• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New top box, lock is inside, how to open

kctay

Hey,

My new 49L top box just arrived. The problem is, the lock assembly is inside the box, which appears to be locked (how I don't know since the assembly is inside, there is just a hole there). How do I open the box with the lock assembly missing?

Use an instrument such a screwdriver to reach into the back of the hole and push to release the paddle latch. Once inserted, the cylinder performs this function.

?

They actually send a box, unassembled? I cannot imagine why! The tip above seems logical though. I just do not understand why a new box needs to be secure, before ownership? Anyhow, good luck, enjoy your new topbox. I love my Jesse Pizza Box, GSA1200 Randy:usa

Thanks Kurt I'll try that. Polar, the box isn't "unassembled", just the locking mechanism isn't in place.

It has to be re-keyed prior to the insertion of the lock. BMW also sells the lock as a separate piece IIRC. The GS panniers require SIX of them!

Sometimes the lock mechanism turns to the "locked" position if there's no cylinder to hold it in place. Look inside with a flashlight and you can see the "ring" that rotates to lock/release. It's all plastic so be careful not to gouge it. Try using a paint can opener to rotate the ring if needed. Then a dowel or something blunt can be pushed in to unlatch it.

I have a new, never opened cylinder if you need one.

its shipped without the lock installed so you can fix it to be same as your ignition key. A fairly simple task of getting the wafers in correctly.

Toad, that is a good tip if I could get the box open to get to the lock assembly...

Get something about the same circumference as the hole where the lock goes. Stick it in there and turn it. You need to rotate the inside chamber of the lock repository.

Ok, used a large screwdriver to turn where the lock goes, this popped the handle, but not the latch? I tried pushing in, like how you open the side cases but this wouldn't work. Any more suggestions?

Ok, used a large screwdriver to turn where the lock goes, this popped the handle, but not the latch? I tried pushing in, like how you open the side cases but this wouldn't work. Any more suggestions?

The lock cylinder rotates CW to release the bag's hold on the bike; that pops the handle up. The lock cylinder also rotates CCW to release the triangular flap; pulling the flap opens the bag.

I think you turned it CW. Try CCW.

Ok, it continues.....
Got the lock re-keyed, slid it in the case, everything looked good....but...
The key only moves in two positions......
No doubt the receiver was in the wrong position when I slid the lock in.
So the question is; how do i get the lock out so I can re-position the receiver?
And what position does the receiver need to be in?

Ok, it continues.....
Got the lock re-keyed, slid it in the case, everything looked good....but...
The key only moves in two positions......
No doubt the receiver was in the wrong position when I slid the lock in.
So the question is; how do i get the lock out so I can re-position the receiver?
And what position does the receiver need to be in?

You may be in big trouble. Once in, the lock can not be removed without drilling!

Toad, no, you don't have to drill. I found a tutorial, but i can't get to the release through the access hole. Just wondered if someone had an easier way than to try to trip the release with a paperclip tapped to a screw driver. Plus, since the thing isn't in there right, I'm unsure if I have it in the locked position, which is were it has to be so the hole that allows you to release it is accessable.

Back