• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sudden loss of power, 2007 R1200RT

elgin mary

I was cruising along a city street today at about 40m/p/h and all of a sudden, without any warning I lost all power. The engine quit. Got the bike to the side of the road and tried to restart it. Took some time, but it finally started right up as if nothing had happened. Weather was cool and humid. I took the back roads home, no interstate and all was fine. Bike has 20,000 miles and has been regularly serviced. :violin

Anybody have any ideas of what happened?

Mary
2007 R1200RT

Thanks for all the comments. I read the link that Patrick posted. If its either the controller or the pump, would it fail then work OK in 10 minutes? The bike hasn't been out in the rain and I don't wash it very often either. So, don't think there is an issue of water where it shouldn't be.

Mary
2007 R1200RT

Loose Battery Terminal Maybe?

2010 GSA - Happened to me twice in one day. Loose 'negative' battery terminal. Tightened up, all is well.

Side Stand Interlock Switch - Possibility

I have a 2009 R1200RT and while riding it the engine would start then die when put in gear but eventually it would run down the road OK. Then while riding down the road at 50mph the engine died a fun ride to say the least.

I checked the system with my GS911 service tool and discovered the side stand switch was not functioning properly. I was able to cut the wires on the switch and tie the white wire to the brown wire together to by-pass the switch and the bike has run fine ever since.

There is also an interlock switch on the clutch as well but I have not had any experience of that switch failing but the systems would be very similar.

The side stand switch is located at the top of the side stand and as such is subject to being hit by rocks, road dirt, rain and other general road treats.

I am sure there are a lot of different problems that could be causing your problem this is just one more to add to the list.

Check out this website for more information on the side stand interlock switch:

http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/sidestand

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments. I read the link that Patrick posted. If its either the controller or the pump, would it fail then work OK in 10 minutes?

Several people reported intermittent operation before their fuel pump driver module quit for good. Also, not all fule pump driver modules failed due to moisture or corrosion.

Have you checked your battery cables, yet?

Checked the battery cables and they are on tightly. Not the problem, unfortunately. Looks like I need to visit a dealer and have it checked out with all the diagnostic tools.

Mary
2007 R1200RT

When the engine died did the starter motor still turn over when you tried to restart? If so, that would rule out loose battery cable and sidestand switch faults. You'd probably then be back to an intermittent fueling problem.

I carry one of the burnsmoto.com jumper assemblies, but in hindsight I wish I had replaced my old style FPC (and kept it as the backup).

Back