Thread: Losing Saddlebags?

Losing Saddlebags?

Has anyone experienced a hard bag coming adrift while on the road?
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

I too worry about this and each time I mount the bags I grab them and move them around in an attempt to pull them loose. They have stayed on.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

I one heard a thunk, looked in my mirrors and saw my tailpac chasing me down the road. Never did figure out how it detached itself.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    I one heard a thunk, looked in my mirrors and saw my tailpac chasing me down the road. Never did figure out how it detached itself.
    On a hexhead? I think that is what the OP is asking, but I may be in error.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Has anyone experienced a hard bag coming adrift while on the road?

But I don't think you were asking about a GS.

losing bags

I read a couple of posts about this on this forum and as a result I taped my name, address and phone # on the outside of my cases on the sides that face the bike. These are located in a place on the bag that is up against the bike so that they get minimal weather effects and can't be seen unless you detach the bag. Just in case...

Don

Good luck;

Its really bad luck, having the bags come loose. In my case, it was quite noisy, as i heard it passing me in the next lane on the freeway at 65mph. It was not bouncing, just sliding along. I saved it, before any autos creamed it and still use it to this day. I got lucky. An older Airhead bag on my R100/7. The old bag seems no worse for the wear. Best regards finding yours and I know the road well, over 17 and too many places for that bag to hide. Randy

I was asking about the side cases, as Marchyman divined. I've experienced Airhead cases coming off, and heard about Oilhead ones doing it, but had never heard about the recent Hexhead-type doing so. Still, I have tel numbers on a label on the inside face. I was just wondering whether I need spend the time to pin the lower front mount.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

David, for what it's worth I've only heard of issues with the GS bags on hexheads.

It was possible for the bags to come loose on some of the early '05 RTs as well as a few other models with similar bag design.

There was a service bulletin for loose bags and a retrofit kit that changed the straight locking tab to an L tab configuration. The problem with the kit was it was not compatable with the recieiver on the motorcycle frame.

For me, when the kit failed to work, they replaced the entire inner side case assembly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks, Limecreek, that's interesting. The bags on my bike were new in fall 2010, and are so tight when in place that it's sometimes hard to open the handle. Not even a trace of wiggle. Perhaps they're now providing the optional thicker pieces as standard.
    Last edited by dbrick; 05-15-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Kind of late to this thread, sorry....

Twice for me. The first time was in 2004 when my left stock hard bag came off my R1150R. My fault, as I didn't put it back on properly. The bag had scratches, but came out okay.

The second time was a few months ago. My left Vario bag came off my R1200GS during my clubs monthly Sunday breakfast run. Luckily nobody was hurt. It had been hit in a parking lot earlier that week and was fairly caved in. I just didn't know that the mounting system got busted up, too. It was a goner. I kept it on with a series of zip ties for a couple weeks until I replaced the Varios with a pair of Micatech Pilots. The Micatechs are great panniers. Elegant and sturdy mounting system, too.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

WDaigle
    +1 on the MicaTechs. I have the Pilot side cases and the medium top case with the medium pack rack. They are definitely sturdy(they advertise-tougher than a Mexican taxi)