• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thinking of a G650GS

WI Sharon

So I'm at the thinking/pondering stage of a dual sport and sort of looking at the G650GS but I've always had shaft bikes.
Oh and I'm low to the ground.

So does anyone who has one love it, like it, hate it? Looking for some opinions. Also, how bad is the maintenance?
:newtoy

I had an F650 and I enjoyed it. You just have to keep the chain lubed. The rear wheel gets dirty from the oil. I don't recall any awful maintenance problems.

I did some distance riding and was comfortable.

My inseam is 31" and I could almost flat foot it.

Are you looking to supplement your fleet? Check out the chain gang at F650.com

Voni and I travel by motorcycle for 5 to 7 months each summer. Some long days. Some short days. Three years ago we went to Alaska on F650 Funduros. No issues with the bikes really. Mine eventually needed steering head bearings.

This year we are traveling until mid-September. I had my choice of three bikes to take this summer: an R1150R, F650 single (like a G650 but older), or K75. I am riding the F650 outfitted for adventure travel with full camping/living gear for 5 months.

I think they are great bikes.

Annie has an 07 F650GS (the equivalent of the current G650GS) and loves the bike. I had a Dakar version of the bike as well and thought it was a good bike. There is a website dedicated to these bikes (f650.com also known as the Chain Gang) and it provides a great deal of info about the mechanical aspects of the bikes and about accessories.

Annie has about 20K miles on her bike and the only issues we've had are fork seals. I replaced the chain and of course tires. It has been dependable and suited well for long road trips to the states of riding the haul road to Prudhoe. If the there is one issue I have with the bike it is the somewhat overly complicated procedure for changing the oil, but even that is not a significant problem once you've done it. The newer G bikes may have simplified the process from what I can tell through a casual look at the bikes.

I would summarize our opinions of the thumpers as saying the are dependable, forgiving, flexible and easy to ride.

I just purchased my second BMW 650 from the wonderful people at BMW of Atlanta, located in Marietta, GA. I absolutely LOVE IT! My first bike was a 2003 F650(single-spark) and never had a problem with it. I/BMW Atlanta replaced the tires, chain and sprocket at 16,000 miles. Purchased the 2010 G650GS model last month (4/2011) and notice that it seems to accelerate, cruise and shift smoother than the 2003 model F650 (which at the time,I thought was smooth as could be).
I would recommend changing the stock BMW lead-acid battery with a maintenance free (AGM?) battery to avoid acid-overflow spitting onto the frame.
Did this battery-change on the 2003 F650 and plan on same for the 2010 model asap. Other than keeping the bike, fluids and chain clean, I never had any problems with the 650. Also rode my spouse two-up a number of times and the 650 did great at that as well. In my opinion, it is the best value for the money of all motorcycles. Very safe, comfortable, easy to ride and super fun!

Happy GS motoring!

Rebel Rider

Last edited:
Back