• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lost Side Case

-CRASH-

Some where between the summit on HWY 17 just east of Santa Cruz and downtown Mountain View, California via HWY 85 my left saddle bag/case/pannier vaporized. Got to lunch and it was missing. Never heard or felt anything.

If you spot it or its remains please let me know. Metallic Green from a BMW 2004 K1200GT. BMWMOA sticker, Rounders sticker, reflective tape around it as well. Had all my tools, red first aid kit, yellow flashlight, digital tire gauge and so on so maybe it was just too heavy and finally broke the latch, no idea.

Sorry to hear:(

Mine came off years ago and I heard it as it passed me! What a shock as I looked over at it sliding along in the middle freeway lane...I'm sorry some motorist did not take time to give you a shout, as I have had this happen too, somebody tries to help. Maybe you were non catchable and I understand that too in traffic. Know the roads well over there. Good luck, Randy

Thanks Gary, that thread is what even gave me any hope to post at all.
Your welcome, happy to help. The other missing bag is in Regional Midwest so with a post in the Regional forum and one in the Campfire section the exposure should be good. It took a month for the one in Maine so here's hopin'.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your side case, Dan. That is one advantage to the panniers on the R1200CL bikes -- they don't come off without a screwdriver. I did, however, have one pop open and dump everything into the ditch somewhere along the Sherwood Park Freeway/Anthony Henday Drive here in southeast Edmonton. Broken latching system that was repaired under warranty ($1100.00 for the part). Thankfully everything that was lost was easily replaceable.

Some where between the summit on HWY 17 just east of Santa Cruz and downtown Mountain View, California via HWY 85 my left saddle bag/case/pannier vaporized. Got to lunch and it was missing. Never heard or felt anything.

If you spot it or its remains please let me know. Metallic Green from a BMW 2004 K1200GT. BMWMOA sticker, Rounders sticker, reflective tape around it as well. Had all my tools, red first aid kit, yellow flashlight, digital tire gauge and so on so maybe it was just too heavy and finally broke the latch, no idea.

It's not naive to have some real hope that the bag and contents will appear. Since you have read the long thread regarding my little 'lost and found' adventure you can see that the network resources available here at the Forum and also beyond (ie bike shops, general citizens, LEOs etc) is inspirational as well as 'rubber to the road' practical. Like you, it was my left saddlebag and I had terrible images of it all rolling under some oncoming vehicle and unceremoniously pulverized forthwith. In fact it slid to the side of the road and being green is sort of blended in with all the grass. Now my side bags are bolted, signed and strapped. I wish you the same good fortune! - Bob

Back