• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

can we go deeper on Dyna Beads and balancing?

Traditional tire balancing is a fairly labor intensive process--that means it's expensive.

If General Motors/Ford/Chrysler/Toyota/BMW/Mercedes/VW/Porsche/etc. could save some production expense by throwing in a few beads, they'd do it, don't you think?

They'd do it if it worked, that is.

You must know my grandfather.

Im guessing that it might take a while to get enough of them through that tiny little hole in the valve stem...

I know this will come as a surprise to you & others, but the same valve cores fit in a tube as a tubeless valve stem.:thumb
FWIW, you lay on a creeper, push the clear tubing onto the stem, invert the bottle of magic beads & gently pour them & if the get too friendly with each other your pouring too fast or it's another "static cling day" to deal with! I gently tap the tubing with a small punch or screwdriver while sipping a cold one. My estimate is around 30 seconds to a minute.:thumb
I really like these bead threads cause I can avoid scientific facts via the magical aura of the beads @ work, thus avoiding any need to quote a scientific source.:)
Now, I wish my help would show up!:banghead

Traditional tire balancing is a fairly labor intensive process--that means it's expensive.

If General Motors/Ford/Chrysler/Toyota/BMW/Mercedes/VW/Porsche/etc. could save some production expense by throwing in a few beads, they'd do it, don't you think?

They'd do it if it worked, that is.
The OEM vehicle mfg's are the ones that set the tire mfg's out of balance standard for OEM tires & is lower than other, i.e., aftermarket tires when I worked in the industry. You might have a point other than the fact that mfg's often don't always make commonsense choices.Another factor is they are stated to not work properly in low profile tires like many modern vehicles.
A thought:
Subaru was the 1st mfg to get away from lead weights when there was plenty of reason to do so way before they made that move.read up on lead wheel weights in the environment,etc.. I'm curious just how many are using lead weights now if many,some or none? As I recall, Dyna beads advertises that some truck lines use their beads.Are they smarter than your auto guys or stupid to use them? Maybe car mfg's don't believe in magic?:D

I'm willing to bet that wheels with Dyna Beads are not as well balanced as my wheels with weights.

I should know. I built my own wheel balancer and I know its capability.

quick bead install option

Here's your lullaby on beads: They are cheap(I have a huge bag for $20-call it a lifetime supply) and can be installed easily/quickly & reused(mine get black but not lumped or unusable), can be installed/reinstalled at my house-not some remote dealer/shop on their time schedule and me paying for something that falls off or fails to correct the constantly changing balance dynamic(carrying weights around doesn't fix a constantly changing tire weight!) & they don't pollute the environment. I dare you to read up on the amount of wheel weights that enter the roadway! And another tidbit: after 1,000's of miles they are happily kicking around in there doing the job...:lurk
Honestly the hardest part is the tapping the install tubing with a screwdriver as they try to cling to their buddies before entering their black tire prison. Static cling makes for a slow but lazy few minutes.
I did a quick search on OEM wheel balance/runout specs but failed to get to the heart of it. I would think that in practice a "good but used" wheel is more likely to have runout than out of balance, but thats a guess. Tires being handmade circles are the seemingly imperfect aspect of that senario and given that they wear unevenly become more out of spec. Unless bent a wheel is true and a constant.:lurk Oh, and it's raining here again for the , well, I've lost count # of days...
I use the vibrator action of my electric tool-marking scribe against the hose between the bottle & valve stem, swirls right in...
bmwdew

Back