• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

can we go deeper on Dyna Beads and balancing?

OH,

Bingo !!

"with the exception that most spinning things have a critical speed ( whole nother animal that is )." Quote

All spinning things have a critical speed to one extent or another. What happens at a critical speed - it vibrates/ shakes. Vibration node points How this applies to tires is what if a vibration node point occurs at a speed at which we like to cruise, say 75mph. With dynamic balancing we can minimize these critical speeds (vibration node points) and move them out of our operating speed range.

Bokrijder

Are Carpenter Bees & Bumblebees related?The former eat my house and the latter sting big time! I am one of the fools that uses them and find them easy to capture using an old hillbilly trick(I didn't know indians wore panty hose?) that includes dismounting the tire and dumping them on a newspaper,etc.. No, I don't wash or clean them either, simply reweigh them and place back in the tire. I bought a bunch on an Advrider group buy and keep to the 1 oz fron/2 oz rear amt.. I have a electronic scale I bought new on ebay for 99 cents that goes up tp 76# and weighs to the tenth of an oz!!! It weighs the same as my local USPS scale.
I have placed them in maybe 6 sets of tires and get better than most mileages. As to the valve thing-a blast of air prevents that problem as does simply having the valve at above bottom road position. Whatever the little buggers do in there it works for me.

I like your "no lead" solution! Who'd have ever thought of balancing your tires using Carpenter Bees and Bumblebees? Do you use live or dead ones? :stick

:dance:dance:dance

The main advantage for dynamic (spinning) balance on cars is that the machine detects inside-outside imbalance which can't be done with static balancing. The wider the wheell the more important this is. You would notice that usually the weights on the outside (hubcap side) of a car tire don't line up with the weights on the inside (axle side).

Most motorcycle tires (fat billy bob extravaganzas excepted) are narrow compared to car tires and the inside/outside differentiation seldom happens.

In fact, I like to balance my wheels without a tire and mark those weights so they stay on the wheel. Then when I mount a new tire I almost never need to use another weight.

The main advantage for dynamic (spinning) balance on cars is that the machine detects inside-outside imbalance which can't be done with static balancing. The wider the wheell the more important this is. You would notice that usually the weights on the outside (hubcap side) of a car tire don't line up with the weights on the inside (axle side).

Most motorcycle tires (fat billy bob extravaganzas excepted) are narrow compared to car tires and the inside/outside differentiation seldom happens.

In fact, I like to balance my wheels without a tire and mark those weights so they stay on the wheel. Then when I mount a new tire I almost never need to use another weight.

I can't say I have ever had a tire out of balance. Sometimes I balance static, sometimes spin, sometimes not? Ride always seems the same. :lurk

Perhaps I don't ride fast enough. Never hit the spin cycle so to speak...

I have used Dyna Beads in the last 2 sets of Metzlers on my CLC with no complaints. I average 12K miles per set of tires, watch my air pressure, check my tires regularly and have experienced no vibration/wobble or uneven wear over the last 18K.

Plugs and beads???

Now, IF you happen to have a flat and plug your tire with beads in it! All the beads stick to the inserted snake plug and? What then! Seems interesting. I like the bead idea, but have no clue how it may or may not work. Lots of opinions here and SLIME has always been a balancer of sort too and works, I know. Another phenom I have had in most all my bikes(for years now) is NO balance at all seems to work quite great for me in recent years. I've not balanced any tires of the last 5-6 sets on my GSA1200 and KLT1200, with no balance issues:). I use NO Slime in tires unless a road emergency requires it and have had good success with the green goo as a temp fix...Randy:usa

Randy, I use the Dyna-Plugs with the beads and haven't had a problem. When I changed the tire, the little brass point was rolling around with the beads.

Tom

Now, IF you happen to have a flat and plug your tire with beads in it! All the beads stick to the inserted snake plug and? What then!

I don't think that anything would happen. The stuck on beads could be creating an out of balance condition but the rest would readjust to cancel it out.

I get the theory of the beads moving around to balance a wheel but what about tires that do not have a smooth internal surface? I have seen tires with an embossed pattern inside and I would think that these small shallow pockets would inhibit the distribution of the beads.

In any case, I'll try them out in my Turbo's next tire change as I hate weights on the gold anodized wheels.

Good:)_

The physics of it all, spinning wheels with debris in there to balance is a brain tease and makes good fodder for discussion here, per the # of posts:). I'm not a physics guy but love the anti alzheimers affect on my aging brain:). They say, work the noodle, helps keep the webs out! Beads, beads everywhere with lots of opinions. That valve guy, having them get stuck in his wheel air valve is a worry, maybe? I wonder how that works. I will still ride all my future tires to see if in fact I need ANY balance at all, before making the effort to balance. I've been lucky:). THX, Randy

Per Dyna Beads they will not balance the newer low/wide auto tires, as apparently they are unable to distribute themselves as needed.
As for the "texture" inside a tire, that goes with the fact that the bladders that inflate the tire into the mold have that texture on their outer surface and it's imparted to the tubeless layer inside the tire under the heat of curing. My beads have been trained to hop over those humps, thus not a problem...:dunno

I still thought beads went out with the 60's and the hippies.

They are making a come back. Just look at how many posts there are here in this thread about them.

Shoot I saw one walking down the road with his :thumb and a hand rolled ciggie in the other and looking like he just got back from Mardi Gras. :brad

So the spin test on a dynamic balance machine is invalid because it doesn't allow the wheel and tire to oscillate when out of balance. Therefore the oscillation is what makes the beads work. NO THANK YOU. The idea of balancing a wheel and tire is to eliminate the oscillation and resultant wear on suspension components. I'll do without the beads and balance my wheels and tires when mounting them and if necessary again at 6000 mile intervals. It is fairly easy to pull them and check the balance when doing a six thousand mile service.

The proof is in the ride.
I've run the beads in the last three sets of tires (Dunlop D404) and there has been a very noticiable difference in smoothness. Tire mileage has increased by 2000 miles and there has been zero cupping on the front tire. Coincidental? I don't know (or care), I will continue to use the beads.
The bike is a K75RT.

I static balance my tires. Unless you could x-ray through a tire as it was rolling down the road to actualy see what the beads were doing I can't see how you could prove one way or the other wheather they are working or not. If you think so please tell me how you COULD actually see them in action.Strictly as a test to put it to rest! I don't think so. There still snake oil,unproveable clearly one way or another.Just saying:stick

Please check post #43 in this thread and you will find a link someone posted. In the video they use ball bearings instead of the beads, but the technology and principle are the same. Granted that the way out of balance wheel they use is not rolling down the road, but it is spinning at a high rate and you can clearly see in the video that the bearings gravitate to the lighter side of the wheel, opposite of the large magnet they installed. Of course I guess the video could be Photoshopped! Just sayin'.......... :banghead

Don't waste your hard earned money on this kind of CRAP ! If your tires are balanced properly when they are mounted, all you have to do is go out and RIDE your bike 'till you need new tires again.

In 45 years of riding I have NEVER had to rebalance a tire before it wore out.

Spend your money on GAS !

Just my opinion :blush

Back