, out since 96', still a few in Argentina though....ugly but tough.

Your avatar's pretty small Glen ... but I do believe I see a Mohawk lurking over your shoulder(s).

Indeed it is, Myrtle Beach 93, Ferry flight from Weisbaden Germany, it took us two weeks....lots of beer, and other unscrupulous....... ahmmmmm....official activity:laugh we were sucking the o2 tanks empty on every flight:drink

Changed out the Accell/Andrews to Dyna/Dyna just for fun. Also tuning intake plugging 9/16ths holes as I go. Too loose, makes incredible intake roar, which is fun, but gets too much attention to be enjoyable. Still getting a kinda skip or hiccup as carbs transition through mid range to WOT. Gonna play with moving down the mains from 155. Always ran way to rich anywho.

Attachments

• P1010954.JPG
    P1010954.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 53
Also, finally installed 100 amp continuous master ground switch. Always wanted to do it. Seems to work, maybe it won't? Time will tell.

Attachments

• P1010957.jpg
    P1010957.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 52
Really a great example of the ingenuity, knowledge, and craftsmanship that God has given you........ Fantastic example of the function follows form school of design......Dennis

Back